Best and Worst announcers ?

i think its funny... that no one seems to like Joe Buck and Tim McGarver (me included, FOX should really find someone else)

favorites:

Bob Costas and Bob Uecker (they made the World Series when they were on NBC awesome)

Chris Berman

Bobby Mercer

Phil Ruzzuto (used to tell stories about anything, but he was funny as hell)

Jerry Remy

get rid of:

Tim McCarver (know it all "in my view", and he screws up everyone's names)

Joe Buck

Suzyn Waldman (her voice, her face, her opinion...ugh)

Michael Kay (not terrible, but there are so many better people out there)

Joe Morgan (yeah he was a HOF player... but i dont need to hear it every 5 minutes from him or Jon Miller kissing his @$$.... him and McCarver would be awesome b/c they could fight over who has the bigger ego)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ron santo's cubs love can't get overwhelming but you gotta respect the guy for living for his team

hawk's catchphrase is so annoying luckily for me all I remember for it was that he says it when the sox hit homeruns and that it is annoying

Best I've personally heard, Jack Buck.

Worst:

Atlanta Braves announcers since games have been televised on TBS.

Joe Morgan and Jon Miller on every ESPN game they've ever done.

The two morons who do the play by play on MVP 2005

Most of the Cubs TV announcers (WGN broadcasts)

Costas doing any game announcing.

The current Cardinals TV & radio duos.

That's all I can think of right now.

I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, so I get to listen to a variety of announcers. My absolute favorite is Vin Scully of the Dodgers. I like the way he wroks alone and it's like he is speaking to everyone at home watching the game. Of course I also like the Braves announcers, but I'm biased. The guys I hate are the Whte Sox announcers, Tim McCarver, Mark Grace, and any other announcers who cheer. It really iritates me when I have to listen to some Jackass who cheers all game. Cheering is my job as a fan. These biased announcers ruin watching a game for me.

I agree with the post above. This is my first year getting MLB extra Innings and it's a joy to listen to Scully.

best:

Vin Scully

Bob Costas

Jon Miller

Harry Kalas

Gary Cohen

Al Michaels

Joe Buck

Morgan (can be annoying at times, but overall he doesn't bother me)

worst:

Chris Berman

Michael Kay

Joe Simpson

Don Sutton

Skip Caray

Chip Caray

Lou Piniella

David Justice

Rick sutcliffe

Rex Hudler

Joe Castiglione

I cant stand him commentate, he makes every fly ball seem like its going way out of the park.

HERES THE BALL, WAY BACK... caught by the 2nd baseman on the infield.

I also don't like the YES network guys. If they could talk about anything but Yankee history and how great their team is, they might be bearable./quote]

no offense, but if they have their own network, they arent gonna talk about the history of the diamondbacks. no offense to the D-Backs, you guys won it all in '01. damnit.

and i love al leiter in the booth with michael kay. even though he doesnt seem to be a natural announcer, i love when he constantly proves kay wrong.

"well, michael, i'm not so sure about that..."

Best:

Braves TBS cast (except Chip, he sometimes gets on my nerves).

Joe Buck

Al Michaels

Worst

Bob Rathbun.

P.S. Fox please put the TBS crew back on Turner South! I can't take much more of Bob Rathbun and Ron Gant!!

Best:

The Old Turner South guys with Pete and Don and them.

Vin Scully

Worst:

Bob Rathburn

Everyone on YES

White Sux Guys

Everyone on FOX

Especially Tim McCarver

Chris "i'm a douchebag so I'm going to make nicknames for everyone" "The Schvam" [sic] Berman

The new Braves guys.

Worst: Bob Costas (too much crap about politics, stupid stuff, not very knowledgable about sports, really)

Tim McCarver - absolutely just horrid.

Todd Christenson - Even worse than Costas, he literally is ignorant.

All those idiot Braves announcers - what a bunch of tools.

Best: Vin Scully, Gary Thorne, Charlie Steiner, Denny Matthews, Al Michaels

hmm...seems like alot of people can't stand hawk and dj and the braves announcers...just wondering.

i'm okay with hawk and dj, but then again, they were the first announcers i really listened to on baseball, and i like the sox causally since the early 90's, when i started following baseball. they are funny and i like them.

and the brave announcers(not chip), a bunch say they are homers too all the time and/or boring. i don't think so. funny guys as well, keep it fun.

here's another bad one, chip carey. i can't stand him at times, on sunday, he was so exictied the cubs tied the game, sounded like an old wgn game, so i had to turn to len on wgn (he used to do fish games), who didn't go all marlins biased when the marlins were kicking cub butt earlier in the week. kasper is probaly the most underrated announcer today.

berman has tended to suck doing baseball lately, he seems to go talk on some tagent for innings, and worse if tony gwynn was there, who was okay with anyone else, expect he just talks alot (which i'm okay with).

boog schambi is a good and another underrated announcer. he's on espn sometimes.

all fox announcers should be fired. same goes for much of espn. does fox intenotally get everyone's rejects?

darin sutton, haven't heard him much, he's the play by play for the brew crew, don sutton mentions him a few times, since that's his son.

here's another bad one, chip carey. i can't stand him at times, on sunday, he was so exictied the cubs tied the game, sounded like an old wgn game

I was thinking the exact same thing! He kept talking to Pete or whoever it was that he was with all about Wrigley history and traditions. It making me so aggrivated because he wouldn't shut up about the Cubs and Wrigley on the Braves Network. :wall:

BTW no offense to Cubs fan or anything its just that I want to hear talk about the Braves not the Cubs.

I was thinking the exact same thing! He kept talking to Pete or whoever it was that he was with all about Wrigley history and traditions. It making me so aggrivated because he wouldn't shut up about the Cubs and Wrigley on the Braves Network. :wall:

BTW no offense to Cubs fan or anything its just that I want to hear talk about the Braves not the Cubs.

I hear ya Stix, but you have to admit our announcers are better at talking about the Cubs than their own announcers are. That crap they have now sucks.

I hear ya Stix, but you have to admit our announcers are better at talking about the Cubs than their own announcers are. That crap they have now sucks.

Very true! :lol:

as a huge A's fan I listen to kruk and kuip all hte time. what makes people think they are not good announcers?

they messed up MVP Baseball.

as a huge A's fan I listen to kruk and kuip all hte time. what makes people think they are not good announcers?

Apparently you haven't listened to them enough.

They aren't as bad on KNBR because I don't hear Kruk go "Big boy" as much. When they are on KNBR , however , I try to avoid listening because Dave Fleming and Jon Miller are a better play by play crew. On KNBR today Jon Miller did a hilarious impression of Bob Sheppard , Yankee Stadium announcer , which was hilarious. How can people not enjoy Jon Miller's wit and humor?

If MVP ever comes back to PC , who would you want doing the play-by-play? They need to have Bob Costas do baseball on a video game again but I would choose Fleming and Miller instead of "Kruk" and "Kuipe"

Archived