Making The Grade... A 2006 Oakland A's Dynasty

rolliefingers08

dynastytop.gif

Game 1 of 3: Oakland Athletics (39-31) @ Colorado Rockies (28-41)

A's Feeling Lightheaded In Colorado

0620.gif

Left: Helton watches his first inning homer fly deep into the Denver night. Right: The A's dugout reacts in disgust as Payton is picked off at 2nd in the 9th inning.

0620box.gif

Heading into a series with the lowly Colorado Rockies, the A's were hopeful this would be a time to lick some wounds, get some rest for select players, and win 2 or 3 games. Those goals will be a bit harder to reach now as the Green and Gold lost the opener by a score of 3-1.

Todd Helton got things started in the home half of the first with a deep home run into the right field bleachers to make it 1-0. In the 4th, Brad Hawpe tripled and was brought home by a Garrett Adkins single an out later to take a 2-0 lead.

The A's came within 1 the next inning when Nick Swisher singled up the middle to cash Milton Bradley, but the Rockies tacked on again in the 6th when another triple led to a sac fly from Hawpe and a 3-1 Rockies lead.

Barry Zito left after the 6th having gave up 3 runs on 6 hits, walking 1 and striking out 5. Jay Witasick and Joe Kennedy both pitched scoreless innings in relief. Jason Jennings was solid for the Rockies, allowing just 1 run on 5 hits and 2 walks, striking out 6 over 7 innings of work. Jeremy Affeldt earned his 14th save of the season with a scoreless 9th, in which Jay Payton led off with a double but proceeded to be picked off at 2nd base, taking the life out of an A's rally.

Clubhouse Talk:

Macha: "Mistakes kill a ballclub, plain and simple, and the mental ones are the difference between a pennant and sitting at home in October."

Roster Notes: Before the game the A's re-called 1B Dan Johnson from AAA Sacramento, and re-assigned IF Keith Ginter.

Tomorrow: Rich Harden will miss his chance to face off against Canadian counterpart Jeff Francis, as he'll make the start tommorow against Aaron Cook, while Francis pitches in the final game against the A's Esteban Loaiza.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dynastytop.gif

Game 2 of 3: Oakland Athletics (39-32) @ Colorado Rockies (29-41)

A's Pound Their Way To Win

0621.gif

Left: Helton gets blown away by a 99 MPH fastball from Harden. Right: A deep drive from Ellis hits the foul pole in left for a 3-run homer.

0621box.gif

After a loss yesterday, the A's were in need of a bounce back against the Colorado Rockies tonight, and they got it done early too.

Mark Kotsay and Jay Payton hit back to back doubles to open the scoring in the top of the first off of Rockies starter Aaron Cook. In the 2nd, Milton Bradley led off with a solo home run to make it 2-0. Nick Swisher walked before a Mark Ellis single, and they were bunted over by Rich Harden in just his 6th career at bat. Jason Kendall singled right up the middle to score both runs and take a 4-0 lead.

More of the same in the 3rd when Bradley hit a triple to deep right centerfield with 2 outs, followed by another walk to Swisher. Ellis stepped up and hit the first pitch he saw deep down the left field line, and the swirling wind kept it fair as the ball hit right in the middle of the pole for Ellis' 5th homer of the season, giving the A's a 7-0 lead.

Harden pitched into the 8th before he finally ran into trouble, allowing a run and loading the bases before giving way to Scott Schoeneweis, who gave up 2 hits to clear the bases and bring the Rockies to within 3. Harden finished with 7 and a third pitched, giving up 6 hits and 4 runs, walking 4 and striking out 4. Justin Duchscherer gave up a couple hits in the 9th, but a double play got him off the hook as the A's took the game 7-4.

Clubhouse Talk:

Macha: "We let them get a little too close in the end, but all in all it was a good performance out there."

Roster Notes: Huston Street is to be activated from the 15-day DL tommorow... Dan Johnson was re-assigned to AAA Sacramento following the game.

Tomorrow: The A's go for a series victory as they send Esteban Loaiza to the hill against Jeff Francis.

Ugh, this really pisses me off. Played a great game that I won, and as I alt-tabbed to make the report, sometime during that time my computer spontaneously restarted as it likes to do, as the report was all done and everything, and now its lost.

When this happens... it really makes me hate the game and not want to replay it. Or make a report again. So I didn't. I managed it, A's win 8-6. Duchscherer with the win. Street with the save in his first game back.

Off to San Francisco...

dynastytop.gif

Game 1 of 3: Oakland Athletics (41-32) @ San Francisco Giants (38-35)

A Giant Mistake

0624.gif

Left: Witasick misses the ball on a simple 1st base cover to allow a run late. Right: Macha blows a gasket in the 9th when Kotsay is called out at first.

