Length of TakeTwo's MLB deal is only 2 years?

Fatalah

Hey guys, I'm just doing some industry research and I came across this blip on hoovers.com (basically a very good business research tool).

When EA suffered a challenge to its popular Madden NFL franchise from Take-Two and SEGA (which had joined up to create a set of low-priced, ESPN-branded sports titles), it fired back by procuring a five-year exclusive license to use NFL players and teams in its games as well as acquiring the exclusive rights to the ESPN trademark in 2006. Take-Two retaliated to these challenges with a two-year exclusive license to use NMLB teams in its games, essentially putting an end to any new versions of EA's blockbuster hit MVP Baseball during that time. Not to be outdone, EA's gone after the co-ed crowd -- the company made a deal with the NCAA for exclusive rights to teams and colleges across all game systems for six years. Additionally, in order to expand the reach of its NFL franchise, the company is developing the first sports strategy game, NFL Head Coach, expected to be released in 2006. The game revolves around assembling and coaching a winning team over the course of several seasons.

Only 2 years? Thought the deal was 7? If true, by 2008 we'll have a new EA MLB MVP game.

Well, it's bad because if EA were to get MLB rights back and make another game, then this site would probably not run anymore because they wouldn't want someone else trying to modify their game legally, even if there was no charge. It would probably make the game better if this site was still running (and hopefully will) when the new game comes out, but EA might not let that happen without legal issues.

you could still run this site. hasnt it been up since 2004? they lost the their right to the game in 2006. that means two years when ea had legal rights to the game.

oohh. I see now. I was wondering why this website was allowed by EA. But still, I'd rather have a game made by EA so I can sit at home in my basement at play comfortablely. And also against people on the Xboxlive. The mods are great, and I hope they continue, but c'monnn

c'mmooonnnn!

they have a 7 year MLBPA deal and a 2 year MLB deal

the MLB deal is open ended where T2 can extend it to a total of 7 years if they choose (without having to bid against other companies)

NO MLBPA means fake player names

NO MLB means fake team and stadium names

Well, it's bad because if EA were to get MLB rights back and make another game, then this site would probably not run anymore because they wouldn't want someone else trying to modify their game legally, even if there was no charge. It would probably make the game better if this site was still running (and hopefully will) when the new game comes out, but EA might not let that happen without legal issues.

Well no, not really. This site has had to bring money in EA's pockets. Look how many people bought the game because of the mods this place put out. And look how many people are still looking to buy this game to this day. The sooner EA gets baseball back the better.

I never really understood, why EA didn't develop a game with fake players/teams, like Konami did with Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven. Because within a month you'd have original player and teams with all the modders around here. Same happened with PES.

And it would be the only Baseball PC game, so many people would buy it.

Well no, not really. This site has had to bring money in EA's pockets. Look how many people bought the game because of the mods this place put out. And look how many people are still looking to buy this game to this day. The sooner EA gets baseball back the better.

Good point. I had this game on Gamecube, and I heard about some site (this site) having roster updates and stuff. I checked it out, and here I am.

Good point. I had this game on Gamecube, and I heard about some site (this site) having roster updates and stuff. I checked it out, and here I am.

Then wouldn't that be illegal? Changing the fake stadium and player names back to the real and original ones with T2 still having their ''rights'' or whatever?

Then wouldn't that be illegal? Changing the fake stadium and player names back to the real and original ones with T2 still having their ''rights'' or whatever?

you mean like how you have barry bonds in your game?

you mean like how you have barry bonds in your game?

I mean EA wouldn't be allowed to have real MLB players in their games, but that's exactly what you were talking about. Changing the fake players to the existing ones on EA'S GAME and EA sold the rights to T2...right?

I mean EA wouldn't be allowed to have real MLB players in their games, but that's exactly what you were talking about. Changing the fake players to the existing ones on EA'S GAME and EA sold the rights to T2...right?

EA didn't sell the rights to T2. They never had the exclusive rights to begin with. This all started because EA bought the exclusive rights to the NFL and NFLPA for Madden.

