Learning to play guitar

Totte

Does anyone know if there are any good websites that teaches you how to play acoustic guitar?

I used to know of a really good one....when I first started playing, its the website i used. I have a list of old web sites I no longer use hanging around in my house on a piece of paper somewhere....If i can find it, and it has the guitar website (and the site is still active), I'll post it back here in a little bit....

I used to know of a really good one....when I first started playing, its the website i used. I have a list of old web sites I no longer use hanging around in my house on a piece of paper somewhere....If i can find it, and it has the guitar website (and the site is still active), I'll post it back here in a little bit....

Great - thanks :wtg:

off the topic of learning but here are a couple of my fav. players. Les Claypool (primus) and Buckethead.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uBqITqRFkto&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8dQvNFq2rGE

I don't wanna turn this thread into a guitarist discussion but...

Your friend Mr.Buckethead sounds like Steve Vai and Les Claypool is just like Xavier Rudd (only with an electric guitar instead (:wink:))

Yay, know i can say I'm better at totte than something! :D (I've been playing guitar for about 5 years.) Well, I am smarter when it came to choosing the best team in baseball, but other than that...

Great - thanks :wtg:

Totte...this main site has alot of guitar related programs. Not sure if they are shareware/freeware or whatever.... http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/guitar.html

The program I actually used years ago is on this site, its called EasyTab. Besides what the description reads, it used to have "lessons"....From the screenshot it still has a drop down for that....but im not sure if its any good anymore. I remember learning from it basic chords and such...not sure of its full capabilites.

Can't guarentee the program is still any good, or anything on the site is...hopefully it is.

Totte --

The best way to learn guitar is to get a chord book, sit down with the chords for a simple song that you know fairly well (Try http://www.tabrobot.com to find chord files, but beware: All tab/chord sites have pop-ups!) and just hack it out until you find your natural rhythm and the tips of your fingers bleed and fall off (seriously. severe skin peeling and callous-building is part of the process). Once you master those chords and changes, move on to a different song.

On another note -- did you get my e-mail?

--Eric

i was a working musician for 13+ years (guitar). best thing you can do is learn to tune it. then learn a few basic chords. you shouldn't concentrate on learning to play other peoples music but, rather concentrate on developing your own style. experiment with SOUNDS not trying to be all fancy and technical. you can get a huge amount of sounds out of an electric but you need to be open to experimenting. the best bands maybe don't have the most technical shredding guitarists but have a unique style. the techinical gods usually have one thing in common -they are unique in their styles not just another eddie van halen wanna be. essentially what they may do technically may be deemed "uncorrect" musically by musician snobs but are unique enough to stand out. look at jimi hendrix- technically what he played may not have been correct but he probably could do it technically correct if he wanted. learn the basics then branch out into your own style.

i was a working musician for 13+ years (guitar). best thing you can do is learn to tune it. then learn a few basic chords. you shouldn't concentrate on learning to play other peoples music but, rather concentrate on developing your own style. experiment with SOUNDS not trying to be all fancy and technical. you can get a huge amount of sounds out of an electric but you need to be open to experimenting. the best bands maybe don't have the most technical shredding guitarists but have a unique style. the techinical gods usually have one thing in common -they are unique in their styles not just another eddie van halen wanna be. essentially what they may do technically may be deemed "uncorrect" musically by musician snobs but are unique enough to stand out. look at jimi hendrix- technically what he played may not have been correct but he probably could do it technically correct if he wanted. learn the basics then branch out into your own style.

Oh god I'm doomed. I have played piano for umm 12 years. Have been attempting to learn guitar for a good 8 years....tho keep in mind I have not really devoted alot of time to it. And you know my biggest problem? I cannot tune the guitar. At all. I have no ear for it whatsoever. One time I thought I had the guitar tuned, and my uncle ( the person who bought it for me)....took the guitar, played a few notes, shook his head, and asked me if I was trying to bust the strings. Not only was my tuning way off, I was also about 4 octaves too high he said :)

Like i said....absolutely no ear at all!

Oh god I'm doomed. I have played piano for umm 12 years. Have been attempting to learn guitar for a good 8 years....tho keep in mind I have not really devoted alot of time to it. And you know my biggest problem? I cannot tune the guitar. At all. I have no ear for it whatsoever. One time I thought I had the guitar tuned, and my uncle ( the person who bought it for me)....took the guitar, played a few notes, shook his head, and asked me if I was trying to bust the strings. Not only was my tuning way off, I was also about 4 octaves too high he said :)

Like i said....absolutely no ear at all!

buy a tuner. it's easy to use and really helps. especially onstage when you can mute and tune silently.

• 2 weeks later...

off the topic of learning but here are a couple of my fav. players. Les Claypool (primus) and Buckethead.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uBqITqRFkto&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8dQvNFq2rGE

Les Claypool is definitely awesome. I love slap bass. I play guitar myself and I kinda taught myself how to play and I would say I'm pretty good. I have been playing for about 4 years now.

Totte --

The best way to learn guitar is to get a chord book, sit down with the chords for a simple song and just hack it out until you find your natural rhythm and the tips of your fingers bleed and fall off (seriously. severe skin peeling and callous-building is part of the process). Once you master those chords and changes, move on to a different song.

I agree with getting a chord book, and playing simple songs. Skin peeling will NOT occur if you are using a Classical guitar (nylon strings). If you are using a guitar that has steel strings, yep...there will be some of that involved.

Your friend Mr.Buckethead sounds like Steve Vai and Les Claypool is just like Xavier Rudd

I love Xavier Rudd. Anyone who can become famous playing the dijeridou (sp?) is someone worth listening to. :wink:

Archived