0624box.gif

The A's began their 3-game set with their cross-bay rivals with hopes to build momentum for the rest of the season, as the Los Angeles Angels inch back into the AL West race, now just 4 games back.

Ray Durham opened the scoring for the Giants, hitting a leadoff home run on the 2nd pitch he saw to make it 1-0. It was 2-0 after 2 when Mike Matheny brought in a run from 2nd with a single just over the glove of Eric Chavez into left field. The A's climbed back in the 5th with an RBI double by Bobby Crosby, but the Giants regained the 2 run lead in the bottom half when Barry Bonds drove in a run from 3rd base to make it 3-1 Giants.

Some creativity was needed on the part of A's manager Ken Macha. Having lost Nick Swisher to an injury earlier in the game, and already tapped into the bench, a double switch was made to have Barry Zito pinch run for Frank Thomas. The move worked out conveniently, as Zito intentionally walked Bonds with a few lazy tosses and then in came Jay Witasick.

Things went well until Witasick made a costly error leading to a run scoring in the 9th, and that run later came around to score, making it 5-1 Giants. The A's scored a meaningless run in the top of the 9th, but that was all they could muster as the Giants won 5-2.

Clubhouse Talk:

Witasick: "I just didn't watch it all the way in and before I knew it the runner was on and the run scored. It was an awful play, but I've got to put it behind me."

Injury Report: Nick Swisher left the game with a sprained wrist, and will miss the rest of the series... Adam Melhuse will take over 1st base duties, with the possibility of Frank Thomas seeing his first field time in 2 years.

Tomorrow: Joe Blanton on the hill against Matt Cain.

dynastytop.gif

Game 2 of 3: Oakland Athletics (41-33) @ San Francisco Giants (39-35)

A's Lose As Barry Dukes It Out

0625.gif

Left: "See ya" for Bonds as his 19th gives the Giants the late inning lead. Right: Benitez sits them down easily for his 15th save on the campaign.

0625box.gif

Joe Blanton took the mound in hopes of earning his post-game cupcakes today, and he did so with a decent performance over 5 innings, striking out 3 and allowing just 2 runs on 4 hits, but with an eye opening walks total of 5.

With the game tied 2-2 in the 8th, the A's took the lead on a solo homer by Milton Bradley, and suddenly the Duchscherer-Street tandem was ready to go in full force. Trouble is the game never got to Street, as Duchscherer served up a 2-run homer to Barry Bonds, giving the Giants a 4-3 lead. That was all they needed as Armando Benitez closed the door for his 15th save of the season.

Clubhouse Talk:

Duchscherer: "I don't need a media scrum around me asking me the same quetion in different words to tell me I blew it. The wrong pitch, the wrong guy. That's it."

Tomorrow: The aces are on the mound as Barry Zito takes on Jason Schmidt.

dynastytop.gif

Swisher Signs On For Two More

oak_69671.jpg

Swisher on his knees at home plate, after scoring a winning run

icon_oak.gif The Oakland Athletics are pleased to announce today that they have agreed to a two year contract extension with 1B/OF Nick Swisher.

"He's become one of the core guys in our lineup, and we just wanted to get a deal done now to save some grief during the off season" says GM Billy Beane. "Swish brings that energy to the park every day and we wanted to make sure it's here for a lot longer."

Swisher has hit a slump lately with an average of .225, but has 5 home runs and 25 RBIs on the campaign.

The deal is worth a total of $1.8 million and will see Swisher in an A's uniform through the 2008 season.

dynastytop.gif

Swisher Signs On For Two More

oak_69671.jpg

Swisher on his knees at home plate, after scoring a winning run

icon_oak.gif The Oakland Athletics are pleased to announce today that they have agreed to a two year contract extension with 1B/OF Nick Swisher.

"He's become one of the core guys in our lineup, and we just wanted to get a deal done now to save some grief during the off season" says GM Billy Beane. "Swish brings that energy to the park every day and we wanted to make sure it's here for a lot longer."

Swisher has hit a slump lately with an average of .225, but has 5 home runs and 25 RBIs on the campaign.

The deal is worth a total of $1.8 million and will see Swisher in an A's uniform through the 2008 season.

Cool, a real picture.

dynastytop.gif

Game 3 of 3: Oakland Athletics (41-34) @ San Francisco Giants (40-35)

Just Like Old Times

0626.gif

Left: The first pitch is thrown as the A's and Giants are dressed for the 70s. Right: Get the stretcher out! Thomas makes a great stretch in his first field appearance in 2 years.

0626box.gif

The A's hoped to rekindle some of the magic from their three World Series titles in the early 1970's on 70's Day in San Francisco. The boys in Green and Gold were really green in their road uniform with gold socks, while the Giants wore their black alternate from the late 70's and early 80's.

