PSD Cutout Thread

Fastflink2009

Use magic wand tool in conjunction with polygonal lasso tool to do my cuttings. I finally use the erase tool if I can't use either of the two in certain areas.

dont use the magic wand. it can screw up your renders big time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You can always use the Masking and use the pen tool while it's on. I personally use the Polygonal tool because the outcome is great. Unlike the pen tool, this tool rarely has jagged edges which makes the render cut-outs bad sometimes. The bad thing about the Polygonal tool is you have to get used to it after awhile. Like you can't make paths so once you click on a spot there's no going back like you could do using the Pen tool, also, you cannot in the middle of using it, go to another browser or program, etc. Otherwise it'll then select the area you had which sucks ALOT. Also, it is always good to zoom in far so you can see clearly what area you need to take out.

It depends on the quality, size and being able to know what is apart of the background or person. Like if I have a image like wallpaper size I usually go like 500% to 700%. It really depends on the image itself, sometimes the contrast in colors is really well so I only have to go in like at 300%. This render I cut out was very easy, I went in at 600%.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/andr...relleWillis.jpg

A good contrast in colors made it easy to cut but because he has a white jersey on it can sometimes take awhile to have it perfect. In these cases, you can do this..Layer>Matting>Defringe>1(not always but 1 pixel usually does the job). What that'll do is basically remove a 1 pixel width of the image. That can be very useful in these cases. Cutting out renders can be time consuming though.

Archived