Park Design Competition

Sean O

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got two questions.

1-My designs are more like blueprints than anything. I have some sections drawn out, and then I have what they look like from a side view and an aerial view. I then have wall heights and stuff next to it. Is this ok, or would you like me to submit this, and then a clean version? Clean meaning no wall heights, side views, or aerial views.

2- My walls don't have ads yet. They won't have ads in the final design either. Would this be ok to enter? I just have the word add where I would like an add to go. So just say my park did win, I could just add on the ads later right?

Thanks in advance.

I have blueprints as well but none with wall hights. I have'nt got too that yet. But just too let ya know that I'm not stealing and ideas, I'll post the side view of one of the blueprints or should I say blackprints. Admins I'm sorry for posting suck a big image. If its a problem you can take it down.

frontal.jpg

Both of my teams have new stadiums. What to do. Maybe the phillies since Murphy left the braves for them, but they are a division rival. I'll have to think about this.

five-

Phils are off limits because of CBP, sorry.

NYM-

The park I'm building is Forbes- or Wrigley-esque, no ads. You don't need to have them completely spelled out.

Thome-

Looking good, the blueprint thing will probably be the most popular way.

Here's how I would approach it, if I was doing a 2d model.

1). Make a Ground Plan. This is a top-down, or bird's eye, view of your build site. This should have enough detail to show all seating, dimensions, and other misc. stuff in your complex.

2). Make a cross-section or a side elevation. A cross section would be the view if you cut through your complex with a giant knife. A side elevation is just what you would see if you looked at the side of the complex. This step is to get a good idea of height.

3). If you would like, you can also create artwork, in photoshop or pen and paper, for scoreboards, or ads, or anything else you feel important.

4). A brief description of your project, the dimensions, your idea / inspiration for the park, and how you feel it solves any particular problems. This doesn't have to be long or involved, but I think it would help to see how you got from point a to point b.

Obviously, people can do it however they feel fit, but this would definitely cover the basics of getting your point across.

I think we need a list of eligible teams/rumored MLB markets that are fair game:

EXISTING MLB MARKETS

Boston Red Sox -- Fenway Park (1912)

Chicago Cubs -- Wrigley Field (1914)

Florida Marlins -- Dolphins Stadium (1987)

Kansas City Royals -- Kaufman Stadium (1973)

Los Angeles Dodgers -- Dodger Stadium (1962)

Minnesota Twins -- Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (1982)

New York Mets -- Shea Stadium (1964)

New York Yankees -- Yankee Stadium (1923, renovated 1976)

Oakland Athletics -- McAfee Coliseum (1968, renovated 1996)

Tampa Bay Devil Rays -- Tropicana Field (1990)

Toronto Blue Jays -- Rogers Centre (1989)

Washington Nationals -- RFK Stadium (1962)

POSSIBLE MLB MARKETS

Charlotte, NC

Las Vegas, NV

Meadowlands, NJ

Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA

Oklahoma City, OK

Portland, OR

San Jose, CA

I think we need a list of eligible teams/rumored MLB markets that are fair game:

POSSIBLE MLB MARKETS

Charlotte, NC

Las Vegas, NV

Meadowlands, NJ

Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA

Oklahoma City, OK

Portland, OR

San Jose, CA

That list of possible parks is fine, though I'd take out the Meadowlands, but the only other requirement is a park built prior to 1991.

Also, just to make this clear, it does not necessarily have to be an MLB park. If you want to build a minor league park, and you think you can do a great job with it, go for it. I just want to see new, interesting designs.

I think I found a good building site with Google Earth but is there a way I could get a photo of the area with some other program so I could use it as a backdrop for my stadium rendering? What are other people using?

It depends on the site. It may be best just to do a google image search for the city the park will be in. For what I'm doing, because I'm rendering it in 3d, I'm deciding between just importing an image of it for the background, or actually constructing the buildings out there.

Google image search will probably help.

I'm having an interesting time designing a particular section of my park, and it's quite the challenge. I'm starting to rethink whether we should encourage people to post their designs, because part of me wants to see how people are coming along.

Hopefully I can get some more work done this evening, and I'll think about posting a few screenshots of the progress. Most of my seating is done, I'm just wondering where to put the luxury boxes, and what to do beyond the outfield walls. And then there's The Thing which is occupying a surprising amount of my brain power.

Stay tuned, if nothing else i'd love to hear people post status reports, even if they don't give too many details.

Sean O, what program are you using for your ballpark?

BTW: I think if people want to show their ballpark, show it.

Also, if you want you can PM over what you got. I already showed you a little of mine. It would be cool to see what your doing to, seeing where doing the same team.

Archived