Weird MVP 05 question / rule clarification

Sean O

Hey all-

So, I was playing a game yesterday at Busch Stadium, I was batting, and smacked a ball to left field. The Left Fielder gave chase, dove for the ball in fair ground, made contact with the ball in foul ground, but did not catch it. So the ball hit his glove in foul ground without actually touching the grass, and bounced from his glove into fair ground. So, the fielder essentially deflected it from foul to fair ground.

Now, shouldn't this be considered a fair ball? The first piece of ground it contacted was fair, even if the trajectory showed it to be foul. Why would the fielder's deflection not cause it to be fair?

A FOUL BALLis a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground. A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the infielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball. A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitcher's rubber and rebounds into foul territory, between home and first, or between home and third base is a foul ball.

:wtg:

Hey all-

So, I was playing a game yesterday at Busch Stadium, I was batting, and smacked a ball to left field. The Left Fielder gave chase, dove for the ball in fair ground, made contact with the ball in foul ground, but did not catch it. So the ball hit his glove in foul ground without actually touching the grass, and bounced from his glove into fair ground. So, the fielder essentially deflected it from foul to fair ground.

Now, shouldn't this be considered a fair ball? The first piece of ground it contacted was fair, even if the trajectory showed it to be foul. Why would the fielder's deflection not cause it to be fair?

LOL... without all the legal terms, MVP called it correctly by calling it a foul ball. Since at the time it was touched by the player it was in foul territory.

Wow! "A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitcher's rubber and rebounds into foul territory"

I'd like to see that happen. I've hit the pitcher in the butt and the ball rebounded straight upward but the above has never happened in real life and I'd like to see that happen. And maybe hitting the pitcher in the butt too.

Archived