Best and Worst announcers ?

Just out of curiousity, who are the best and the worst announcers you have ever heard? And it has to be someone you've heard call a game on the radio or TV. That means I can't pick Red Barber who did the Dodger games. He was one of the best of all time, but I never heard him do a game except hearing him on old film clips from the World Series.

The best I've heard (in no particular order)

Frank Messer

Bob Costas

Curt Gowdy

Phil Rizzuto

Ernie Harwell

Vin Scully

Jim Kaat

Bob Prince

Jack Buck

John Sterling

The worst I've heard (in no particular order)

Harry Carey

Mike Krukow (thanks to Mvp 05 and his "big boy" crap)

Joe Buck

Tim McCarver

Rex Hudler

Michael Kay

Suzyn Waldman

Joe Morgan

I am sure there is more, and when I remember, I'll add them.

How about yours?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

best:

Joe Buck

Tim McCarver

Mike Kay

John Sterling (the best in my view)

worst:

(cant remember his name) the dude that does Phillies games.

Jim Kaat

Bobby Mercer

haray kalas is the phillies announcer. he's also the voice of nfl films.

btw, here's my list.

best

vin scully

matt vasgeran

skip caray

pete van wiern

len kasper

dwayne statts

worst

joe buck

tim mccarver

thom breannan

steve lyons

joe morgan

rich waltz

tommy hutton

Best:

Bob Costas

Joe Buck

Bob Uecker-maybe not the best, but my favorite

Vin Scully

My Braves announcers

Worst:

Tim McCarver

Joe Morgan

Jon Miller

Duane Kuiper

Mike Krukow

I hate:

Chris Berman

Joe Morgan

Jeff Brantley

Jon Kruk

I like:

Orel Hershiser

Gary Thorne

Dan Schulman

Erik Karros

as you can see I mostly get to see espn broadcasts, and sometimes a local fsn network (and some of those guys are pretty good).

Orel Hershiser is my favorite though

Harry Kalas of the Phillies is among the greatest announcers ever, he is in the hall of fame as well.

Best:

Kalas

Scully

Gowdy

Buck (Jack and Joe)

Costas

Miller (Jon)

Worst:

Carey (Skip and Harry)

Rizzuto

Braves announcers

Blyleven

I really dont care about announcers, because they dont bother me, but I really hate Micheal Kay and his scouting reports.

Im gona be biased here and say I like Keith Hernandez, Ron Draling, and Gary Cohen.

Best:

Mel Allen

Phil Rizzuto

Vin Scully

Bob Costas

Jon Miller

Joe Morgan

Gary Thorne

John Sterling

Ken Singleton

Worst:

Michael Kay

Suzyn Waldman

Tim McCarver

Joe Buck

EDIT: Duane Kuiper & Mike Krukow

As you can tell by my list I've grown up watching the Tigers, Cubbies, and White Sox. I always loved Harry Carey because he sounded like he was totally wasted all the time!

Best:

Ernie Harwell

George Kell

Al Kaline

Ken Harrelson

Tom Paciorek

Harry Carey

Steve Stone

Worst:

Josh Lewin

Tim McCarver

Joe Buck

Well, pretty mcuh everyone on Fox

hey, i like joe morgan. knowledgeable guy about baseball.

i just don't like it when he doesn't look at jon miller when miller is talking to him. that's rude

Joe Morgan lives in a world of his own though, he may know alot about the game itself, but he totally disregards advanced stats (he's anti-moneyball without having read the book). I'm not saber fanatic myself, but as a baseball fan it's atleast interesting to see what it does to the game.

I love that the Yankees hate Michael Kay and Suzyn Waldman lol. I can't blame you though.

Favorite Announcers:

John Sterling

Jim Kaat

Chris Berman

Least Favorite Announcers:

Michael Kay

Suzyn Waldman

Jon Miller

Joe Buck

I once met Michael Kay, and after I shook his hand, he gave me an autograph without me even asking. This guy has a big ego for being an announcer, as well as the fact most people hate him.

Suzyn Waldman is once ugly creature, good thing her face isn't on TV anymore. But when I listen to the radio, she makes my eardrums bleed.

Jon Miller is one of the worst announcers ESPN has to offer. He makes anything the Yankees do anti-climactic to the fullest extent.

The same thing goes for Joe Buck. If you don't believe me, watch the clip from the 2003 ALCS when Aaron Boone hit the walkoff home run in Game 7. I don't think he could have been more monotonous. It was like Ferris Bueller, when Ben Stein was calling out attendance: "Bueller..............Bueller..............Bueller..............Bueller.............."

