To All Red Sox and Yankees Fans Alike

mastasports1

I just finished the first chapter of Dan Shaughnessy's "Reversing the Curse," and I was barely paying attention to what I was reading. Why? About 10 pages through, a little idea struck me.

What if a group of modders was able to band together and create something spectacular - a Red Sox/Yankees Rivalry mod - complete with decade-by-decade Yankee Stadiums and Fenway Parks, complete rosters, logos, jerseys, and whatever else?

Just imagine replaying the 1978 game of Bucky Dent, or Aaron Boone's walkoff shot in 2003, in stadiums accurate to that decade or game. It would be exhilarting. I would like to see Red Sox fans and Yankees fans of the board to band together and make something to contribute to the best rivalry in sports. It would truly be fantasic.

If I had more time, I would seriously love to create Fenway through the ages, from the 1912 version, to the 1934 renovation, to the 1940s Williamsburg era, to 1967 World Series, to 75 World Series, to 1976 with the new scoreboard, to 1986 World Series, and then to 2002 pre-monster seats. But, sadly time is going to be severely lacking lately, but that would be incredible.

And, of course, we'd have to have the Huntington Avenue Grounds and Hilltop Park to make it completely accurate, wouldn't we?

I just finished the first chapter of Dan Shaughnessy's "Reversing the Curse," and I was barely paying attention to what I was reading. Why? About 10 pages through, a little idea struck me.

What if a group of modders was able to band together and create something spectacular - a Red Sox/Yankees Rivalry mod - complete with decade-by-decade Yankee Stadiums and Fenway Parks, complete rosters, logos, jerseys, and whatever else?

Just imagine replaying the 1978 game of Bucky Dent, or Aaron Boone's walkoff shot in 2003, in stadiums accurate to that decade or game. It would be exhilarting. I would like to see Red Sox fans and Yankees fans of the board to band together and make something to contribute to the best rivalry in sports. It would truly be fantasic.

I agree that this would be fun. Some of these teams are already in the TotalClassics rosters.

For example, using TotalClassics Phase 2, you CAN replay the '78 Bucky Dent game, since the '78 Yankees and '78 Red Sox are there today (I've played these teams against each other a number of times). You can play Joe Dimaggio vs. Ted Williams as both the '41 Yankees and '41 Red Sox are also there.

Phase 3 of Total Classics (which I'm helping with) will add the '75 Red Sox (so you can try to recreate Fisk's World Series Game 6 homerun) and the '77 Yankees.

I have Red Sox Century the book, and it has bunches of photos about how fenway has elvolved, so i can help on the detail. This is a great idea.

Ironically, I have a similar book, except it's the official 100 Year Retrospective of the Yankees.

Being a long time member of Red Sox Nation (b. 1968, earliest rememberances of the Sox, 1976, which is before a lot of members here were born..LOL...yeah, I'm and old fart.. :p ), I would love to see this come about.

I was at the last game of the year, 1978 (a 5-0 win over Toronto), that forced that (in)famous (depending on who you rooted for) "Bucky Dent" game.

<off topic> For the Love of God, YES!! Yes, Jim Ed Rice BELONGS in the HOF dammit! When, oh when, will people wake up and vote him in?!?!? </off topic>

I still don't think the Sox have had as good a 1-2 jump start at the top of the order as they did back in the late 70's, with Remy and Burleson batting 1-2. "Scoot" and "Boot" they used to call 'em on WSBK-TV38. :p If Edgah finds a groove, he and Johnny could do it though.

This would be a pretty ambitious project, but immensely popular if done well. Hope you guys can pull it off if you do try.

And, of course, we'd have to have the Huntington Avenue Grounds and Hilltop Park to make it completely accurate, wouldn't we?

I'm hoping someone will reproduce the old Huntington Avenue grounds in some form, apart from or inclusive with this idea. Complete down to the shed (which was in play) 635 feet from home plate in center field.

I've got a field technician job, servicing the registers and other computers in eastern MA supermarkets (from Revere to Falmouth, and over to Providence, RI). I cover one store in Brookline, which to get to, I have to drive down Huntington Ave. I wonder what it must have looked like, as I pass thru the intersection of Huntington and Forsyth streets....behind where the left field wall once stood.

• 2 weeks later...

[OC]Mr_B,

Just read your post and couldn't help but smile. I, also was born in 1968 and became a Yankee fan in 1975, when I became aware that this city even had a team playing a sport called baseball.

I've been to several Yankees games, most of them during the early 1990's watching the immortal Matt Nokes and Mell Hall carry on the tradition (LOL). I will acknowledge to you that a significant portion of "Yankee" fans are simply bandwagon hoppers that support the team only because they are winning, but cannot tell you anything about the lean years. That is why I've always had a great respect for both Cubs and Red Sox fans, that live and die with every passing season.

Also wanted to let you know, Yes, Jim Rice is a Hall-of-Famer in my book. He was a dangerous hitter in the 70's and do not understand the voting system in baseball that just simply use numbers as a basis for excellence. To me, the stats should reflect one of the criteria that is to be used in the voting process, not the definitive answer. True Yankee fans will acknowledge that he scared the crap out of us every tiime he came up with men in scoring position.

Finally, congrats on winning the WS. I was crushed when we lost to you, but will admit, you deserved to win. Damon and especially Ortiz was a beast that entire series. :hail:

Archived