Resign.csv: Free Agency

DarkEnigma510

is there also a way to edit the contract demands of a player? some guys come too cheap while others are way too expensive and most players will settle for a 2 year deal even though they're just 26 years old or sometyhing.

try looking in progress.big.

Its either there, or there ius a file in rookie.big for rookies only.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've also played around with it. I decreased the resign value to 40 for 4 star players 26 years or older and 55 for 5 star players within that age. It makes for a diverse free agent market with guys like Soriano, Konerko and Carlos Lee testing the market. I haven't simmed a couple of seasons, so I dunno how often players will change teams so the value might be a bit too low, but it's certainly better than we had before.

In regards to player demands, I'll take a look at the progress.big file, but I won't mess around with it too much since Bill did an excellent job on that file. How do I open .big files though?

but an average rookie's age is 24

they are locked to the team that drafted them for 6 MLB years

that puts them at 30

That's not necessarily true as some sign major league contracts when they are drafted, spending 2-3 years in the minors meaningl only 4-5 years when they reach the majors. So.....27-28 sounds like the right age people start declaring free agency and no more arbitration, right?

That's not necessarily true as some sign major league contracts when they are drafted, spending 2-3 years in the minors meaningl only 4-5 years when they reach the majors. So.....27-28 sounds like the right age people start declaring free agency and no more arbitration, right?

no it is 6 years of MLB service

you have 3-4 years to promote them to the majors, and keep them another six after they are in the majors.

if they are not in the majors within 3-4 years they can be redrafted it is called a rule 5 draft. If a player is drafted using rule 5, the team that gets him MUST keep them on the 25 man roster for atleast 1 year. If the do not the original team gets the player back.

Rule 5 Draft

Once a player is signed by an organization either through the draft or as a free agent, the clock immediately starts ticking on the club's exclusive rights to the player.

After 3 complete minor league seasons (or 4 if the player was younger than 19 on the preceding June 5), a player comes to one of the major crossroads of his career. At this point, a team has to decide if they want to sign the player to a major-league contract (adding him to the 40-man roster which consists of 25 active players and 15 on optional assignment) or if they want to let the other teams have a shot at him.

Players that have the minor league seasons required and are not added to the 40-man roster are eligible for baseball's Rule 5 draft. A player can be drafted by another organization for a sum of $50,000. The catch, however, is that if the player is ever removed from his new team's 25-man roster during the next season, he has to be offered back to the original club for half the price, or $25,000.

A player not on the 40-man roster and not taken in the Rule 5 draft remains under contract with his current organization. If the player has less than 6 years of minor league service, he can elect to be a minor league free agent, thus getting out of Rule 5 consideration for all intents and purposes.

Free Agency and Compensation

A player that has accrued 6 complete years or more of service time at the end of a season and does not have a contract is eligible for filing for free agency, after which the player can sign with any team he wants.

To receive compensation for a player that signs with another team, the team must offer the player salary arbitration.

The team must offer salary arbitration to the player by December 7 or will not be allowed to negotiate with or sign the player until the following May 1. After arbitration is offered, the player has until December 19 to either accept or refuse salary arbitration. If it is refused, the player can only negotiate with the club until January 7th, after which no more negotiation can take place until May 1.

The compensation formula is based off a negotiated formula, heavy on triple crown stats, for the previous 2 seasons. Type A players are those that rank in the top 30% of his position. Type B players are those that rank below top 30% but still in the top 50%. Type C players are those that rank in the top 60% but not the top 50%.

A type players fetch the 1st-round draft pick of teams in the top half of W-L record or a 2nd-round draft pick of teams in the bottom half of W-L record and an additional pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds. B types don't get the sandwich pick and C type players fetch a sandwich between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The higher the player's ranking in the compensation formula, the higher priority the old team gets in acquiring draft picks.

Something that's never mentioned is that there are still limits to the type of free agents that teams may sign.

If there are 14 or less type A and B players available, no team may sign more than 1 type A or B player. If there are 15-38 available A and B players, no team may sign more than 2. From 39-62 this becomes 3. The club quota increases accordingly for higher totals of available free agents. There is no maximum allowed for type C free agents. Lastly, a team can sign up to as many type A and B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the above quota.

