Pitchers: What do you throw?

fundusglobus

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take that time off, because my velocity dropped the last few starts too, I didn't strike out anybody in a 4 inning outing I last pitched in, I didn't strike anyone out and I average at least one per inning.

But for a good pitcher, my youngest brother is 13, and he throws about 65. He likes throwing sinkers that my other brother taught him, but I made him stop it and have him develop a circle change. Also made him use a 4 seamer/2 seamer mix, and he's got good movement too.

Well I'm 15 now playing in a 16-17 year old league, and there's a new pitch I've seen for the first time. A changeup. I don't have problems with fastballs, 2 seamers, or curveballs, but for me a good changeup is a hard pitch to hit. I'm still batting around .490 but there was this one kid who I faced twice, and his changeup is just dirty and is extremely hard to pick up and hit. I don't care what people say but a changup, at least for me, is a harder pitch to pick up when it has no rotation or spin like a curveball does.

Anyway I don't know if I've posted in this thread, and I wouldn't say I'm a pitcher but I do occasionaly pitch.

15 years old.

Fastball 80 mph, which moves in on the hands of a righty for some reason.

Changeup- 70 mph, doesnt really dip, I just keep it low and get hitters fishing.

Splitter- I don't throw this unless I'm geting hit hard early, or if I'm getting to my third time in the order,just to mix it up.

It always amazes me at the sheer great, young talent we have on this site. The way all you guys hype yourselves up, makes me want to believe that the MLB will have great talent for many years to come.

Although, I am sure no one is going to come right out and say they suck...so I will start. I was a mediocre baseball player, who hit for some power, but not much for an average....couldn't pitch worth a damn, but was an above-average fielder.

Can't remember much stats, but I know they really weren't worth posting.

I don't see myself as a superstar, I only play in Babe Ruth and I'm a good pitcher in that league, but nothing special, especially at 17. I have the desire and passion, but my talent isn't exactly as high as those. I'm always gonna have that dream, but I'm not gonna be the first overall pick in the draft or break the HR record.

• 1 month later...

update:

4-seamer, still moves like a 2 seamer. 80 mph

2 seam- little bit of sink, decent movement 77 mph

straigh change- looks like beckets change-up. striaght down, iffy movement, 72 mph

curve- 1-7, 68 mph so-so controll, decent movement.

slider- in-between 1-7 and 12-6. 70 mph. good controll, good movement.

whoever told me to try and learn that slider, thank you very much, you may have gotten me a scholarship. without that pitch, im just another lefty pitcher with a slow fastball and an average curve. thank you so much.

Update:

4 Seam FB; 70-ish with control, 70+ with more power. Moves like 2 seam if thrown 3/4 delivery or lower. Drops if wrist turned over.

Cutter-65-70; moves a lot like a slider.

Knuckleball- 50-55; Nice and slow, not much control anymore. Effective if accurate.

Spike Curve - 55-60; I dig my index finger into the ball with my middle finger riding along the seam. Moves like Zito's curve.

"Choke" Curveball- 55-65; I choke the ball, and roll my wrist and it drops.

Knucklecurve - ???; more of an experimental pitch, really slow, but nice break if the ball spins a bit. I have mastered the elbow/shoulder movements to get it to break.

Im in Little Leauge.

Im about 5.9

I can throw....

4SeamFastBall - Perfect Control - Around 78 mph.

2SeamFastBall - Average Control - Around 68 mph.

Sinker - Not so good control - around 53 mph.

Knuckle - Bad Control - Around 46 mph.

ChangeUp - Perfect Control - Around 57 mph.

I know how to throw a curve but i never throw it. My next pitch to learn will be a cutter

Update:

4 Seam FB; 70-ish with control, 70+ with more power. Moves like 2 seam if thrown 3/4 delivery or lower. Drops if wrist turned over.

Cutter-65-70; moves a lot like a slider.

Knuckleball- 50-55; Nice and slow, not much control anymore. Effective if accurate.

Spike Curve - 55-60; I dig my index finger into the ball with my middle finger riding along the seam. Moves like Zito's curve.

"Choke" Curveball- 55-65; I choke the ball, and roll my wrist and it drops.