T2 retaliated by buying the MLB and MLBPA rights, thus locking EA out of professional baseball games.

EA didn't sell the rights to T2. They never had the exclusive rights to begin with. This all started because EA bought the exclusive rights to the NFL and NFLPA for Madden.

T2 retaliated by buying the MLB and MLBPA rights, thus locking EA out of professional baseball games.

which sucks so bad

My point is though, we've already been doing that, and if you've got barry bonds, your guilty of it as well... Remember, he was "Jon Dowd" because hes not in the MLBPA... its not really any different... i think ea might do it if they can get the mlb license after two... i mean really, they do it every year with ncaa games... "fake" players that all you gotta do is change the names... if ea realizes theyll get some money out of it, theyll prolly do it...

My point is though, we've already been doing that, and if you've got barry bonds, your guilty of it as well... Remember, he was "Jon Dowd" because hes not in the MLBPA... its not really any different... i think ea might do it if they can get the mlb license after two... i mean really, they do it every year with ncaa games... "fake" players that all you gotta do is change the names... if ea realizes theyll get some money out of it, theyll prolly do it...

You're right -- we make changes and put ads on stadiums and change fake players to real players (Barry Bonds, Kevin Millar, Cory Lidle, etc.), however, the reason neither EA nor any other company complains is that no one here is selling these mods for profit or taking money out of EA's pocket. As someone mentioned earlier, if anything, this site is prolonging the life of the game and putting money INTO EA's pockets.

You're right -- we make changes and put ads on stadiums and change fake players to real players (Barry Bonds, Kevin Millar, Cory Lidle, etc.), however, the reason neither EA nor any other company complains is that no one here is selling these mods for profit or taking money out of EA's pocket. As someone mentioned earlier, if anything, this site is prolonging the life of the game and putting money INTO EA's pockets.

Makes sense.

Honestly? I don't think EA cares. They're smart enough to recognize that we're (well, you guys, the ones who do the awesome work -- I don't want to make credit) making the game more popular. If we were to start releasing alternatives to the game (instead of adding onto the game, we started competing with their game by making MVP 07 (but based on the MVP 05 engine), then they would probably get on our cases.

However, let me chime in with this: I used to be really into the Madden scene. I remember there used to be a lot of custom rosters released, in particular, stuff for console games.

One of the lead producers of the Madden games registered over at one of the most popular sites (Madden Mania, maybe?)... his name? Jeremy Strauser, if I'm remembering correctly. Anyway, one of the members of the site there was getting on his case or something, ragging on EA Sports as a malicious, evil company, or whatever. He response? Something along the lines of, "You know, a lot of what this site entails could technically be viewed as competition to EA Sports. However, when it comes to fan community sites like this, we tend to turn the other cheek." That is completely paraphrased and may be very inaccurate, but that's how I remember it going.

In other words: EA recognizes that all of this leads to more interest of the game. If we start costing them sales (eg: preventing people from buying new versions by buying alternatives), then they would have a beef. But they always add new things that are nearly impossible for modders to update themselves -- animations, stances, in-game mods, changes to the hard-code of the game itself, etc -- so modding the newest version is almost always a no-brainer choice (as opposed to just modding one version of the game year after year).

Now, unfortunately... if EA were to release a new MLB game... I would question whether or not it would make it to the PC. After all, NCAA didn't...

I never really understood, why EA didn't develop a game with fake players/teams, like Konami did with Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven. Because within a month you'd have original player and teams with all the modders around here. Same happened with PES.

And it would be the only Baseball PC game, so many people would buy it.

I love this idea.

Now, unfortunately... if EA were to release a new MLB game... I would question whether or not it would make it to the PC. After all, NCAA didn't...

I believe the reason why NCAA never came out on the pc was because none of the college games come out on the pc. The college basketball and football ones are console only as well, so it might have something to do with a certain contract or license

i don't think so, as long as we don't charge money for it. Like you can play any song in the street that's copyrighted, as long as you don't sell CDs of yourself singing that song.

Archived