Taste the Rainbow - 80s Astros Uniforms

AstroEric

I think I'm ADD/ADHD when it comes to mod projects. I have all of these started mods that I never get around to finishing because I lose interest and move on. I'm going to, over the next few weeks, try to rectify that.

Here are some 2x 1986 Astros jerseys that I've been working on:

mvp200520060316000428304ow.th.jpg

Denny Walling making a diving grab on a ball bouncing crazy on the Astroturf.

mvp200520060316000636170nx.th.jpg

Bill Doran cracking a double off of the LF scoreboard.

mvp200520060316001103275vj.th.jpg

Glenn Davis up to bat....

mvp200520060316001304976ph.th.jpg

...And making the leaping grab at first.

mvp200520060316002043225ia.th.jpg

Don't just stand there, Kevin Bass! Do something!

mvp200520060316002245505sb.th.jpg

Walling breaking the wood.

mvp200520060316002654924ma.th.jpg

Mgr. Hal Lanier telling Mike Scott that the Mets have brought the video camera again.

mvp200520060316002841005do.th.jpg

Don't worry. Ray Knight left the lens cap on.

I still have to work on getting the shoulder stripes to match up, and there are some weird angles on the sleeves of the rainbow chest one.

--Eric

Thanks guys.

Soriano - You mean where the letters get shifted where the shirt opens? I'll try to do that tonight, but it always looks funny when I try it. Maybe it needs a little shading there? I'll ask KC what he does.

--Eric

Like KC does? Is that because no-one else uses the technique?

Yes, you put some extra shading and shift the right side of the shirt logos down a little bit, just look at some real life pics

nice work, but I'd make the cap logo a little bit bigger

Jim --

Thanks for the compliments / criticisms. I'm still working on the cap logos, and learning how to proportion / size / position them properly so that they look okay in the game.

I'm working third shifts tonight and Friday and I'll be out of town this weekend, welcoming back a friend who's been in Korea for the past two years...but come Monday, I'll have an update and hopefully a download to post of these jerseys.

--Eric

Jim --

That's what I did for these, using the default 1x wacky uni's as sort of a guide. I just need to make them proportionately bigger, I guess. Here's another question -- Any advice for getting the stripes to match up? This is difficult to describe because I'm at work currently with no access to the files, but sometimes they seem to line up, others they're really off. Sometimes, part of the blue stripe is cut off on one of the shoulders.

As in this picture: mvp200520060316002654924ma.th.jpg

...Although it's present in the JERS, JERF and JERT files in roughly the same position as the stripe on the other side.

--Eric

Thome --

Thank you bunches.

Jim, et al --

I think the stripes on the sleeves just need to be resized a bit. I've been doing some in game studies, and I think that's why they're askew when connected to the shoulders. But I still have no idea why that blue part of the shoulder isn't showing up. Any help would be appreciated.

--Eric

Gladly:

mvp200520060318132347072sd.th.jpg

mvp200520060318132431871qu.th.jpg

The blue stripe in the rainbow to the rear of the right shoulder goes AWOL, despite being present on the JERS, etc., files:

00116kk.th.png

Thanks for the assistance.

EDIT: Just noticed the stripe on the left of the JERS file isn't lined up with the stripe on the other side. Does the game use the whole texture, or is there a cut-off point at the shoulders? Maybe that side's above the cut-off line. Agh...I'm leaving town. I'll see to this on Sunday. In the meantime, any hints you could provide....

--Eric

KC -- I was looking at this two nights ago when looking at my old Astros team sets...they didn't have buttons in the 80s, but did in the 90s. So I'm torn. I was shooting for these to be the '86 jerseys, so I should probably drop the jersey buttons.

Archived