I had a dream...

DustinTheWin

i think the fact that you know who biggio is would defeat your "not a household name" theory. come on, he's a sure fire hall of famer, was part of the killer b's...he's gotta be an icon, just because he doesnt' hit 50 homers doesn't mean he's not well known, the guy is a gamer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oswalt and Zambrano may be getting the shaft, they'd played one less season than santana, don't face DHs, and zambrano's not a strikeout type of pitches, so i can understand leaving them out.

but biggio is what baseball used to be, when he's gone, that'll be it for players of old. even some of the younger managers won't understand how baseball used to work. the paternal relationships of private/singular owners(most teams are now owned by groups or companies, better on the taxes), true teams (many kid's leagues only keep the Select teams together, Biggio has been on the same team his whole career), versatility and talent (okay, so he can't dive but he's stretching 40!), community (google the Sunshine Kids), pine tar helmets? u gotta love the dirt on the helmet!!!

sorry i just had to edumacate u guys on what i read/hear of him

anywho, maybe we should re-think santana? i dunno, it's redsx's mod anyway

i think pudge has got to b an icon, the guy's a hispanic jonny (sp?) bench, i remember seeing him throw out a runner at first as he was just getting up (i swear, coolest site that year)

I disagree with almost all of your list. lol. WAY too many people that are IN NO WAY an icon - at all. For instance: ADAM DUNN? Maybe the strikeout icon. pffft.

The quote I left above are only the players I AGREE'D with from your list.

Obviously I'm not saying my list is right and yours is wrong - but I think people still don't get the idea of an icon - not just "this teams couple of decent players."

that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but I CAN"T BELIEVE you left out Johan Santana, and Andruw Jones.

i think santana is a bit too early in his career, u include him then we'd have to add a few batters and hitters

if u include ortiz u should include santana though, ortiz is becoming an icon but all his years with the twins were't for much

that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but I CAN"T BELIEVE you left out Johan Santana, and Andruw Jones.

Andruw Jones is a career .267 hitter with 1556 hits and 342 homers. I don't think he's HOF bound... at all. He may be the big name for the Braves - but is he really an ICON of baseball?

Johan Santana is a much better case. I guess I'm just wanting to see if he's really gonna keep going like his is - but I think it'd be pretty easy to convince me to put Santana on "my" list - way before Jones, that's for sure.

Andruw Jones is a career .267 hitter with 1556 hits and 342 homers. I don't think he's HOF bound... at all. He may be the big name for the Braves - but is he really an ICON of baseball?

Johan Santana is a much better case. I guess I'm just wanting to see if he's really gonna keep going like his is - but I think it'd be pretty easy to convince me to put Santana on "my" list - way before Jones, that's for sure.

jones has been in the league for 10 years, and has made the all-star team 5 times, he's only 29, he won't be 30 until the start of next season, assuming he plays for at least 5 more seasons, and hits at least 34 homers a season (which is his career average) he would reach 500 homers. he's only 29 though, assume he plays another 7 years, maybe 8. Going off of his career stats, he'd have almost 2800 hits, 500+ home runs, 1800+ RBI's. he'd have more hits than mickey mantle, a similar ammount of homers, and more RBI's than mick. I believe those are hall of fame numbers.

i agree with mav, but if u're trying to predict stats, lets stay on the safe side and use numbers a little below average should another bad year come around, but i'll second jones should he need support, besides he could play ten more years.

but i do think "icon" isn't necessarily the right word for the madden idea, i really think it's easier to be a madden icon to be a madden "icon" so i have no problem supporting the <30y.o. group

*cries* stupid rule V draft, why'd u have to remind me Eric? :(

we did get a few future astros but lane, rodiguez (and gallo? id we get him that year) just don't seem a fair trade. *shrug* but i'd say we did okay with signing amatuers that year.

can the stros and the cards form a super organization in, oh i dunno, oklahoma? norman to be more specific. or bette yet, just give the astros pujols for a last round draft pick-- that seems fair.

the astros are already the yanks of the NL (a far as salary, not trophies), they might as well get their babe ruth for a dime.

OH!!!! I think i have a good idea!!!

why not just go by star potential in the dat files (UR, '05, '04, whatever)??? all the 5 stars get stars then the +30/35 years old group can go down to 4 star, stats, contributions, importance, etc. cuz the video game will make 5 stars iconic sooner or later anyway if u play dynasty, and giving the older 4 stars iconic stats would allow for more teams to have icons during exhibition play

this is quickly turning into an icon thread and it needs to get back to the point of the project, i am about 1/3 done and i am having school troubles and it will be a few days before i am back on track with making this project...

I knew someone who was born in Venezuela and was draftd by the Astros when he was 17...he was an infielder and was pretty good in the minors and then he blew out his shoulder and couldn't play anymore.

no offence but no, i am picking players that are faces of the franchise and are icons...no specific guidelines

yeah, i understand, but since everyone's disagreeing so much, maybe you should have a very loose guildine where you can defenitely make exceptions or take out people if you want to, but just some glue to hold things together.

redsx, don't worry, take your time, school should come first (let's not mention that i have to write 5 page essay in the next 12 hours or so).

oh and i know eric's a big biggio fan, and has probably already this, but just so everyone knows wat to lok forward to next year . . .

"Contract talks:

Purpura confirmed that he spoke with Craig Biggio's agent, Barry Axelrod, on Wednesday regarding a contract for 2007.

"It was very positive," Purpura said. "Nothing to report yet."

Biggio ended the season 70 hits shy of 3,000. He's tied with Jake Beckley and Rogers Hornsby for 31st on the Major League Baseball all-time list. He also ranks ninth all-time with 637 doubles, three away from eighth-place holder Honus Wagner.

Biggio finished the season with 21 home runs, marking his eighth 20-homer season. Among players who played primarily second base, only Jeff Kent has more 20-homer seasons (11). " - Alyson Footer "Astros Notes . . ."

recognize any of those names? if Biggio pulls ahead another place or to on his all-time categories Houston may have a new hometown hero

why do I have be a transplanted fan??? did you know Norman, OK plays the cardinals games? how cruel is that? had I know that I would've rethought going here.

Archived