Vin Scully

HardcoreLegend

I like when around the 7th inning, I accidently overthrow a slider in the dirt and the CPU lays off of it and they throw out the "The pitcher and catcher have a plan in mind, Kipe, but the batters are laying off these pitches"

Yeah, I'd lay off the first slider I saw bounce a 54 feet too.....Meat.

"MAKE 'EM EARN IT, MEAT...KILLIN' ME!!!"

What about on some two run shots...(paraphrased) "He did well to drive in the only run, and he drove himself in as well." Um, only run? IT WAS A 2 RUN SHOT...KILLIN ME!! :pistols:

• 2 months later...

As of now I've got:

Full Names

Cardinals

Jim Edmonds

Scott Rolen

Scott Speizio

Adam Kennedy

Juan Encarnacion

Eli Marrero

Chris Carpenter

Mark Mulder

Anthony Reyes

Adam Wainwright

Russ Springer

Izzy

Braden Looper (calls him Brandon in the game)

Created Audio (from TV broadcast):

Chris Duncan

Albert Pujols

Batting

Batting First

Batting Second

Batting Third

Batting Cleanup

Hitting Next

Now Batting

At The Plate

Pitching

Starting Pitcher for the Cardinals

Now Pitching

Pitching in Relief

Now on the Mound

On in Relief

Stadium

Welcome to Busch Stadium

Misc

Vin Scully intro/w Dave Campbell

Chris Carpenter Scouting Report

With the created audio, I'm having trouble adding 'depth' to the sound to match it to the in-game stuff. It would work, but I'm not entirely pleased with it.

I know there is a lot of work to be done, but I figured I start one by one. Getting the count, etc will be pretty easy. I'm having to do audio captures from the PS2 straight into my PC, so it will be a long process.

If anyone could come up with a list of the pbp dialogue, I could try to get as much of that as possible first, then work on players names. An actual list of what I need to match with what.

• 1 month later...

Alright, time to get serious. I'm looking for people to get in on this project. I'm all for capturing all the audio files needed.

I'm looking for people with:

+knowledge of how to import audio files into the game

+the ability to import the captured waves I record into the game

+how to structure players names

I've captured a lot of audio, in game stuff, names, etc.

If people are serious about wanting this done, I'm going to need help. Otherwise, I'll stop getting the audio because it would be a waste of my time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please don't think that Kruk and Kuip sound anything in real life like they do in this game. For some reason Krukow thought he should get all wound up with the color commentary, and the game inserts his comments much more than it should. Kuiper never does his real home run call. If I had to listen to the kind of commentary they do in this game on real Giants' telecasts, I would turn the sound down and listen to Jon Miller and Dave Fleming on the radio.

While playing the game, I just turn the broadcast sound off. You could work your you know what off trying to change to Vin Scully, et al, but he is still going to be limited to about 20 - 25 phrases, all of which would get very old after a little while.

• 1 month later...

Please don't think that Kruk and Kuip sound anything in real life like they do in this game. For some reason Krukow thought he should get all wound up with the color commentary, and the game inserts his comments much more than it should. Kuiper never does his real home run call. If I had to listen to the kind of commentary they do in this game on real Giants' telecasts, I would turn the sound down and listen to Jon Miller and Dave Fleming on the radio.

While playing the game, I just turn the broadcast sound off. You could work your you know what off trying to change to Vin Scully, et al, but he is still going to be limited to about 20 - 25 phrases, all of which would get very old after a little while.

Good point

• 1 year later...

Has anyone thought to try to call Vin and just ask him straight out if he would be interested??? He's very approachable. I don't know how busy or energetic he is outside of his Dodgers duties, but why not just ask. Oh, and Vin generally works solo these days from what I hear. Joe Simpson and Chip Caray would be good choices along with Don Sutton. I know these three personally and could at least throw it past them and see what they think. I used to run the OOT scoreboard at Turner Field before a heart transplant retired me.

I know I'm acting like a n00b with this one, but I really didn't realize Scully did the MLB 2005 commentary. I thought he had quit doing that stuff a long time ago.

Anyways, what is the change over rate from that point on as far as player names?

Scully is really the ideal announcer to use if we were ever to change the commentary audio because a) he recorded studio audio for video games in which the audio should be accessible and B) he is still doing play by play and the unavailible audio can be gotten from a broadcast.

I don't know what format MLB 2005 was availible in and I don't know if the audio files can simply be opened on a PC or if you have to record in game audio to do it. If it's the latter, forget it. However, if it's the first, I have the MLB Extra Innings package with most of the MLB games from this year being broadcast. I'd be more than willing to capture audio to fill in the gaps of what the MLB 2005 game doesn't provide.

Any ideas?

I would be uncomfortable with you doing that because anything you would get would be copyrighted. You would need expressed written permission from the Dodgers and major league baseball to use it. If you could convince the proper authorities that it was for a free to anyone enterprise and would never be put up for sale, that no money would ever change hands, you just might get that permission. I have some contacts that I can call to get the ball rolling if you like. But I would need something in official looking writing explaining what we are trying to do. This is very doable.

Archived