Best and Worst announcers ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

worst;

the guy on high heat

Yanks announcers..Sterling and Kay

Best; I'm biased but I love the Indians radio announcer Tom Hamilton,and probably my all time favorite was the late great

Mets and Sunday condensed ND football hilites show: Lindsey Nelson. That was way back :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I am a big red sox fan, but since my location i have to listen to whatever MLB Extra Innings decides to put, and i have noticed the Yankee announcers are pretty good, they give fair ananysis and are not huge homers! cant say that about the sox announcers hehe

Best:

Kruk and Kuip (they're knowledgeable and call a good game - they might get old in MVP but they do their job well)

Harry Carey

Vin Scully

Harry Kalas

The team of Gary Thorne/Steve Stone/Steve Phillips (freaking hilarious the way they rip on each other)

Harold Reynolds and Mike Patrick (College World Series)

John Kruk

Denny Matthews (voice of the Royals on radio)

Sam Ryan (sorry, but I think she's pretty easy to look at) :D

Average:

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan

Hawk Harrelson

Paul Splittorff

Worst:

Bob Davis (Royals - just doesn't seem to know much)

Ryan Lefebvre (see Bob Davis and add annoying)

Astros announcers (don't know names - could care less)

Joe Buck

Stab my ears out (physically can't watch a game unless I put on mute):

Tim McCarver (hated him since he did Mets games in the 80s)

When I watch the M's on FSN I like Dave Henderson. He really knows the game. Dave Niehaus was good but is getting too old, too many mistakes now. Never liked Buck or any NL announcers. Random grudge I guess.

ANDY FROST

(TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS)

Air Canada Centre - Toronto - Ontario - Canada

ohh u mean the play-by-play

well thats wat i call them

Jamie Cambell is awsome

Kuip and Kruk get really annoying in-game because they repeat the same things too often but I've heard them do a few games and they're not so bad. They talk about a lot of things about the game and everything. The ones I don't like and can't stand:

Hawk and that other guy that do the White Sox games, I hate the "and you can put it on the board" crap and how they keep reading fan emails in-game and all of them are the same crap and say "Go Sox" on them

The guys who do the Yankee games and keep saying "see ya!", etc.

The Rockies guys, I saw every game in the series with the Jays and they made it seem like their team was the best team in the league and they're far from it.

This will probably sound biased, but I only watch Phillies games, and I catch the Cubs and White Sox on WGN from time to time. (Why I have a Chicago-based station in Philadelphia confuses me beyond belief - so does Comcast!)

I love Harry Kalas for the fact that he is a hall-of-fame announcer and he loves the Phillies, which is evident in his broadcasts. I also like Larry Andersen, because he and Kalas are the best broadcast team the Phils have. I can tolerate Scott Graham, but Chris Wheeler is the worst announcer in the bigs, period. He doesn't care about the game, and he hates Kalas, which makes for an interesting three innings every game. Leave it to Wheels to say something along the lines of "The Phils have some real pitching troubles this year," and surprise, someone gives up a three-run jack or something like that. Wheels always then says something incredibly dumb like, "Well, that's exactly what they didn't want to happen." I'm convinced he is a robot devoid of emotions and a soul.

As for the rest of the MLB announcers, I only have heard the Phils, Cubs, White Sox, and Braves crews, and none of them are really that exciting. The Sox guys get repetitive after a while, and the Braves guys on TBS are boring. I don't watch that many Cubs games, so I don't know that much about them.

On another note, I love Jim Jackson for the Flyers, and Joe Beninati for the Capitals (I'm a HUGE Ovechkin fan!), Merril Reese for the Eagles, and Marc Zumoff and Steve Mix, which I believe is the best tandem in the NBA, for the Sixers.

The guy who does the Reds and the guy who does the Phillies, I think they are both awful. The guy who does the Yankees, hes really good. The two guys who do the A's are really good too.

Best:

Ernie Harwell "and he stood there like the house on the side of the road and watched strike three go by." About the most quality guy you'll ever want to meet in any walk of life.

Vin Scully. Is there any announcer more prepared per game as him?

Curt Gowdy. He knew when NOT to talk and let the game play out (on TV of course). Check out the "other" Kirk Gibson homer in the 5th game of the 1984 WS.

George Kell (personal favorite), with that Arkansas accent "and there's a looong belt!"

Worst:

Hawk Harrelson by far. The absolute worst announcer I've ever heard (that's 40 years worth, folks). All those snide left handed compliments directed at the opposing team, calling them the bad guys (how childish), and that irritating "he gone" thing. I sent him an e-mail to read on the air. I suggested he be more professional. Needless to say, he didn't read it. :lol:

Tim McCarver. I'm sick to death of this clown.

Tony Kubek. For a former player, he sure didn't seem to know much about baseball.

The best ever: Jack Buck

The best currently Mike Shannon, his knowledge of the game and personality go beyond anybody I've heard.

I'm not too fond of Joe Buck, but I don't hate him.

I always kind of liked Bob Uecker, he's the only one that can get away with that "Mr. Radio" voice that so many announcers use horribly.

I always kind of liked Bob Uecker, he's the only one that can get away with that "Mr. Radio" voice that so many announcers use horribly.

I forgot about Uecker! He's the man, great voice, plus he was on Mr. Belvedere!! :hail: The Belvedere!

Archived