Forbes Field version 2 - w.i.p.

paulw

I've started working on updating my original Forbes Field doing all the OEdit stuff I wanted to do before but didn't know how to. The 2 main things are adding the screen in front of the right field stands and the Carnegie building behind the left field wall. Going to do some additional work on some of the buildings and on the background - probably also some slight work with the grass texture. Forbes was a beautiful old park. SeanO - if you read this I have the screen in right at 19 feet on top of the 9 foot wall for a total of 28 ft. Does this check out with your references also? Anyhow here's a pick:

forb1.jpg

Looks great Paul. Here's what ballparks.com says:

screen - left side at 375 Mark: 24 (14.5 wire above 9.5 concrete, 1932);

screen - right side at pole: 27.67 (18.17 wire above 9.5 concrete, 1932).

So, it looks like it wasn't perfectly straight, but you're pretty much correct. What year are you going for; with left field bullpens or without?

Shame it would be so difficult to put the batting cage in-play in center field, since that would certainly be a unique edge. I'll take a look at the 1960 Yankees / Pirates videos again and see if I find anything.

Hi Sean-

I'm actually looking at 1960. Been thinking a lot about the batting cage. I'm probably going to try it. I've got the pieces to build it. It's just the collision stuff that's the problem.

I think we need to create a 1943 version, with the 32' tall wooden US Marine, in play, by the scoreboard. That is certainly the weirdest thing in a ballpark I've found so far. Really puts Tal's Hill into context.

Any pictures Sean? I couldn't find any on google.

Forbes might be the worst photographed park that I've come across. I mean, I think I've found as many photos of Huntington Ave. Grounds as I have Forbes.

I think we might need to fudge it with the cages and the marine. Clem's forbes map has the location and approx. size of the batting cage, so at least that's a start. The collision mapping? oye, that could be difficult.

Forbes might be the worst photographed park that I've come across.

I've yet to find a picture of the right field stands with the screen - a couple of nice paintings but no real pics.

Hey, any info you guys can give me would be great and thanx for the interest.

Forbes seems to be coming along fairly nicely. Tested the collision data last night for right field and it worked perfectly (Hit the screen about 5 times for doubles and hit balls over and to the right and left). Hope this continues. The pic below shows some of the added stuff like the Carnegie Building in left field, the in field batting cage, smokestaks, flag pole and right field screen. SeanO - Only you'd this - in one of the paintings I've looked at there's a single monument in dead center. Do you know anything about it?

forb2.jpg

"Barney Dreyfuss Monument was just to the left of the exit gate in right-center where fans exited the ballpark into Schenley Park after games. It was installed on June 30, 1934, on the park’s 25th anniversary and was made of granite with a bronze tablet."

"From a close examination of numerous photographs, in print and online, I have concluded that the universally accepted original left field dimension at Forbes Field (360 feet) is wrong. In at least three photographs from the early years, one can see that the left field foul pole is at the front edge of the bleacher section, at least 20 feet from the end. I estimate that the actual left field distance in 1909 was about 325 feet. Another question is the precise location of the monument to Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss. Most sources, including Lowry (1992) say it was in right center field, but I saw a photo showing it in center field, and this is corroborated by someone who saw it first hand."

No idea what it looks like, but there you are.

It's one of the camera views in the datafile I use - when you start the game it zooms in from this point. Now, if only I could tell you which one it is. I think it's KSM 3. I love the cameras in this mod. I can send you the datafile if you'd like.

Hi Tony!! :D:D I'm absolutely loving Total Classics - I'm glad if I in any way can help you guys out with some of my stadiums.

The *real* Forbes was an absolutely beautiful ball park. I was actually there in 1968 but too young to remember much. I've returned to Pittsburgh a number of times and still visit the old location - it's right in the heart of the university area. The neighborhood itself is sooo cool - Pittsburgh's 5th Ave. with museums, cathedrals, Schenley Park, and wonderful old buildings like the Carnegie and of course Pitt itself. If only Forbes were still there. The new parks are very nice but there's something missing in all of them. I think it's that feeling of being "in" history itself. Thank God we still have Fenway and Wrigley.

Your old Forbes Field was my favorite place to play a random exhibition game, despite the fact that I have nothing to do with Pittsburgh or the field. It was just beautiful. I'm going to get the new version right away!

--Eric

I fell in love with Carnegie Mellon when I lived there for 6 weeks taking summer courses, and was heartbroken when I didn't get to go there. That whole area of Pittsburgh is one of my favorite places on earth, and I was thrilled to visit there this past October and take in a game at PNC.

I never liked the Cathedral of Learning butting into the Carnegie campus, but everything else about that area is wonderful. Taking the bus out to Kennywood back when Steel Phantom was still around, the ballpark just a short drive away, Primanti's, the Original Hot Dog Shop... I love Pittsburgh.

SeanO - The Cathedral of Learning is something else. Last time I was in there it reminded me of something you'd see in one the new Batman movies. So *very* Gothic (and old).

Carnegie Mellon - very, very cool!

Pittsburgh definetly rocks. Top of Mt. Washington on a Friday night - one of my favorite places.

Archived