Major League free agents come with an automatic no-trade clause until after the next June 15.

Service Time

Service time is accrued for every day spent in the majors. If a player spends 20 days or less of the season on optional assignment, the player is given service time for the entire season. This is to prevent various shenanigans if calling up a player at the end of April to buy an extra year of rights.

Service time allows the player more authority over how his contract can be assigned.

A player with 10 years or more Major League service, the last 5 being with the team he's currently on may not be assigned to another team without his consent.

A player with 5 years or more Major League service cannot be optioned to the minors without his permission. He must be offered his release. In the case of a player signed to a Major League contract as a free agent, and thus almost certainly signed to a guarantee contract, still has to be paid according to the provisions of his contract.

A player with 3 years or more Major League service may not be removed from the 40-man roster without his permission. The player can opt to be released immediately or at the end of the season.

A player may elect to become a free agent whenever he is removed from the 40-man roster starting with the second removal of his career. The player may opt to not become a free agent but to become a free agent after the season.

A player with 5 years or more Major League service that is traded in the middle of a multi-year contract may, during the offseason, require his new team to either trade him or let him become a free agent. If the player is eventually traded, he's not eligible to demand a trade again under the current contract and loses free agency rights for 3 years.

Arbitration

A player may not make less than the league minimum of $200,000.

Players with one or two years of service time and players between two and three years of service time (except for the 17% with the most service time) can have their contracts renewed automatically by the team if they cannot come to an agreement. When renewing a contract, a team cannot reduce a player's pay by more than 20% from the prior year or 30% from the year before that.

Players with 3, 4, or 5 years of service time and the top 17% of the 2 year players may opt for arbitration in order to come to a contract.

The club' proposal may not be less than 80% of the player's salary the previous year. The exception here is that if a player won an arbitration award the prior year that resulted in a 50% or greater salary increase, there is no maximum paycut allowed in the proposal.

Arguments that are not allowed in an arbitration hearing include the state of the team's finances, previous offers made during salary negotiations between the player and the team, any press comments or testimonials with the exception of media-supported awards like the MVP Award or salaries in other sports or occupations.

A player with a non-guaranteed contract or an arbitration award may be released up until the 15th day of spring training with 30 days' pay or from the 16th day of spring training until the opening of the season with 45 days' pay.

When a player is claimed on waivers, the new team takes on the contract. When a player is released in the middle of a guaranteed contract, the new team only has to pay league minimum with the old team footing the rest of the bill.

The 40-Man Roster and Options

Now that the player is on the 40-man roster, another clock starts ticking. He's signed to what amounts to a major-league contract, but the organization has a limited number of seasons in which to keep the player on the team for good. A player can be removed from the 40-man roster at any time, but removing a player from the 40-man roster results in the player having to pass through waivers.

Once a player is added to the 40-man roster, the parent club can send him down to the minors on "optional assignment" in 3 separate seasons. You don't need to actually be on the 25-man roster for an option year to be used; being on the 40-man roster in spring training and optioned to the minors before the season is enough to make the season count as an option year. If a player is never sent down, however, he doesn't use an option year.

Also, despite it being a major league contract, the minimum for players on the 40-man roster and not the 25-man roster is $37,000 plus collective cost of living increases since 1999.

After the three option years are up, a player must pass through waivers to be placed on optional assignment.

When a player is designated for assignment, the player is essentially in limbo. He doesn't count against any of the roster sizes and this is used while you either try to trade the player or get him to accept a minor league assignment.

When a player is placed on waivers, other teams have a shot at claiming him, in order of worst record in the same league to best record in same league to worst record in opposing league to best team in opposing league. For the first month of the season, the W-L record of the previous season is used. When a team places a waiver claim on a player, the new team is subject to the same option rules. For example, if the Red Sox claim Joe Schmoe off waivers because he was out of options when the Devil Rays sent him down, the Red Sox would then have still to pass Schmo through waivers to send him down to their own minor league team.

