Perfect Catch . . . A Florida Marlins Dynasty

oxbay

Philadelphia (3-2) at Florida (3-2)

"Florida Takes Series Despite 'Ks'"

PitchMatchup.jpg

PickoffError.jpg

H. Ramirez uses this pickoff attempt, and his speed, to advance to third.

Cabrera7.jpg

J. Lieber attempts to sneak a fastball past M. Cabrera but fails.

Pitching:

W - D. Willis (2-0); L - J. Lieber (0-1); S - T. Bowyer (3)

Scoring Update:

B3 - H. Ramirez scores on M. Jacobs single (Fla 1-0)

B3 - M. Cabrera 2-run homerun (Fla 3-0)

B4 - J. Hermida scores on M. Olivo double (Fla 4-0)

T5 - J. Werth scores on R. Barajas double (Fla 4-1)

Philadelphia 1 Florida 4 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

D. Willis (2-0) - 7.0IP, 6H, 1ER, 9K (1.20 ERA)

Breakdown:

Florida: Nothing much exciting on the offensive side. J. Lieber pitched well, making only one major mistake: Attempting to sneak a fastball past M. Cabrera. M. Cabrera hit it to dead center for his sixth homerun in the first six games of the season. H. Ramirez utilized his well known speed to advance on a passed ball at first, ultimately scoring the first run of the game.

Philadelphia: This was a lack luster offensive outing for the Phillies, who struck out nine times against D. Willis. One positive aspect from this game is that Lieber pitched well for the Phillies, tossing seven innings and striking out seven.

Next Game:

Milwaukee at Florida

C. Capuano (0-0) v. J. Johnson (1-0)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOUBLE HEADER: GAME 1

Milwaukee (2-4) at Florida (4-2)

"Marlins Win, Stay Atop East With Mets"

PitchMatchup-1.jpg

KoskieK.jpg

Johnson fools Koskie with an off speed pitch.

CabreraTriple1.jpg

Cabrera slides safely into third for a triple.

FrediGonzalezArguing.jpg

Gonzalez getting tossed for arguing a called third strike on M. Cabrera

Pitching:

W - J. Johnson (2-0); L - D. Turnbow (0-2); S - T. Bowyer (3)

Scoring Update:

B2 - M. Cabrera scores on a sac fly by J. Willingham (Fla 1-0)

T3 - R. Weeks scores on single by C. Capuano (Tied 1-1)

B7 - J. Hermida scores on A. Boone single (Fla 2-1)

Milwaukee 1, Florida 2 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

J. Hermida - 3 for 3, 2B, SB (.345)

Breakdown:

Florida: Fredi Gonzalez, and the players, are glad to have this first game in the books. The home plate umpire, Ron Kulpa, put up with a lot of jawing from the Marlins dugout throughout the game and when Gonzalez approached him regarding a call, Gonzalez was immediately tossed from the game. Following the game, Gonzalez made a brief statement regarding the strike zone: "When I approached [him], all I wanted to know was where the hell the zone was at!" J. Hermida successfully expanded his strike zone and went three-for-three and J. Johnson had another great outing - throwing seven innings and striking out seven.

Milwaukee: C. Capuano was effective tonight for the Brewers, thanks to the strike zone. Capuano also tried to help out his cause by hitting a single to score R. Weeks. One noticeable thing about todays game was the 3-4-5 hitters for the Brewers: 1 for 12 with four strikeouts.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOUBLE HEADER: GAME 2

Milwaukee (2-5) at Florida (5-2)

"Homeruns Not Enough To Overpower Marlins"

PitchMatchup-2.jpg

HanleyatFirst.jpg

Hanley's speed not enough to beat the throw at first.

BrewerHR.jpg

Kevin Mench hits a homerun in the fifth.

BushHangsHead.jpg

Bush hangs his head as soon as Cabrera hits a homerun.

