Trouble with Installer Thingy

thespungo

I've used the thiny before with zero problems, but as soon as I give the new version a shot on my brand new computer I run into some problems. In the midst of installing some uniforms, I get this windows message each time:

"fifafs.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I remember Kraw saying something about fifas before, but I can't find where he said it and what exactly he said about the program.

fifafs is the only BIG utility that does not corrupt files. It is they only one that obeys EA's hash rules.

But it really does not like:

Overclocking

Bad memory

bad HDs

You are limited to how many files you can import base on how much memory your computer has

Plus I do not know how it reacts to Vista

I can't install portraits anymore without corrupting my portrait.big. Maybe these problems are related.

Maybe you've found the limit on portraits allowed in portrait.big?

fifafs is the only BIG utility that does not corrupt files. It is they only one that obeys EA's hash rules.

Overclocking

Bad memory

bad HDs

You are limited to how many files you can import base on how much memory your computer has

Can you confirm that eazip corrupts files?

Yes

When I was tiring to come up with a way to make MVPedit work with BIG archives with more that 3000 items I tried adding files with eazip first.

Eazip would corrupt the files, I then found ImpBIG.exe

ImpBIG.exe seems to corrupt if you add too many files at one time but MVPedit only does 3 files at a time at most

The problem with ImpBIG.exe is it would not delete item from BIG files, But eazip does and does not seem to corrupt when doing so.

So with MVPedit

ImpBIG.exe imports new files

eazip deletes files from within BIG archives

At the time Fifafs was not an option because it was too slow, adding 1 face would have taken like 5 minutes. I have not revisited the issue since fifafs increased its speed

Overclocking

Bad memory

bad HDs

I have 2GB of RAM, a 320 GB RAID, and I'm running XP Media Center (But will soon upgrade to Vista Premium).

Archived