No hitter or not? EA may have got this scoring wrong

Yankee4Life

I played a game last night with Columbus and Rochester and I was credited with a no hitter. Trouble is, I am not sure if I should have recieved one. Here is the box score for the game right here.

The inning in question is the top of the ninth. Ruben Sierra reached first base via an error. That's not what I am questioning, but check out what happened with the next hitter. Here's the line for it: Scott Baker reached on a fielder's choice on a sacrifice bunt as Sierra beat the throw to second. Now what happened was, Baker tried to sacrifice Sierra to second. He did not try to get on base via the bunt, he squared away bunting before the pitch was thrown. And yes, that made no sense being five runs down but I was not playing a human opponent here. Ok, so he trys to bunt. My pitcher fields, turns and throws to second and Sierra is ruled safe. The throw to first is too late to get Baker. Runners on first and second.

Would you rule this a base hit? I am kind of leaning this way myself.

I would say that it was a feilders choice and you get the no hitter because when you fielded the bunt you couldv'e easly gotten the guy out at first but you chose to throw it to second so it was ruled a fielders choice.

just to elaborate, the official ruling would be sacrifice bunt, reached on a fielder's choice. still no hit though.

10.09(B) - Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the fielders handle a bunted ball without error in an unsuccessful attempt to put out a preceding runner advancing one base.

of course, if the batter-runner had no chance of being thrown out in the first place, it would be ruled a hit - but i'm assuming he would have obviously been out had you thrown to first.

also, if you had gotten the guy at second, then it would be a fielder's choice all around with no sacrifice.

Archived