Meet the voices behind MVP baseball

Yankee4Life

Duane Kuiper

2B 1974-85 Indians, Giants

Career: 1.057 games, .271 batting average, 1 home run and 263 runs batted in.

An outstanding fielder who twice led AL second basemen in fielding percentage, Kuiper's disciplined hitting style made him a fine spoiler: three times (against Andy Hassler, Nolan Ryan, and Ron Guidry), he was the only man to get a hit. On August 29, 1977 after 1,381 ML at-bats without a home run, he finally popped one, off Steve Stone. In his remaining 1,997 plate appearances, the lean infielder managed (intentionally, he contends) to not hit another one. The clowning Kuiper took a warped pride in his accomplishment, saying: "One is better than none, but any more than that and people start expecting them."

Mike Krukow

RHP 1976-89 Cubs, Phillies, Giants

Career: IP:2,190 W 124, L 117, ERA 3.90

After nine seasons as a consistent but unspectacular starter, Krukow starred for the Giants in 1986, recording career bests in wins (20), ERA (3.05), and strikeouts (178) and finishing third in the NL Cy Young balloting. Prior to 1986 the 6'5" curveballer rarely completed games and had never won more than 13 games despite making regular starts for whichever team he played for. In 1987-89 he was hampered by injuries, winning only 16 games. Krukow's 20 wins in 1986 were the most by a Giants pitcher since Ron Bryant won 24 in 1973.

These guys even got their own fan website. Don't ask me why. Kuiper is ok to listen to in the game but this Krukow guy must of had too many liners off of his head. Right big boy?

Grab some pin MEAT!!! Fan site

Yeah they get pretty annoying. They should have put better homerun calls in the game. And the "Grab some pine meat." has something to do with going back to the dug out or something? Or maybe the pine is referring to the bat.. Like get your bat and sit down..? I have no idea.

I am sure they are a lot better in real life then they are in the game. Especially Krukow. I have to here at least six "big boys" a game when I am playing my total classics practice games.

nah they're not like that in real life.. they do say some of the things from time to time but not with the regularity of the game.. they often are talking about some of the player's history while their batting or the pitchers history

from a giants fan's perspective...

yeah...krukow always teases kuiper for having that 1 home run in his career...

i am proud to say that ever since i've been watching giants games, i have not fallen asleep during any of their broadcasts...krukow and kuiper have always been an entertaining tandem to listen to...even this season, when the giants aren't doing so well right now, they are still great to listen to...

i happen to like kuiper's somewhat dry but smooth and direct delivery, and i enjoy krukow's attention to detail on the game of baseball, whether it be the mechanics of delivering a pitch, swinging a bat, running the bases, chasing flyballs, etc...he knows it all...

together, they really know how to apply their knowledge of the game to make commentary work and keep baseball fresh, and when they call the game, you can tell that they are more than just ex-mlb players...unlike some commentators (especially joe morgan and tim mccarver...not sure why those guys are still doing color)

now after saying all this, it's a shame that EA didn't give them more leeway to their calls in the game...because I personally think that the game makes them look dumb, and they are clearly not.

if you guys have a free extra innings preview from your cable or dish company, you can listen to mike kurkrow right now vs. the dodgers...hear his real voice.

on directv, it's on 746.

more about our mvp announcers. :wtg:

Archived