The Book Thread

fred13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have thought about getting V for Vendetta and The Count of Monte Cristo (loved those movies). I've heard The Count of Monte Cristo is a beast of a book and is 90% dialogue. So I would probably shy away from that one.

It is a large book; however, I LOVE that movie so I decided to give it a shot.

I really enjoyed it, mainly because it takes the story to a whole new level, explaining things the movie couldn't; because, if the director had tried, the movie would be 10 hours long...easy. It gets very in depth into the characters and the motivation behind their actions. Definitely not for the casual reader but, if someone really wants to dive into the story as Dumas wanted it to be told, it is an adventure that I enjoyed taking part in.

I bought 4 new books today, tell me what you think

Game of Shadows

Juiced

(Using these for school: Affects of Performance-Enhancing Drugs on Society)

How to get Rich by Donald Trump

An autobiography of Nelson Mandela (can't remember the name, my mom is reading it right now)

If anyone knows anything that can help me out on the topic I mentioned above, especially if it relates to teen use, I'd really appreciate it.

I think that if you had bought Cashflow Quadrant or Rich Dad Poor Dad you'd know that you maybe did the wrong thing in buying that book by Trump. Maybe.

One wonders if you also read Bukowski or Chuck Pahalnaizunalkausdfkask (Fight Club guy)? I've had a few conversations with other instructors here that he may be the new J.D. Salinger.

One also wonders if you thought that thing about the aunt was creepily out of place and ruined the book. You know what I'm talking about.

--Eric

I've never read Bukowski, but have read every Palahniuk book. That man is a genius. Anyone who has seen Fight Club but not read the book should be ashamed.

And I assume you're talking about the aunt in Perks? If so, then yes, very creepy.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of Cathcer in the Rye. I haven't read it personally but half the people I talk to say its good and the other half say its boring at hell.

Read it and decide for yourself. I personally love it, and it's one of my favorite books.

I don't hate reading. What I hate is when your school gives you books that are so boring.

Books recommended by NYM:

Contagion (disease/mystery)

Fallen Angels (Great Nam book)

All Quiet on the Western Front (WWI or II I can't remeber)

Jose Cansecos' Juiced

Tales From the Mets Dugout

Probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

If you're up for a real challenge, try the book Texas. In my English class if you read the entire book before Thanksgiving break, you get ten points added to your report card grade. O yea, did I mention it was 1322 pages? (No that wasn't a typo)

NYM, you should read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand. Its 1200 pages and like 8 pt font. Its actually really good. I'm pretty sure their in the process of making the movie right now. I read it in Grade 9, a lot of people had a bit of trouble reading it because of the sophistication of the writing but If you have a strong grasp on language, it shoudlnt be too hard.

Catcher in the Rye by Salinger
Read that, that was really good, i like it. Also, someone (i forget who) mentioned 1984. That was also a good book, and I also read Animal Farm, both of which are good. I also like To kill a Mockingbird. I was in 6th grade when I read that, and I almost cried. I'd still cry today too, that was a really great book. However, my all-time favorite book would have to be Alice in Wonderland. Other favorties:

~Lefty's Legacy (biography of Sandy Koufax)

~The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series - the movie was surprisingly good, but the book's still much better.)

~The Historical Baseball Abstract (I love all Bill James' books, even if he does annoy me sometimes.)

~The Phantom Tollbooth (Alice in Wonderland-style in a way.)

Comic Books:

~The Spirit - Will Eisner (favorite comci artist of all time)

~1602 - Neil Gaiman (he writes good stuff)

~The ORIGINAL Spiderman (great stuff - it's so pitifully 60s. :D )

~Understanding Comics by Scot McCloud

Did you know Carrol was high on LSD when he wrote that. I guess I'm just stateing the obvious though :lol: (anyone who's read it could probably figure out he was cracked out on something)

well the harry potter books are generally associated with

a)children

b)girls/women

c)homosexuals...

i was just clarifying I am neither of these.

I can see the first two, but I've never ever in my life heard of Harry Potter being specifically related to homosexuals. It seems like an asinine point to harp on.

As to the other stuff. Skip Atlas Shrugged and anything that bears the stench of Ayn Rand. Do study the works of Will Eisner, Harvey Kurtzman and Alex Toth. And for the love of Pete, read Sandman instead of 1602. Thank you.

If you're up for a real challenge, try the book Texas. In my English class if you read the entire book before Thanksgiving break, you get ten points added to your report card grade. O yea, did I mention it was 1322 pages? (No that wasn't a typo)

Oh, and is this James Michener? I suggest reading Caravans by him.

i did read some of Sandman, i think the first book, but most of it i couldn't get into, just was too... dull. dull, dull, dull. (quoting monty phyton.) and 1602 wasn't too bad, it was actually surprisingly good. It's not some stupid little children's version of "superheroes a long, long time ago!" It's pretty complex, has good historical references, it's accurate, and it's just an all around good read - not going to win the nobel proze in literature, doesn't deserve to either, but it's just a good book to relax on a summer's day and read it.