There are two disabled lists in the majors. The 15-day disabled list forces teams to keep players out for a minimum of 15 days and does not count against the 25-man roster. The 60-day or Emergency disabled list requires a minimum of 60 days on the shelf and doesn't count against either the 25-man or 40-man roster.

On a side note, but totally related, for those that want a work around and not a mod, what I started doing a few months ago is to resign my minor leaguers for more money if they stayed in AAA. That way you don't have AAA guys with MLB contracts even though they are not good enough to play in the Majors. Does that make sense? Like, I have a pitcher who may be great in the minor sbut get drilled in the majors, so I simply resign him to a minor league deal until his pitching ratings go up to where I know he can stay in the MLB.

I've also played around with it. I decreased the resign value to 40 for 4 star players 26 years or older and 55 for 5 star players within that age. It makes for a diverse free agent market with guys like Soriano, Konerko and Carlos Lee testing the market. I haven't simmed a couple of seasons, so I dunno how often players will change teams so the value might be a bit too low, but it's certainly better than we had before.

In regards to player demands, I'll take a look at the progress.big file, but I won't mess around with it too much since Bill did an excellent job on that file. How do I open .big files though?

One thing to keep in mind is that going too low creates too many free agents. For fun I tried 10 and 20 as the values and it basically looked like a fantasy draft every year. I think the balance is somewhere between 50-75.

I found this helpfull

average age of rookies

nytrookies5wd.gif

Given the fact these are average ages, maybe its fair to say that a 5 star player might enter the major earlier than 24. Similar for a 4 star player. Maybe in the free agency model 5 stars should be eligible for free agency at 28 and 4 stars at 29 with all others at 30?

Quick question, is there a way to make not so many players retire? Its way too many and you end up with too many created players in the Free agent pool.....

As far as I know, the players retire because they need to make room on the rosters for the new draftees. Because of the limitations in roster sizes, I think this will always occur.

As far as I know, the players retire because they need to make room on the rosters for the new draftees. Because of the limitations in roster sizes, I think this will always occur.

but if you noticed, about 10 games into the major league season, there are barley any free agents left, and if there are, they are almost all pitchers, and created players.....

One thing to keep in mind is that going too low creates too many free agents. For fun I tried 10 and 20 as the values and it basically looked like a fantasy draft every year. I think the balance is somewhere between 50-75.

I agree, I'm gonna try 60-65 for 4 star players and 65-75 for 5 star players. I'll also try to change the values for younger players even though they might not be eligible for free agency in real life, but that totally takes away the chance to rejuvinate your team since trading for young guys can be a bit hard in dynasty mode. So, I'll do this for players 25+ and for a couple of mid-level players under 25 ( the 2/3 star players ) - they'll get a resign value somewhere between 75-90.

35+ players I think should be resigned to their former team more often since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to test the market at that age.

another question: is there anyway to edit the trading system in dynasty mode? meaning that you have to match or take on salary in order for a trade to be accepted. I know that it's possible in owner mode, but trading is a bit too easy in that mode, so it would great to find a balance between the two.

btw ... lots of credit to you Enigma for noticing this file ( sounds like I'm gonna release a mod, which isn't something I thought about actually :roll: )

EDIT: I'm looking at the progress.big file, mainly the contract demands, but the values are a bit different than actual amounts of money. Does anyone know how these translate into the game?

I agree, I'm gonna try 60-65 for 4 star players and 65-75 for 5 star players. I'll also try to change the values for younger players even though they might not be eligible for free agency in real life, but that totally takes away the chance to rejuvinate your team since trading for young guys can be a bit hard in dynasty mode. So, I'll do this for players 25+ and for a couple of mid-level players under 25 ( the 2/3 star players ) - they'll get a resign value somewhere between 75-90.

35+ players I think should be resigned to their former team more often since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to test the market at that age.

I agree. I left all 1-3 star players 18-25 at the original values since this only mimics what goes on in real baseball where mediocre to scrub level players might be let go, DFAd, or claimed on waivers by someone else. I would imagine 4 to 5 star prospects would be highly protected.

