Don't buy a Dell

Sean O

No, laptops are going to heat-up yes, that is obvious. But Laptops do not "overheat" all the time. Overheating is bad and destroys components. Whereas the normal laptop heat, although hot, doesn't affect the computer.

Ive never had any problems with my Dell Dimension 5100. Ive added a new PSU, BFG 7600GT, and x-fi sound card with i/o module and never got a frozen system or blue screen. My gf on the other hand has a Dell laptop and has had nothing but problems. She only uses it for school stuff and for her mp3s. I wouldnt say dont buy a Dell, just be careful

We've got 3 Dell's at home (Dimension 4300 purchased in 2002, Dimension 4600 purchased in 2004 and an Inspiron 2600 laptop purchased in 2005).

Both of the Dimensions suffered hard drive failures (the 4300 in Oct. 2005 and the 4600 in Nov. 2006). Luckily, I was able to get my data off of the drives before they stopped working. The 4600 hard drive still works as long as I don't try booting off of it. I've got it installed as a secondary drive in the 4300 right now.

Ironically, both of the hard drives were made by Maxtor and I've read about problems with these drives on the Dell support forums. I replaced both of the failing drives with Western Digital hard drives.

If nothing else, these experiences taught me the value of regularly backing up data and it showed me that installing an operating system isn't so hard after all (time consuming, but not hard).

Other than those issues, I've been satisfied with Dell......

My Dad's built my last computer for me, and I haven't had any hardware issues, aside from occasionally wanting to upgrade. Now I also have an E-Machine, bought on the cheap from Best Buy, that's worked pretty well too.

--Eric

Archived