December 8th

Yankee4Life

Twenty six years ago, former Beatle John Lennon was shot and killed in New York City by some nutcase. Lennon founded the Beatles, a group that inspired many bands.

I recall watching Monday Night Football that night and my sister's reaction to the news. My father and I were watching the game and Howard Cosell gave us the sad news. All of a sudden we could hear her crying. I didn't even know she was watching the game. She really took this news hard as she was broken up about it, as were millions of people over the world.

You want to talk about senseless killings and someone dying way too young, you look at what happened here to this guy. Like the Beatles or not, the influence that group had will never be matched by anyone else.

What I remember most about this was the outpouring of love for this guy. People were broken up about this terrible news. Some people, for reasons known only to them, literally killed themselves over it. Yoko Ono had to go on the radio to beg kids to stop killing themselves.

John Lennon was only 40.

sad occasion....the guy made great music with the beatles and decent music on his own. never want to see someone killed young and for no reason.

I celebrate the man's years with the beatles...

probably the greatest songwriter ever... he created amazing music, really a tragedy that he died so young. I hope his memory will be remembered forever, and that his dream of world peace is fulfilled eventually...

Archived