As for the game, Barry Zito was on the mound to face off against Giants ace Jason Schmidt. Both pitched well early, but the Giants struck in the 4th inning when Omar Vizquel singled down the 1st base line and brought in a couple runs to make it 2-0. Barry Zito led off the 6th inning and registered his 1st career hit on a double into left field. He was followed up by a Jason Kendall single in which the Giants overthrew the catcher at home plate, scoring Zito easily. As Kendall ran to 2nd, backup catcher Justin Knoedler made an awful throw to the base leading to the ball rolling all the way to the warning track, and scoring Kendall easily to tie the game at 2-2.

In the 8th, with Mark Kotsay on 3rd base, Frank Thomas stepped up to the plate, getting a little more feel for the game than usual as he made his 1st appearance at 1st base in nearly 2 years. The Big Hurt came through with a deep fly ball to centerfield, scoring Kotsay on a sac fly to take a 3-2 lead. Bobby Kielty hit a pinch hit home run in the 9th, giving the A's some insurance, and Huston Street saved his 16th for the A's to leave San Francisco with a 4-2 win.

Clubhouse Talk:

Thomas: (on his fielding) "I was nervous out there, just because I hadn't been used to it in awhile. As the game went on I was a lot more comfortable though. I hope I get the opportunity again."

Tomorrow: The A's have a travel day as they make their way to San Diego. Rich Harden (7-8) will be up against Chan Ho Park (5-3) in game 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news... at least for me :p

I'll be back playing again very soon as I am finally able to, well, have a normal day. For awhile it was pretty hard for me to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time, and when I started going back to school, that was the only thing I was able to put my energy together for, but now I'm back to normal everyday life so I'll start playing again pretty quick.

• 4 weeks later...

dynastytop.gif

Game 1 of 3: Oakland Athletics (42-34) @ San Diego Padres (44-32)

Mark It Down As A Win

0628.gif

Left: Ellis connects for a double to score three in the top of the 2nd. Right: Barfield trots around 2nd after hitting a 2-run shot, but it wasn't enough.

0628box.gif

Light hitting, defensive second baseman Mark Ellis was the hero for the A's on Friday night, driving in three of the A's five runs en route to a 5-2 victory over the San Diego Padres in the first of a 3-game series.

Ellis went 4-for-4, including the 2nd inning double off Padres starter Chan Ho Park that cleared the loaded bases to give the A's an early 3-0 lead. Rich Harden went 5 and 2/3 innings before running into trouble in the 6th, giving up a 2-run homer to Josh Barfield. Joe Kennedy allowed a hit and a walk, but then got the A's out of the 6th inning jam before giving way to a solid 2 innings of work by Justin Duchscherer.

Milton Bradley and Jason Kendall drove in runs in the 9th inning to give the A's insurance, and Huston Street picked up his 17th save of the season to close out the victory.

Clubhouse Talk:

Ellis: "It's great to have a night like that every once in awhile. Anytime I can take the load off the shoulders of our big guys, I'm happy to do it.."

Tomorrow: Esteban Loaiza takes the ball in game 2 against David Wells.

Well it wouldn't be my dynasty without my computer freezing in the middle of a game last night. I'm thinking its a connection with Bobby Crosby. He injures himself, he injures other people (see: Mark Ellis, Ron Washington) and now he's injuring my computer while he's at the plate.

I'm gonna steal an idea from another dynasty and take some mailbag questions, similar to the mailbag on the A's site.

So bring in the questions, and if you like, leave a name/fake name, or just your username, and hometown.

I look forward to the questions.

Keep in mind though... "Mychael Urban" of MLB.com is answering these, not myself :p

dynastytop.gif

Game 2 of 3: Oakland Athletics (43-34) @ San Diego Padres (44-33)

Loaiza Roughed Up Again

0629.gif

Left: Loaiza is stunned as he reacts to the 10th hit of the game. Right: He may be fat and 42, but Wells tossed a solid game en route to victory.

0629box.gif

Esteban Loaiza had hoped to begin turning around his awful 2-6 record to start the season, but such was not the case tonight in San Diego as the 34 year old Mexican was roughed up once again and the A's lost 6-1.

Part of the problem was allowing his counterpart David Wells, a portly 42 year old go 2 for 3 at the plate, including a double. Mike Piazza hit a 2-run homer in the 3rd inning, his 9th on the campaign, while Eric Chavez scored the only A's run - unearned because of an error by Wells.

Loaiza's final line had him allowing 6 runs on 10 hits, walking 2 and striking out 5 over 5 and 1/3 innings. Jay Witasick and Scott Schoeneweis kept the game within reach after that, but Tim Stauffer earned the save for the Padres, striking out 2 over the final 3 innings.

Clubhouse Talk:

Macha: "There's no doubt we're upset with tonight's performance, but these are the kinks that need to be worked out if we're going to win this division."

Tomorrow: Dan Haren takes the ball in the final game of the series against Shawn Estes of the Padres.

Archived