his name was john dowd

medric822

Some of you may have wondered why was the name John Dowd picked to replace barry Bonds on MVP Baseball 2003-05, I have too. For a while, I thought that he may have been the prodution designer, or a close friend of someone. You may have thought the same things. But I know the truth of John Dowd, and I'm about to share it with you all.

I'm currently reading "My Prison Without Bars" written by Pete Rose, the all time hits leader. In chapter 7, he tells that baseball hired someone to take down Rose, and to expose him for what he realy is/was, a relentless gambler.

The name of thuis Lawyer is John Dowd. As soon as I read that, I immediately thought of the righty batting/hitting white-boy with a beard who replaced Bonds for several years now.

Well, after doing some research, I have found this link, The Dowd Report, and I'm hoping that I can solve your answers about this mysterious man.

from Wikipedia

Jon Dowd, is an assistant producer working on EA Sports' MVP Baseball video game series. His name was used to create a fictional player designed to emulate Barry Bonds.

EA Sports had worked out a contract with the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) to use all Major League players who are members of the Players Association union. However, some prominent major league players are not part of the union. Reasons for exclusion include either because of being refused admission to the MLBPA, due to playing during the 1994 players' strike or because they have intentionally withdrawn from the union in order to bargain for more money in personal licensing deals. San Francisco Giants slugger and left fielder Barry Bonds belongs in the latter category.

Bonds, a 7-time MVP with first ballot Hall of Fame numbers is not easily ignored, especially since the Giants' offense rests on Bonds' shoulders. EA Sports was left with a strange predicament and needed a player who could fill Bonds' shoes and could be easily interpreted as Barry Bonds, but the replacement could not legally construed to be Barry Bonds, in order to avoid legal action. EA Sports created Jon Dowd, a devastatingly powerful Giants outfielder, in his stead. Although they attributed Dowd with batting abilities similar to Bonds, they changed several key factors: his name, race, age, and batting side. Since Jon Dowd is crafted from the parts used in the Create A Player mode, Dowd has no career batting statistics and is thus always a rookie when starting in Dynasty mode. He all-but-invariably wins the National League Rookie Of The Year award in the first year of Dynasty mode.

For the 2005 edition of MVP Baseball, EA Sports altered Dowd to be more similar to the real-life Bonds, altering his age, as well as his race. His default batting attributes are still the best in the game.

In a similar fashion, Barry Bonds is known as "Wes Mailman" in Acclaim's All-Star Baseball series.

In some cases, a player's absence from MVP Baseball could be overlooked due to marginal importance, such as Boston Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar. Millar was left out of the 2003 and 2004 editions of MVP Baseball (though a fictional avatar was created for the 2005 edition after Millar helped Boston win the World Series).

Players excluded for playing during the strike include Brendan Donnelly, Damian Miller and the now-retired Rick Reed.

I am not sure how you can fit the Rose story into MVP Baseball....but I guess it could be plausible....except for the fact he is named after a member of EASports developing team.Good try though, atleast you are doing dome digging and research.

I thought of the lawyer first when I originally bought the game last year. And I always thought it was until I read this thread.

Of course, I was alive during the Rose investigation and read the report in High School. I can understand how alot of people may have never heard of John Dowd, the lawyer.

I mean, I had never heard of the Jon Dowd, computer programmer.

:)

Archived