Knucklecurve - ???; more of an experimental pitch, really slow, but nice break if the ball spins a bit. I have mastered the elbow/shoulder movements to get it to break.

the spike curve is a knucklecurve.

yankee-4-ever, how can your sinker and 2 seamer be 10-15 mph off from each other when its the same pitch? and how do you get 21 mph off your change-up? and please describe "perfect controll" for me.

• 1 month later...

I'll take that time off, because my velocity dropped the last few starts too, I didn't strike out anybody in a 4 inning outing I last pitched in, I didn't strike anyone out and I average at least one per inning.

But for a good pitcher, my youngest brother is 13, and he throws about 65. He likes throwing sinkers that my other brother taught him, but I made him stop it and have him develop a circle change. Also made him use a 4 seamer/2 seamer mix, and he's got good movement too.

hows you arm been doing d-unit? the same thing happend to me this summer, play a ton of pickup games with some old friends. threw 90 pitches one day, 70 the next, 50 the next day, and 40 the next day. i thought my arm was gonna fall off. i was pretty scared for a while.

Although, I am sure no one is going to come right out and say they suck...
Well, as a pitcher, I really suck. I have awful control if I put any velocity on it, and only decent control with a BP fastball. I've tried numerous deliveries, doesn't work to good for me. I'm more of a hitter, I'm actually a pretty decent fielder, I like 2nd because I have the range but not the arm for SS. I'm not a great hitter, but I'm not entirely awful. Not major league material. :)

Alright, so this may or not be the prime time to "preach" but I always feel obliged. For all the the guys still playin' out there, make sure you take good care of your arm, do the proper exercises (rotator cuff) etc. Don't worry about how hard you throw, make sure you throw correctly.

I had Tommy John about 2 and half years back because I had horrible mechanics. I threw hard but my mechanics were off and I've lost a majority of my velocity. I got stuck playing 1st (which kinda sucked) and I still can't properly straighten my arm.

I know a lot of people do things the right way but there are a few people that risk some serious injuries (and pain) for a couple extra MPH. Just food for thought.

the spike curve is a knucklecurve.

no, i mean a true knucklecurve. a knuckleball that breaks. its kinda weird. i sling my arm like a rubber band to make it curve, but the ball has minimal spin.

• 5 months later...

I have a lot, but haven't done much since high school (20 years old, RHP), so I'm unsure how it would fair from righty to lefty.

Moving 4 FB - 60ish at last check (oddly, all of my pitches have a weird spin, I have no idea why, which sucks when I'm on the field and trying to throw to a base)

Change (12-6) - typical

Cutter (3-9) - (I love this one, 3rd best pitch)

2 FB - (9-3/10-4) (I love this one too, 2nd best pitch)

Splitter - (12-6) somtimes it works like magic, sometimes it doesn't move at all and sits on a tee

Power Curve (2-6/7) (aka hard curve with less movement)

Sinker - (12-6/11-5) still tweaking it, but decent

Circle Change (12-6) - in production, pitch sometimes works, location is there

Curve (2-8) - working on it, slow and lanky and hangs in the air, often lit up

Game situation - Moving FB, 2 FB, Cutter, Change, Sinker on occasion

4 seamer: probably tops out at 87

2 seamer: consistently around 84-85 with movement

Curve: 12-6 and sharp. Probably around the low 70s

Changeup: around the low 70s with tailing action

All ya need in high school is 3 good pitches and you're set. I play in one of the toughest districts in class 5A Texas baseball (these schools all have around 3000 students), so the competition is there.

4 seamer: probably tops out at 87

2 seamer: consistently around 84-85 with movement

Curve: 12-6 and sharp. Probably around the low 70s

Changeup: around the low 70s with tailing action

All ya need in high school is 3 good pitches and you're set. I play in one of the toughest districts in class 5A Texas baseball (these schools all have around 3000 students), so the competition is there.

man! are you a senior? and what college you goin to?

guys, post your stats in my thread.

2-seam fastball - 72 mph

4-seam fastball - 75 mph

curveball - 69 mph

*all speeds are estimated

Technically, I'm not even a pitcher, but coach put me in for 2 innings on a whim and I didn't do so bad. Maybe I can see more action on the mound, but until then, I'm strictly middle infield.