Park Design Competition

Sean O

No, as I mentioned in my last post, anyone can choose any team they want, as long as the current park predates US Cellular Field (1991).

As far as officially entering, I think we should allow anyone to submit a design by the official date, and we'll talk later if we will allow multiple submissions.

How is 11:59PM on March 14? That should give everyone more than enough time to work on it without feeling stressed, and it should give a good amount of buildup time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 14 sounds really good. Where do we post the designs? Or are we going to send it to one person who is not in the competition who will then post it to the judges?

If the folks in charge are interested in this, and I hope they are because I think it could be great for the site, it would be nice to have a subforum where we could all post our work, so we can get comments. Then we can choose whether or not we want to post updates as we work, or whether people want to keep it secret until the date.

It depends on what the entrants think, I could go either way. But I think for the judging, it would be nice to have a small panel, maybe the mods, decide what they like the best, and then also have the members of the site vote for which they think the best. So the judges get 1/2 of the vote, and the members get half.

Make sense? Just trying to make this as fair as possible for everyone involved.

I think the members should get the vote. Just say there were 10 stadium designs. We all sent them to Trues or Y4L. They then keep a secret . They post each stadium as 1 and 2. There will be five threads with stadiums one and two. Then the stadiums start to get weeded out.

I say, for now, we do it this way. If you want your design out in the open while you "build" it, however that might be, then you are more than welcome to. If you would rather keep it secret up until the unveiling, that is perfectly allowed, and you can just submit it right before the voting.

I assume I will be posting my entry as it is built, since I happen to be an attention *****. Feel free to do whatever you'd like, but I'd personally love to see them come ito life.

Looks really nice Astro, btw.

Actually, NYM does have a really good point, I never considered people taking each others ideas, whether accidentally or subconciously.

Ok, then I guess we should keep our work a secret, but you're free to post to this thread about whether you're entering and what park you're doing. You can also post some basic stats if you'd like, such as seating. I suppose there's no harm in posting an image of the site you'll be using, as long as you don't specify exactly where it is located.

Awesome, let's do it!

Hey guys, no offense, I don't care what people say, but my backdrop in right field is gona kick all of your asses, even if my stadium doesn't. Just a little trash talk :-). But seriously it will kick ***.

Here's a tip for some of you with a struggle. Go to ballparks of the past for some ideas. I've gotten several great ideas that I can put into my park.

Last night i tested a exported mstadium.o file in 3dsmax7 in vrm

format and i was surprised how fast i was able to move vertices around and all parts . This really would help all stadium modders and

make it more enjoyable. you can get a download 30 day demo.

Yeah I did that when I was trying to understand things a while back, but how can you get it back into o-edit? I was using an older version of 3dsmax, that might have been the problem.

If your drawing isn't that great, I would just load up paint shop pro or photoshop and do it that way. The nice thing about this competition is that you can enter any form you'd like, so find what suits you best.

I'll get in on this, depending on the deadline. I want to finish Oakland first, and then I'll get a fantasy ballpark up. I already have one I designed in Photoshop a few years back, and I just need to do it in oedit. Sounds like fun. :)

You don't need to do it in oedit, since you can just keep it in Photoshop if you would like. I'm certainly not doing mine in oedit, since I drastically prefer other forms.

I'm really excited about this, hope we get some good entries.

I have a few question that maybe you guys can answere for me. I been following this since yesterday with the plans of having no part in it and the only reason for that is because I know very little about Oedit but I have been trying with no luck. So after following this, I decided too try and make out sort of a blueprint kinda layout in photoshop.

So here goes....

1. If I wanna be apart of this, am I gonna have too build this park in Oedit? If so I guess im wont be in it after all. But if I'm able too enter a rendering of Fantasy ballpark on paper, will that be OK?

2. I also read that you can not do any parks that are fairly new, witch is a very solid point in this competition. So with that said, and if I'm able too be in this. I was shooting for a ballpark for the Devil Rays. I know that they have'nt been in the league long but the fact that a baseball team that plays in Florida, plays inside a dome kinda baffles me. So if the Devil Rays are one of the teams that you are able to do then I would like to take dibs on them.

So SeanO, if you can kindly let me know if I am able to be in it.

Thanks

Great, I'll be happy to answer these.

1). I'm going to put this in bold so everyone reads it: oedit, and mvp, has nothing to do with this competition. There is a chance the winner could get his or her park built in MVP as a prize, but that would be done by others. The only requirement for the medium is that you can flesh out your idea enough to get the point across, so no stained napkins or matchbook drawings.

2). The Trop was built in 1990, or the year prior to US Cellular. However, mutliple people can do the same team, so that's not a problem.

Glad you're involved, best of luck!

Yea whats up with the Devil Rays and a dome? Anyway good luck everyone, and remember my backround kicks your asses :-)!

If my stadium does get built though, I can help with it because I learned how to edit images. Even if my stadium doesnt get picked, I'd be more than happy to help out with images.

Great, I'll be happy to answer these.

1). I'm going to put this in bold so everyone reads it: oedit, and mvp, has nothing to do with this competition. There is a chance the winner could get his or her park built in MVP as a prize, but that would be done by others. The only requirement for the medium is that you can flesh out your idea enough to get the point across, so no stained napkins or matchbook drawings.

2). The Trop was built in 1990, or the year prior to US Cellular. However, mutliple people can do the same team, so that's not a problem.

Glad you're involved, best of luck!

Thanks for the info SeanO. I didnt mean I'm putting on real paper/ stained napkin. LOL. I mean like a photoshop rendering. But thanks again, and I'm lookin forward too what people come up with in this.

Heh, I know, I'm just trying to set the lowest requirements possible to get as many people entering as possible. I'd love to see how someone who lives and breathes ballpark design approaches something as opposed to someone with far less interest, who just loves the game.

Retro, nouveau, post-modern, modern, whatever. I'm excited.

Archived