College Football BCS talk

brutushayesosu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan didnt win the Big T11N they came in 2nd. Florida won the SEC championship game. they are a champion

Ahhh I thought they were talkin about the whole thing, not just divisions. I see now.

Ohio State didn't have to play Wisconsin this season so I think you can throw the entire conference winner thing out the window. The BCS is "supposed" to pit the two best teams in the nation, not conference champions. Michigan is clearly superior to Florida, and is the best bet for a very entertaining BCS Championship game.

Having said that, I don't see any way that "they" will allow a rematch in this game. So we'll have Ohio State wipe the floor with Florida while Michigan and USC play the best game of the entire BCS in the Rose Bowl. Isn't that what it's all about, entertaining football?

Having said that, I don't see any way that "they" will allow a rematch in this game. So we'll have Ohio State wipe the floor with Florida while Michigan and USC play the best game of the entire BCS in the Rose Bowl. Isn't that what it's all about, entertaining football?

Yep, it's all about the ratings.

Poor Rutgers, if they won, they would have gone to the Orange Bowl. They get paid 17 million to go to the Orange Bowl. Instead they are going to the Texas bowl where they will get 500K instead.

Ohio State didn't have to play Wisconsin this season so I think you can throw the entire conference winner thing out the window. The BCS is "supposed" to pit the two best teams in the nation, not conference champions. Michigan is clearly superior to Florida, and is the best bet for a very entertaining BCS Championship game.

First, Wisconsin is way overrated. No. 7? They only played one ranked opponent all season - Michigan - and lost. That's not the makings of a No. 7 team. So I don't think they have a gripe about being excluded from the Big Ten champion talk.

-Florida beat nine projected bowl teams, Michigan six.

-Michigan beat five sub .500 teams - Florida two.

-By opponent winning percentage, Florida has the toughest strength of schedule - Michigan third.

-Florida's opponents finished with 11 combined wins against teams that were ranked in the AP Top 25 at the time of the game. Michigan...3.

-Michigan lost by 3 at Ohio State. Florida lost BY THREE at Auburn - without giving up an offensive touchdown.

(Mark Schlabach)

No ones taking anything away from Michigan - they're a quality team. But don't give me that "Florida doesn't deserve it" bullshit - they played a tougher schedule, they WON the goddamn SEC...the toughest conference in college football, and now they deserve their shot at #1.

from: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...mark&id=2684345

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship.

A little of what you said plus more. I wish they both didnt play the I-AA teams but I think OSU plays Youngstown St. next yr so I cant complain much. I think the resumes speak for themselves and Florida should get in. Michigan had their chance at a sure spot in the game and lost. Relying on other teams to lose shouldnt give a team the reward of playing in the championship game. Florida won out. They should be in. What I havent heard from reporters is the scenerio of what would have happened if Wisconsin beat Michigan and ended up undefeated!

Well, let's face it: of course you want Florida to get in; they're probably the worst team out of Michigan, Florida, and USC, and give OSU the best chance to win the Fiesta Bowl.

The recent poll they had on ESPN was kind of interesting. The majority (53/47) want Florida to play OSU, but feel that Michigan has the better offense (59/41) and defense (57/43) to face OSU.

Obviously I'm a proponent of Michigan playing against OSU again. That game would probably get the highest ratings, which is all the NCAA wants.

THIS IS TOTAL BULL ****

Michigan just keeps dropping every week.... Why were they even ranked 3rd this week. Florida wins by 10 and that's enough to jump past a team that's only loss was a 3 point loss to the number 1 team in the nation, while Florida's loss came to a team out of the top 10.... BCS is the most stupidest thing ever because its not based on computers it based on public opinion.

I see many of you read that ESPN article.

All I've been saying is that, until conference play is on equal footing, conference results have nothing to do with who should play in this BCS game. I think that argument is being way overrused.

It's all moot now, though. Looks like the decision will go in favor of Florida, and much of that has to do with a tasty matchup of Michigan and USC in the Rose Bowl. Ratings, ratings.

Where college football differs from other sports is in tradition. As soon as we start trying to make it "fair" like professional sports, the tradition is gone. It used to be that you have a good season, maybe win your conference and get rewarded with a nice bowl game. Now it's all about being #1 nationally. The end result will be a playoff where a lot of good teams will finish their season with a bitter loss, and that's kind of sad. But.....we absolutely must have a winner and loser, right? And I'll just hate to see those great rivalries go away. Michigan-Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn, USC-UCLA, etc.

And don't forget, even with a playoff, there still has to be a selection. Deserving teams will be left out of the playoff.

The argument that I want OSU to play Florida over Michigan because I think they have a better chance of winning is pretty dumb. First off, I dont play for OSU and it really doesnt impact my life if they win or lose. Just means I will buy a tshirt or something. Your right that the BCS is based on public opinion. Thats why it will always be inferior to a playoff system. Theres no real resolution in the end unless there's one undefeated who is obviously the #1 team. Auburn fans are probably still griping about what happened a couple years ago. As they should.

Florida may have played a tougher schedule but they also played every game close. If you look at one my earlier posts I said something about them having very close calls against Tennesse, Vanderbilt and some other teams. Michigan, except for Ball St., dominated the teams they played this year.

I agree with you, but that argument can go both ways. On one hand, you could say that Florida played the tougher schedule, therefore playing better teams, which equals closer games. On the other hand, you can say Michigan played the easier games, and being the good team that they are, won handily.

OSU in 2002 goes against victory spread arguments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Florida tops Michigan by 3 votes in AP and 26 in USA today's.. I dont know how the BCS avg is computed and whether points matter or the spot does. But this makes it look like Florida is in. Although, Al Gore had more votes than Bush etc. haha

if Florida played Michigan's schedule they would have dominated everyone too, except Ohio State.
But if Michigan played Florida's schedule there is no doubt in my mind that Michigan would have beat Auburn, and still be undefeated...

But if Michigan played Florida's schedule there is no doubt in my mind that Michigan would have beat Auburn, and still be undefeated...

and I have no doubt in my mind that Florida would beat Michigan. but neither of our doubts, or lack thereof, mean a hell of a lot.

Archived