College Football BCS talk

brutushayesosu

Here's some facts you left out. They had a real close call against Tennesse early in the season. 21 to 20 I think. They lost to Auburn, who isn't bad, but they played Florida State, who is bad, to a close game last week. Plus Georgia, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina all played them within a touchdown. None of those teams are anything special. Michigan, besides their loss to the #1 team in the country, had only one game within a touchdown. They beat a good Wisconsin team, Slaughtered Notre Dame and shut down a very good Iowa team. Ball State gave them a run but Michigan put the starters back in and beat them by 8. The had a similar schedule to Florida, they played a lot of average teams, a few bad ones, and a few good ones. Michigan clearly has the better margin of victory.

I agree that the BCS is terrible but until somebody realizes that one person should schedule for everyone it is not going anywhere. And BCS-wise, Michigan is a better team.

That leads to the point I've been trying to make and the part that I think is wrong - and a point that I make for every team, not just with my Florida bias:

Florida has won the same amount of games as Michigan...and if they win Saturday, one more game than Michigan. But they didn't do it with "flair" or "style" or whatever else you want to call it. That is the problem I have with the system. I don't believe that there should be a category of "wins" - if two teams go 11-1 with similar type competition, then both teams are 11-1.

We aren't ever going to agree on what teams should be ranked where - but at least you are agreeing that the BCS is flawed and that there needs to be something done with scheduling. Although I don't believe that one person should make up the college schedule or that the regular season schedule should be uniform (the rivalries would be taken away, and that is what makes college football great), I do believe that conferences should get together and establish one form of championship game. Right now, I'm just going to have to ***** about how shitty it is - but hopefully someday before I burn the NCAA headquarters down, there will be a playoff system in place.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BCS wants to be "fair" to the little teams. If they really wanted to fix it they would play the top ranked teams against each other all season but then the little schools would complain about how they're not getting a chance. Of course with the BCS teams like Boise St. still don't have a chance but the BCS claims they do.

The BCS wants to be "fair" to the little teams. If they really wanted to fix it they would play the top ranked teams against each other all season but then the little schools would complain about how they're not getting a chance. Of course with the BCS teams like Boise St. still don't have a chance but the BCS claims they do.

A big thing about the little schools currently gettting shots at the "contenders" is that those schools earn a lot of money for that game. For instance, when Miami played FIU this season, FIU pulled in a few million dollars for the game (and that fact was a big portion of their apology for the brawl: "...they give us a shot like this and we waste it by doing something stupid" [paraphrase].

My idea would be to lock in two non-con games per year of the school's choosing - the others would be conference games. Then, the first Saturday of December would be "Conference Championship Day." It would keep the rivalries together, as well as allow the smaller schools the chance to continue to play the higher competition; while making a solid effort to determine the best in each conference.

probably will, unless florida pulls away from arkansas.

Edit: Let me rephrase... Unless Florida comes back on Arkansas....

but it's looking more and more like an OSU & Michigan rematch.

may be michigan either way.

Arkansas now up. This is hilarious.

thats my argument against Michigan. Although if they are deserving to get in then they should play. I f they win they should spilt and immediatly set up a playoff system for next year. rip up all the contracts and give FOX the middle finger.

K so FL takes a TO and punts? Then ARK's haitian returner fumbles on the 5 yd line!!! What is going on!?!?

to anyone watching the SEC Championship game....

WTF is Urban Meyer thinking?..... With 4 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter they just took their LAST timeout....

Arkansas is dominating right now though....

Also...Arkansas' scholar athlete has a 2.8 GPA? and he's the "scholar"

and now Arkansas just blew a punt and Florida recovered for a TD, this game is absolutely insanse right now....MY GOD!!!!!

when? I missed a gruesome injury?!? Son of a....

awww they said it wasnt broke. bummer. haha. There was a nasty knee injury in the Memphis game a week or two ago. The dudes leg turned to rubber while he was running then he was tacked and it turned into ostrich leg. That and the USC guy breaking his leg against Nebraska were the worst Ive seen this year.

^^ worst one I've ever seen was Willis McGahee against OSU in the championship game a few years ago.

best pic i could find for now...his knee actuall goes backwards....ouch..

injury%20mcgahee.jpg

on another note, that was a nice double pass from arkansas for the TD!

Archived