Pitching:

W - S. Olsen (1-0); L - D. Bush (0-1); S - T. Bowyer (4)

Scoring Update:

T1 - B. Hall scores on a K. Mench single (Mil 1-0)

T4 - C. Koskie solo homerun (Mil 2-0)

B4 - J. Willingham and J. Hermida score on M. Olivo double (Tied 2-2)

T5 - K. Mench solo homerun (Mil 3-2)

B5 - M. Cabrera 2-run homerun (Fla 4-3)

Milwaukee 3, Florida 4 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

K. Mench - 2 for 4, HR, 2RBI

Breakdown:

Florida: S. Olsen wasn't on his game today, but luckily the offense picked him up enough for a win. He surrendered eight hits and three runs over six innings. Miguel Cabrera came through once again with his seventh homerun of the season. Even though its still early in the season, the Florida bullpen is performing when being called upon. Let's hope they continue this throughout the season.

Milwaukee: The Brewers came out swinging tonight, racking up nine hits; however, they couldn't string the hits together to put runs on the board. Bush pitched well, only allowing five hits, but he made the mistake of leaving a pitch over the plate to Miguel Cabrera. Bill Hall continued his consistent production by going two-for-four with a run scored and bringing his average to .323.

Next Game:

J. Suppan (0-1) v. A. Sanchez (1-0)

Milwaukee (2-6) at Florida (6-2)

"Sanchez Shuts Down The Brewers"

PitchMatchup-3.jpg

BillHallWatch.jpg

Hall watches a homerun sail into the left field seats.

Olivothrownoutat2nd.jpg

Olivo thrown out at second while attempting to stretch his single into a double.

Hanleyscores.jpg

Ramirez beats the tag to score on an error

Pitching:

W - A. Sanchez (2-0); L - J. Suppan (0-2)

Scoring Update:

B1 - H. Ramirez solo homerun (Fla 1-0)

B2 - J. Willingham solo homerun (Fla 2-0)

B6 - H. Ramirez scores on throwing error at third (Fla 3-0)

B6 - M. Jacobs and M. Cabrera score on J. Hermida single (Fla 5-0)

T8 - C. Counsel solo homerun (Fla 5-1)

Milwaukee 1, Florida 5 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

A. Sanchez (2-0) - 9IP, 5H, ER, 5K (0.56 ERA)

Breakdown:

Florida: Hanley Ramirez led the game off with another homerun in the first inning, and all three of his homeruns on the season coming in the first inning. But, the real highlight of today's game was Anibal Sanchez. This kid showed us today why he is projected to have a promising future. His command was great, his fastball hit the mid-90s, and his off-speed pitches kept the Brewers off balance. The homerun by C. Counsel was the result of a hanging curveball.

Milwaukee: The Brewers once again showed why they have only two wins on the season. There was a complete lack-luster effort in the hitting department, with three position players going 0-for. The hitters didn't get much help from the the pitchers today, as J. Suppan gave up eight hits in 5.2 innings. The game would have definately been closer if the defense had not given up two errors on the day, but as Yost stated following the game, "Errors will kill a ballclub. If we can't play catch out there, we're not going to win games."

From the Coach's Desk:

Following today's game against the Brewers, Manager Fredi Gonzalez brought Mike Jacobs into his office to discuss hitting. After going 0-4 today, and his average at .179, Gonzalez suggested moving Jacobs down in the lineup to see if it can fire his bat up.

Florida (7-2) at Atlanta (4-5)

"Pitchers Knocked Out Early; Marlins Take Game 1"

Fla-AtlPitch.jpg

HRWatch.jpg

Diaz runs out of room on Olivo's homerun.

ATLHR.jpg

Brian McCann connects for his fourth homerun of the season.

HamptonAssChew.jpg

Hampton getting reamed after allowing his third homerun of the game

Pitching:

W - R. Nolasco (1-0); L - M. Hampton (1-1); S - T. Bowyer (5)

Scoring Update:

T2 - M. Olivo solo homerun (Fla 1-0)

B3 - B. McCann 2-run homerun (Atl 2-1)

T4 - R. Abercrombie 3-run homerun (Fla 4-2)

T5 - M. Cabrera 2-run homerun (Fla 6-2)

B5 - E. Renteria scores on W. Aybar double (Fla 6-3)

Florida 6, Atlanta 3 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

M. Olivo - 3 for 4, HR, RBI (.395)

Breakdown:

Florida: The Marlins once again showed off their power by hitting three homeruns in today's game. Of course, one of those homeruns came off the bat of M. Cabrera for his eighth of the season. In addition to hitting a three run homerun, Reggie Abercrombie also drew his fifth intentional walk of the season. I guess hitting eighth in the lineup can do this to a player!(?). On a surprising note, Travis Bowyer has been impressive in the role of closer, who shut the Braves down in the ninth for his fifth save of the season.