Apologies to all the other Yankee fans out there who put Sterling in the "good" section....But I think he is one of the worst announcers I have ever heard. I am a lifelong Yankee fan, and I am embarrased that he is "ours" when I listen to him :/ Too much bravado and home team rooting...not enough straight game calling for my taste. For some reason, he always comes off as arrogant to me.

Other "worst"

Anyone on ESPN, Especially Joe Morgan and whoever his comrade in arms is. (Miller?)

Best: Jim Kaat

Tony Kubek

Phil Rizzuto (the way home team rooting should be done) :)

Bob Costas

Ralph Kiner (never liked the Mets....but something endearing about the man, when he still had all his marbles)

Joe Garagiola (spelling may be off)

Bob Uecker

Vin Scully

my favorites:

Ernie Harwell

Paul Carey

Harry Carey

Al Kaline

George Kell

not so favorites:

Hawk Harrelson

Tom Paciorek

Mike Krukow

Duane Kuiper

Jim Price

anyone after Ernie Harwell on Tiger radio

Can't really think of anyone else. As you all can tell I have watched mostly Tiger games my whole life.

My favorites :

Jim Hunter of the Orioles

Jon Miller

John Sterling

Michael Kay

Gary Cohen

Skip Carey

Vin Scully

Marty Brennaman of Reds Radio

My least favorites :

Joe Castiglione

I see no problem with Jon Miller , I rarely listen to his ESPN broadcasts and more to his KNBR Giants broadcasts , where he brings a sense of humor to the broadcast booth.

I dislike Joe Castiglione but the more you listen to WEEI the more accustomed you become to that shrill voice.

Gary Cohen needs to return to the Mets radio network...damn SNY for taking him away to do TV broadcasts! Mets radio just isn't the same without Cohen's great play-by-play style. :(

My personal favorites are the NESN Red Sox game-callers: Jerry Remy and Don Orscillo. Bob Uecker is right up there, too. I remember hearing a story about him that the Milwaukee Brewers were losing in a blow-out, and Bob started reading his mail on air. Also, his play-by-play in Major Leauge is one of the funniest of all time, in my humble opinion.

Worst:

Michael Kay

All Braves announcers

All KC Royals announcers (not their fault)

Lou Piniella

Al Leiter

David Justice

Charlie Steiner

Best:

Gary Thorn

Gary Cohen

Howie Rose

Harry Callis

John Sterling

i agree on the last three you said about worse, jogar. especially steiner. he complained the other announcers were all about winning.

My favs:

Vin Scully

Mel Allen

Curt Gowdy

Jon Miller

Joe Morgan

Joe Garagiola

Harry Carey

Bob Costas

Bob Euker

Al Michaels

Worst:

White Sox Announcers *Hawk & Wimpy*

David Justice (color man for maybe one year)

Steve Stone

Tony Gwynn

Tim McCarver (know it all)

Skip Carey

Joe Buck

The White Sox guys are ridiculously bad, and unless you're a diehard Sox fan, you get absolutely nothing from listening to them. They are beyond biased and aren't afraid to show it.

I also don't like the YES network guys. If they could talk about anything but Yankee history and how great their team is, they might be bearable.

John Cerutti was the best Blue Jays television announcer until he died, and since then no one they've replaced him with has been any good. Jaimie Cambell isn't bad, but Pat Tabler says some of the dumbest or most obvious things about the game, and Rance Muliniks is boring and doesn't know anything about the current team. And he kept calling the Angels 'the California Angels.' Calling them Anaheim I can understand, but its been years.

Tom Cheek and Jerry Howarth are the best radio guys I've evr heard, and I often watched the game on televison muted with them on the radio. It didn't always sync up right but it was much better than the alternative. Warren Sawkiw(sp?) isn't bad, and the post game guy Mike Wilmer thinks he knows everything and I don't think he's ever agreed with a caller, no matter how many times he's contradicted himself.

now i'm out here in L.A. i get to hear hudler on a daily basis. he's ok. he's funny and gets all worked up. probably because he's stoned 1/2 the time.

and again due to my geographic location i get to see the hated dodgers daily. it's cool hearing scully though. he's a legend but, the dodgers games on tv- there's something about them that makes them seem soooo sloooow.

i like jon miller- good voice.

i don't mind krukow and kuiper.

can't stand the white sox duo.

karros is cool- always sticks up for the players.

sutcliffe is a freak.

morgan is weird- he's so frigging full of himself. but, he knows the game and was a great player.

i could go on all day...

Archived