For older ages, I bumped up the signing rate to about 75-85. I figure the signing rate should be lowest during their peak free agency years since they have the most incentive to test the market during those years.

This is looking really good. I hadn't thought of half of the variables that were mentioned on here. One comment that I do have is for the players 35 and older the resign % should correlate with their star number (4 & 5 star, higher resign rate, 3 & below, lower), this being because many of these players teams are probably not going to throw much money at guys this age who are not still peak players. This way these guys with "diminished" skills can still be picked up by teams needing to plug holes with these guys. That way, instead of a team resigning a guy only to have him be demoted to the bench, he can sign with another team and have the chance to start. It would be fun to pick up some wily old vets to sure up a team, a fifth starter, a replacement for that star player you lost to free-agency...just a thought. Keep it up guys.

This is looking really good. I hadn't thought of half of the variables that were mentioned on here. One comment that I do have is for the players 35 and older the resign % should correlate with their star number (4 & 5 star, higher resign rate, 3 & below, lower), this being because many of these players teams are probably not going to throw much money at guys this age who are not still peak players. This way these guys with "diminished" skills can still be picked up by teams needing to plug holes with these guys. That way, instead of a team resigning a guy only to have him be demoted to the bench, he can sign with another team and have the chance to start. It would be fun to pick up some wily old vets to sure up a team, a fifth starter, a replacement for that star player you lost to free-agency...just a thought. Keep it up guys.

Thanks. 1-3 star players, even the old ones, are pretty easily available since the resign rates are about 50% for 1 stars and 75% for 3 stars. The problem was that 4 and 5 stars were over 90% which made them never available.

I have a question for everyone reading this thread:

What would be more desirable from your perspective: a free agency mod that is more realistic and limiting free agency before 29 or 30, or one that starts off around 26 years of age or so (still limiting younger players), less realistic but maybe more fun since the purpose of this mod is to increase free agency? (or maybe release two versions and let people choose?)

I'm for the 2 mod release. Personally, I want as realistic gameplay as I can get. But, I also know that not everyone wants that. Some are into building all-star teams thru free agency. Two mods would give everybody the option.

I think even more important than fixing free agency, is fixing the progression. The fixes that have been done have been okay I guess, but the fact that velocities spike as much as they do ruins dynasty mode for me

personally I like the 26 year old one better. I'm all for realism, but with the crappy progression system the game uses ( even though Bill fixed it up for the most part ) players of 28+ will get worse almost the whole time. That means that you'll be stuck with a guy for 3 years that will only get worse. There should definately be a lock on 25- star players, but a couple of 3 star, maybe 4 star players at the age of 25/26 and then adjusted resign values for 5 star 26+ players should be good.

I tested it with 4 star players at a 60 rating and 5 star players at a 75 rating at 26+. Really fun offseasons ( I simmed with the yanks, just to make it easy - I could sign everyone I wanted ;) ), but those ratings might have to be adjusted a bit. The free agent market varied though with one extremely potent year ( Zito, Willis, Beckett, David Wright, ect ) and some less potent years. I still feel there were maybe a bit too many good young players available, so anything in the 78 - 88 range should do the trick.

on another note ( which really relates to the offseason ), I'll be messing around with the contract demands file in progress.big this weekend. I'll try and find out how the figures in the file translate to money in the game and see if I can adjust it a bit. The length of the contract is easily edited though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

if we can get these 2 things correct then it could be a pretty good mod as it will add more fun and realism to the offseason in Dynasty mode.

EDIT: the progression is a pain in the *** to mod. BillHarris did as good of a job as someone could do with that file, and even he said that it's almost impossible to get it right. I agree that it takes something away from the game, but I guess we'll have to live with that. The only thing you can do is edit those players back the way you feel is realistic. Apart from pitch speed being heavily affected, fielding and range rarely get upped after a season, so yeah ... the progression is far from perfect.

I vote for a mod that is as realistic as possible however, because of the lack of trading in the game a mod that made players 26 & above a bit more available might be more realistic than not. Nevermind the way in which the players change teams, they WILL change teams & that's the goal.

Archived