Atlanta: Mike Hampton had unimpressive outing by allowing five earned runs and raising his ERA to 6.97. Edgar Renteria continued performing as expected by going 3-for-4 and scoring twice. Catch Brian McCann showed some pop from the top of the lineup by connecting for his fourth homerun of the season, but as he stated after the game, "One guy can't do it by himself. Everyone needs to chip in and contribute if we plan on taking back the East."

Next Game:

D. Willis (2-0) v. J. Smoltz (0-2)

Nice dynasty.

Have you looked into ronmexico's progression mods? He has edited the contract demands to make them more realistic. So, this might help you re-sign some of these kids long-term.

Florida (8-2) at Atlanta (4-6)

"D-Train Takes It To The Braves With A Shutout!"

PitchMatchUp-2.jpg

Jonesstrikingout.jpg

Andrew Jones off balance for one of his three strikeouts on the day.

HR.jpg

Miguel Olivo's homerun barely clears the fence.

CabreraFlashingLeather.jpg

Miguel Cabrera flashes some leather.

Pitching:

W - D. Willis (3-0); L - J. Smoltz (3-0)

Scoring Update:

T1 - J. Willingham scores on a M. Jacobs single (Fla 1-0)

T2 - M. Olivo scores on a D. Willis single (Fla 2-0)

T2 - D. Willis scores on a D. Uggla ground out (Fla 3-0)

T6 - M. Cabrera solo homerun (Fla 4-0)

T9 - M. Olivo solo homerun (5-0)

Florida 5, Atlanta 0 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

D. Willis (3-0) - 9IP, 7H, 8K (0.75 ERA)

Breakdown:

Florida: The Marlins took game two today, thanks to an excellent outing by the D-Train. There is nothing like a shutout to keep a team motivated. Following the game, Willis was asked about his performance: "Everything just felt right today. I had all of my pitches working and the guys made the plays behind me and gave me some run support." In addition, when asked about his contract situation, he stated that he would prefer to not comment on things right now. Other highlights from today include Olivo's solo shot and Cabrera's ninth home run of the season.

Atlanta: "It is absolutely horrible that a team can put together seven hits and zero runs." Cox said. Moreover, Cox stated angrily that there was no truth to the rumors that Andrew Jones was being shopped. Jones, 0-for-3 on the day with three strikeouts, is hitting a pathetic .150 on the season.

Next Game:

J. Johnson (2-0) v. T. Hudson (0-0)

Nice Dynasty. Your puttinga ton of work into this. Try not to burn your self out before the All Star game!

Thanks. I'm not getting burned out, the law firm I work for has a trial starting Thursday and we're putting in really long hours. I got the evening off tonight so I might try to get a game or two in.

nice chise....just curious though, whats your total payroll?

Again, thanks. I'll get you the payroll I have once I get the game started up [hopefully later this evening].

• 2 weeks later...

#1 - I can't imagine Reggie starting in CF next season. In mine I will be sending him down and calling up Alex Sanchez. But I am waiting till I finish up my cyberfaces for the Starting Pitchers and Amezaga before I start a new Dynasty.

What I plan on doing is "outbidding" the Reds on the rights to Josh Hamilton from the Rule V draft (for those that don't know, he was drafted by the Cubs as the third pick, and the Reds then bought him for, IIRC, 100k). He doesn't have the batting ratings of Sanchez, but he is young and has potential, and a slightly better fielder with good speed (83). I was really hoping the Marlins were going to get him in the Rule V, but it didn't happen sadly.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those planning on starting a Marlin dynasty.

