MVP on the TV.

cb

Recently I discovered the TV I have in my computer room has an S-Video port in the back, and with a $20 cable from Radio Shack, I'm now able to play MVP on my TV. It's defenatly brought life back into the game for me, as I was beginning to lose interest. I was interested in seeing if anybody else plays like this.

-cb

Well it depends on what inputs you have on your tv. If you have a port that looks like this:

svideo.jpg

then you need an S-Video cable.

as for alternatives, i have no idea how else to connect to computer to your tv.

S-video is really horrible compared to most other output formats. If it's the best you can do, go for it, but even VGA or DVI is better than S-video. Unless your TV is exponentially better and/or larger than your PC's monitor, you might just be better playing through your monitor.

welcome to the high tech world. there are all sorts of converters if you didn't know. your laptop (if made within the last decade) should have some sort of video output. and yes there are converters to each type if you want to watch it on tv. wait until you try it on a big screen. there was already a topic on this earlier. i think some of the craziest set ups mentioned were high def big screen projectors.

I have a cable for my digital camera goes into the TV. I can use the same cable on my bro's laptop. It is audio and video so whenever he's in town we hook it up and I have 2 logitech dual action controllers so its pretty much like playing on a PS2 except with better graphics and these sick mods we have here.

Radioshack is absolute crap. My dad does reports on business for big companies, and Radioshack's main revenue comes from first-time customers. They have one of the smallest returning customer rates in the country.

Can you make the resolution higher on the TV? Will it run with good graphics? smooth gameplay?

there's no reason for it to run differently unless you're running on a different machine. the tv is merely a display. the resolution will be limited to what the tv can display.

Radioshack is absolute crap. My dad does reports on business for big companies, and Radioshack's main revenue comes from first-time customers. They have one of the smallest returning customer rates in the country. And nothing I buy from Radioshack works.

It's funny you say that because I know exactly where you are coming from. Radio Shack ships out of Fort Worth, TX through Fed Ex. Now I work at Fed Ex loading the trailers for the Chicago and Sacramento areas as well as Radio Shack returns. The thing is, when we get hit with Radio Shack shipment, they send 6-700 packages down the chutes an hour and lotssssss of the stuff gets damaged, because I know I personally walk all over the boxes to try and make room in the trailer or if there is a jam at the top of the chute that I have to break. And the Radio Shack returns that I handle, looks like people have pissed all over the boxes. They really are a sh*tty a*s company, and I suggest everyone boycott Radio Shack! haha

Sorry for the :offtopic: response

You suggested that VGA is the better one to use? What do I buy to connect the PC to my TV?

Not quite, I said VGA is better than S-video. Getting into a large input debate could take a while and is very open to opinion, but in my opinion, HDMI or DVI is top of the list, closely followed by component. VGA is further down on the list and is followed by S-video. After that, you're scooping the bottom of the quality barrel and going into things like composite and coaxial inputs. Use them and you might as well dig out the old black and white 8" TV from your basement. :)

EDIT - To answer your second question, it depends on what outputs your graphics card has. You could go with a lower type and convert it, but you'd be upscaling it anyway, so you'd be lucky to notice a lot, if any, quality improvement over staying with the native output. For example, if your graphics card outputs only coaxial (just for argument's sake, I assume your eyes would bleed if it did) and you used a converter to convert it to HDMI and use it in your brand-new $2,000 TV, the quality of what's actually being output sucks anyway, so using a higher-quality conversion wouldn't make any difference to the original image.

If your graphics card has an output for HDMI, yes, that would be pretty much perfect.

Crap. Probably where I go wrong, my graphics card is at least 3 years old. Maybe once I upgrade it I'll make sure I find one with output for HDMI. :spin:

That has DVI, VGA and S-video outputs. If you want to give it a try, get a DVI to HDMI converter, you probably won't notice much quality difference between the 2 anyway. HDMI is slightly better, but unless you're a total graphics connoisseur, it'll be pretty difficult to notice any difference.

Archived