Relief Pitcher/Switch Hitter Bug

bigwhit

This one might be a toughie, but if someone could fix this it woudl be nice. Whenever a switch hitter is up to bat and you bring in a pitcher that throws witht he opposite arm, the hitter automatically goes to the other side of the plate. Obviously they cannot do this in real life, they have to finish on the side they start. Example below

Switch Hitter Jorge Posada is up. Schilling is on the Mound (rightie) So Posada Starts off left handed. I bring in Halama (Leftie) and it puts posada on the right side of the plate.

Pretty dumb if you ask me.

any way, if there is any way to fix this, it would be might nice, because you can create mismatches that way. start a switch hitter with one pitcher and relief someone in, to screw him up.

thanks

bigwhit.

Did you replace Schilling before or after a pitch was made to Posada? To my knowledge, if the at-bat hadn't even started, the batter can switch sides as much as he wants. Now say Schilling had already thrown a pitch or two to Posada before being pulled, I don't know what that rule would call for there.

I think the rule was designed to keep batters from switching sides when the pitcher was ready. If time is called, and it was, since there was a pitching change, he can go freely to the other side, from what I can tell.

Also, in MVP, you bring in a pinch hitter for someone who already has a count on them.

Eg) Mulder is up, and I forgot that he was my pitchers. The count is now 2-1. I swap him out with Cedeno.

I don't THINK this is allowed in real life.

BUT, what if the batter incurs an injury (sprained ankle on a swing or something, because a HBP wouldn't matter in this case)

"Rule 6.06(B):

A batter is out for illegal action when - he steps from one batter's box to the other when the pitcher is in position ready to pitch."

The way I translate the batter's section of the rulebook is that you can change sides between pitches as long as it's done in a promptly manner and until the pitcher has come set and is ready to deliver a pitch.

From what I can tell there is nothing in the rulebook about not being allowed to put in a pinch hitter mid-count. I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before but it's definetly not a common occurance.

• 1 year later...

total BS Joepritch 2, you often see 0 IP lines for relief pitchers.

For example a lefthander pitcher who failed to get the lefty batter out is IMMEDIATELY ouf of the game, with no batter "finished" (pardon me if by finish you mean he must have gotten to the next batter, by HBP, walk or hit...).

You can ph with any count, although stupid/dangerous, and you can switch-hit while in an AB, provided the pitcher isn't ready... (if he is, you might get called for a strike)

"Rule 6.06(B):

A batter is out for illegal action when - he steps from one batter's box to the other when the pitcher is in position ready to pitch."

The way I translate the batter's section of the rulebook is that you can change sides between pitches as long as it's done in a promptly manner and until the pitcher has come set and is ready to deliver a pitch.

From what I can tell there is nothing in the rulebook about not being allowed to put in a pinch hitter mid-count. I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before but it's definetly not a common occurance.

That is correct. A switch hitter can go to the other side during an at bat, but a switch pitcher cannot switch arms during an at bat.

That is correct. A switch hitter can go to the other side during an at bat, but a switch pitcher cannot switch arms during an at bat.

Not quite true, if the batter chooses to switch sides, the pitcher has the option to switch hands, knowing this as a pitcher who throws with both arms...

For example a lefthander pitcher who failed to get the lefty batter out is IMMEDIATELY ouf of the game, with no batter "finished" (pardon me if by finish you mean he must have gotten to the next batter, by HBP, walk or hit...).

You can ph with any count, although stupid/dangerous, and you can switch-hit while in an AB, provided the pitcher isn't ready... (if he is, you might get called for a strike)

wrong. Joepritch2 was right. A pitcher could theoretically pitch to as many batters as he wants to, not record an out, and still be credited with 0 IP.

A pitcher must finish pitching to at least one batter before he can be yanked from the game.

In your example, the lefthander pitcher can be yanked as long as he pitches to one batter. What the result of pitching to that batter does not matter, just that the next batter come up.

Not quite true, if the batter chooses to switch sides, the pitcher has the option to switch hands, knowing this as a pitcher who throws with both arms...

Obviously, I couldn't find it, but I was previously under the assumption that once a batter has chosen a side, he cannot switch unless a pitching change is made, at which time he has the opportunity to swap sides of the plate.

Thinking on the matter, I believe the batter can freely switch sides between pitches, but more than likely, the umpire will ask him to pick a side and stay there. Constantly switching will likely peeve the ump off.

Obviously, I couldn't find it, but I was previously under the assumption that once a batter has chosen a side, he cannot switch unless a pitching change is made, at which time he has the opportunity to swap sides of the plate.

Thinking on the matter, I believe the batter can freely switch sides between pitches, but more than likely, the umpire will ask him to pick a side and stay there. Constantly switching will likely peeve the ump off.

Yep, that there is exactly it, I wouldn't count on having a small strike zone for the hitter after switching in between every pitch. There was this one kid who thought he was slick and did that, so I just went right handed and threw a pitch I had never thrown before to strike him out. I threw a splitter, which no one had seen from me, so it pissed him off and the umpire was glad to give me the strike.

Wow, not only are you totally wrong but you're a huge jerk. If a pitcher does not record an out then it's 0 ip in the box score no matter how few or many batters he pitches to. Finishing an at bat is all it takes.

Archived