• 4 months later...

Okay, so once again I need help from all of you.

Does anyone know of a novel that can define American Culture during the 20th century? It can be from any particular decade from the 30's to the 70's.

Thanks in Advance.

I can name metric tons of books. But you're going to have to be more specific about culture. What sorts of things are you looking for?

Anything that would define the way of life during that period. Its for my "West and the World" history class. Everyone is doing books on war but I'd rather focus on everyday life sometime in the 20th century. It could be about racism in the south or about the "beatnik" lifestyle in the big cities. Anything really, it just has to be fiction, and preferably a "classic" book. Thanks Eric, I was actually thinking that you could probably name a ton of books on any subject for that matter :D

And in the metric system its "tonne" lol :lol:

For the 20th C., I'd try to stick to a post-modernist author. Gives you a good view of bleak, consumeristic, unhappy marriage-living, rat race running schmucks. Here are some of the big ones that I enjoy:

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Everyman - Philip Roth

Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - Sherman Alexie

Confederacy of Dunces - Peter Kennedy Toole

Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (a war book, but only sorta)

I can't think of any good books by women to put on here, and a big reason for that is that many contemporary women writers are writing historical fiction to fill in the gaps where women weren't previously represented -- Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, etc.

But these stabs at American culture might be too vague for what you need. Check the Wikipedia summaries to see what you think. Are there more specific things you've talked about in class? Where do you live? Are there authors that address your specific environment of American culture? Also...how old are you again?

--Eric

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" is one that came to mind, and Harper Lee is a woman. It does define a certain "sub-category" of American culture during a certain era, but not sure it's broad enough to be the only book you use that defines all.

Personally, with the huge growth in surveillance and Orwellian measures taken by various governments, I'd say "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell sums it up pretty well, although that might not be what you're looking for as far as the wider-reaching and immediate implications on society.

Personally, with the huge growth in surveillance and Orwellian measures taken by various governments, I'd say "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell sums it up pretty well, although that might not be what you're looking for as far as the wider-reaching and immediate implications on society.
Actually, that kind of came to mind before. It's a great book, but it might not relate to American culture through all of the 20th century as well as other books, but it could still be used very well. Unfortunately it seem all too frightening in this day in age with all the mega-security measures and the Patriot Act and whatnot.

For the 20th C., I'd try to stick to a post-modernist author. Gives you a good view of bleak, consumeristic, unhappy marriage-living, rat race running schmucks. Here are some of the big ones that I enjoy:

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Everyman - Philip Roth

Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - Sherman Alexie

Confederacy of Dunces - Peter Kennedy Toole

Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (a war book, but only sorta)

I can't think of any good books by women to put on here, and a big reason for that is that many contemporary women writers are writing historical fiction to fill in the gaps where women weren't previously represented -- Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, etc.

But these stabs at American culture might be too vague for what you need. Check the Wikipedia summaries to see what you think. Are there more specific things you've talked about in class? Where do you live? Are there authors that address your specific environment of American culture? Also...how old are you again?

--Eric

Thanks for the info Eric, I'm turning 18 in May, and I live in Canada, but I want to study US life as it just interests me more. The study doesn't have to apply directly to the class because it's like an independent study unit added for the Advanced class. Its more of a "read something and write a crap load about why it matters" kinda thing. I've already read Catch-22 though.

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" is one that came to mind, and Harper Lee is a woman. It does define a certain "sub-category" of American culture during a certain era, but not sure it's broad enough to be the only book you use that defines all.

I already read it in Grade 6, I'm trying to find something at a higher reading level. But thanks for the input.

I had thought of doing this book and I'll look into it more but I havn't decided on anything yet. Thanks though.

I thought about To Kill a Mockingbird too, and that might be a good one. But not 1984, because Orwell's British and the novel, if I remember correctly, is set in a dystopian Britain. But Fred didn't specify that the author had to be American, so....

I knew you were Canadian. Another interesting book might be Margaret Atwood's Surfacing, which uses America as a metaphor for lots of things that are wrong in the world. It's a very environmental, female-centric, anti-consumerist, etc. etc. book. But you, as a Canadian, might find it interesting.

--Eric

I don't hate reading. What I hate is when your school gives you books that are so boring.

Man, that brings back memories for me NYM. When I was in high school, my school required us to read books over the summer and we were tested on them in September. The books that were on the list were very uninteresting to say the least.

What books were they, Y4L?

Here's another thought, Fred. In Truman Capote's In Cold Blood (not a novel, but a "non-fiction novel" -- Capote's words), there's a great passage about how the night of these murders was the first night that many Kansas...ites? Kansasians? Anyway...Kansas citizens locked their doors. You might be able to use that image as a metaphor and paint that decade as a turning point for America.

--Eric

Archived