I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a gamepad

GoChiefs

well, you guys talked me into it. I picked up a saitek P880 after work last night, and sure enough my calibration issues dissapeared.

BTW: they get much higher reviews than the logitechs do in the Circuit City's user reviews.

but here is my question, I can't find my pick-off moves now, what gives? I try to hold down 5 or 7 and hit first but no go .. what buttons are the pickoff moves on that controller?

thanks!

Definitely don't want a rumblepad. Force feedback is just gay.

Forcefeedback is stupid in any game but MVP Baseball. It is the best tool to paint the corners without seeing the ball cursor, mostly in head to head games. Believe me, I hated forcefeedback and used to desable it until I knew how it works for MVP 2004/2005 and how to use it on the mound.

I don't like the looks of the Saitek due to its having 6 buttons on the face...

I have the logitech rumblepad and the thrustmaster firestorm, both are good...the thrustmaster needs some toying with to get the diagonals to work properly on games though since it registers as a circle and not as a square - in other words if you hit the upper right corner, it does not register as to the furthest extreme on the x and y axis...

almstsobur - The pickoff buttons are still 5 & 7, just hold either one down and then press the base you want to throw to.

As for which controller to buy I highly suggest you go to the Circuit City website and read the reviews of all controllers (the Saitek p880 gets the highest marks) before making a decision. I have owned 2 of the logitech dual action controllers and they both had calibration issues, I will never own one of those ever again. I now own the Saitek p880 and am very happy with it.

For those who think having 6 buttons on the front will be difficult it really isn't because you hardly ever use buttons 5 & 6 and they are smaller than the other 4 buttons. Also even though MVP2005's display is set up for the logitech while you're playing the game, the pitch type buttons coorespond directly to the button position on the Saitek. Meaning that a 4 seam FB is the button middle button (button 2 on the logitech controller) but you still press the same exact button position on the Saitek (button 3). If a pitch type indicates it is button 6 (right trigger on the logitech) then on the Saitek you would still press the right trigger which is actually botton 8. So if you are used to the logitech controller and are having issues you can easily switch over to the Saitek and there is no new buttons to learn.

Hope this helps.

I've used my keyboard on sports games for the better part of a decade now....with your blessings and reccomendations, I'll grab a controller. Kicking and screaming mind you. :cry:

I don't want to break the bank, so nothing too expensive.

I bought a generic controller at Best Buy for $10 that looks identical to a PS2 controller. It works great for MVP, NBA Live and Madden. It's one of the best deals I've ever found in gaming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Downey

www.tabletop-sports.com

www.downeygames.com

almstsobur - The pickoff buttons are still 5 & 7, just hold either one down and then press the base you want to throw to.

As for which controller to buy I highly suggest you go to the Circuit City website and read the reviews of all controllers (the Saitek p880 gets the highest marks) before making a decision. I have owned 2 of the logitech dual action controllers and they both had calibration issues, I will never own one of those ever again. I now own the Saitek p880 and am very happy with it.

For those who think having 6 buttons on the front will be difficult it really isn't because you hardly ever use buttons 5 & 6 and they are smaller than the other 4 buttons. Also even though MVP2005's display is set up for the logitech while you're playing the game, the pitch type buttons coorespond directly to the button position on the Saitek. Meaning that a 4 seam FB is the button middle button (button 2 on the logitech controller) but you still press the same exact button position on the Saitek (button 3). If a pitch type indicates it is button 6 (right trigger on the logitech) then on the Saitek you would still press the right trigger which is actually botton 8. So if you are used to the logitech controller and are having issues you can easily switch over to the Saitek and there is no new buttons to learn.

Hope this helps.

Exactly what I was thinking while I was reading this thread. :)

Archived