Site (database) upgrade: Please read

Trues

trues, mark, etc. i don't want to seem redundant with everybody else's posts about the same things, but i thought i'd list my problems to see if they're the same problems others are having or if they're different. it takes about 30 seconds to load most pages and it took a minute or longer to go from page 1 to page 2 on this thread. i don't see a download section at all anymore and i don't see my avatar on the left side. i sure did like the forum, downloads, etc buttons at the top of the page for easy and quick access. i also liked my avatar shown on the left side panel when i accessed this site. it let me know if i was signed in or needed to sign it because i had to sign in to all of my favorite sites after i ran spyware checks, etc. speaking of avatars in case i have to reinstall one, where do i get baseball team avatars to use with this site and others? i can't remember where i got the one i'm using for this site ( the STL st. louis logo).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The avatar collection can be accessed in the My Account page. You click on "Change Info" and at the bottom were you can see your avatar, click on show gallery -> MLB. Find your team and click submit changes at the bottom.

The avatar collection can be accessed in the My Account page. You click on "Change Info" and at the bottom were you can see your avatar, click on show gallery -> MLB. Find your team and click submit changes at the bottom.

the transactions are piling up on the DB so depending on when you click you would be placed in a queue. If the queue is small you'll get right through, if it's long, then you'll be waiting :).

Trues, if the the whole user menu on the left is counting in real time than that's your bottleneck. I'd recommend caching those values if you want to show them. If that's in realtime then it's counting every row in the DB to get to that number. Multiply that by every user by every page, that's a lot of hits for very little reward.

Im sure Trues is as frustrated, but the speed issues are incredible. Not just the download section, the individual site pages, too. In terms of the look, after some getting used to, I think it's a great change :wtg:

Quick update:

As you can see, the problem still exists in the download module. I couldn't take the slowness anymore so I went ahead and disabled it for now. I know this is a great inconvenience to all but it's the only thing I can do at the moment.

I'll keep plugging away until it's fixed.

Thanks

Man this is faster but this defeats the whole purpose of the site! Maybe you can try shutting down the forums until the kinks with download are worked out?

The problem is with the downloads module. Shutting down the forums would serve no purpose.

Believe me, I know it sucks but that's how it goes sometimes. :wall:

As far as the Yankees fan thread goes, I'm having the same problem. It only seems to go up to page 344. If you want to access it and post, go to the first page, then, in the address bar, change the part that says "start=0" to "start=5145". That will take you to the latest posts, but the last 3 pages don't work for some reason.

For now, I'm more concerned at the amount of idiots who don't read than the fact that the downloads are temporarily unavailable. It baffles me, it really does.

Perhaps if you put a notice up on the front page, saying site upgrade in progress, downloads may be unavailable etc.. you'll get less idiotic questions.

just a suggestion.

Perhaps if you put a notice up on the front page, saying site upgrade in progress, downloads may be unavailable etc.. you'll get less idiotic questions.

just a suggestion.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that from the start. Thanks

just a suggestion.

Yeah I think that's a good idea Hory, since I was looking for the downloads section earlier but found this link that MarkB posted somewhere in another thread. I kinda had to search for it a little but I did find it before I made another idiotic post about "Where are the downloads?" and got him even more frustrated than he is now. Anyway, yeah post a note on the front page letting everyone know that it will be disabled for a while until the issue is resolved. Later!!!

Well, the downloads module has been re-activated and the speed is pretty comparable to when it wasn't enabled (for me at least), which is good news. I just hope it sticks that way.

Archived