Also, the Marlins increased their payroll by about 10m IIRC this offseason, so you can increase yours while still being realistic.

My apologies for the delay, our case settled so I've got the weekend free.

nice chise....just curious though, whats your total payroll?

Budget - 16.8 million

Payroll - 15.3 million

Also, the Marlins increased their payroll by about 10m IIRC this offseason, so you can increase yours while still being realistic.

Man, I would love to increase the payroll mid-dynasty. I am trying to figure it out, but not having much luck. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

I'll be posting my next game shortly....

Florida (9-2) at Atlanta (4-7)

"Braves Use Solo Homeruns To Topple Marlins"

Pitching.jpg

JacobsError.jpg

Jacobs can't make the catch at first.

ChipperHR.jpg

Chipper admires his fifth homerun of the season.

ManagerPissed.jpg

Gonzalez shows his frustration after Mitre gives up a solo homerun in the bottom of the seventh.

Pitching:

W - T. Hudson (1-0); L - S. Mitre (0-1); S - O. Villarreal (2)

Scoring Update:

B1 - C. Jones solo homerun (Atl 1-0)

T2 - M. Cabrera solo homerun (Tied 1-1)

T5 - J. Hermida scores on M. Olivo single (Fla 2-1)

B5 - E. Renteria solo homerun (Tied 2-2)

B7 - M. Diaz solo homerun (Atl 3-2)

Florida 2, Atlanta 3 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

M. Diaz - 2 for 3, HR, RBI (.233)

Breakdown:

Florida: "I have high expectations for this team this year, especially our bullpen." Gonzalez mumbled after the game. Jacobs, who is hitting .176 on the season, has been working with the hitting coach on his mechanics. It is unclear how long Jacobs can continue his lack of production before being replaced. Cabrera continued his hot streak and hit homerun number 10 on the season, which is good for second best in the league.

Atlanta: Atlanta powered its way to a victory by slugging three solo homeruns. In addition, Hudson tossed seven strong innings, racking up seven strikeouts and allowing two earned runs. When asked about the slow start this season, Hudson replied, "We're starting to play as one out there and we just have to remember that it is a long season." Looking at the stats so far this season, the Braves are really struggling; they are almost last in the league in runs scored with 41.

Next Game:

Florida (9-3) at Houston (3-9)

Florida (9-3) at Houston (3-9)

"Woody Shines In The Lone Star State"

Pitching-1.jpg

Hanleyonknees.jpg

Hanley throws out a runner at first from his knees.

LeeScores.jpg

Lee avoids the tag and scores the go ahead run.

LidgeSave.jpg

Lidge is pumped up after getting his first save of the season.

Pitching:

W - W. Williams (2-1); L - S. Olsen (1-1); S - B. Lidge (1)

Scoring Update:

T1 - D. Uggla scores on M. Cabrera sacrifice fly (Fla 1-0)

B1 - L. Scott scores on C. Lee single (Tied 1-1)

B4 - C. Lee scores on M. Lamb single (Hou 2-1)

Florida 1, Houston 2 (Box Score)

Player of the Game:

C. Lee - 3 for 4, RBI (.358)

Breakdown:

Florida: Olsen struggled on the mound today. He allowed 8 hits and 2 runs over seven innings and it seemed like he was constantly pitching himself out of a jam. The Marlins have dropped two in a row and are on the longest losing streak of the season. Of course, it's early so we've got nothing to worry about!!!

Houston: Carlos Lee came through big time for Houston today. He made a perfect slide in the fourth inning to avoid the Olivo's tag at home to score the go ahead run for the Stros. In addition, Morgan Ensberg went 2-for-3 and is hitting .375 on the season. Unfortunately for the Stros, not much else is going there way.

Next Game:

A. Sanchez (2-0) v. J. Jennings (0-1)

both, I wonder if you have a intergraded card. I can't put Helmet Shadowing because it would make the uniforms invinceable(sp?).

I use a bunch of graphics upgrade programs but still no use. I dont have a widescreen moniter but my PC is a HP pavilion ze5700.

Any advice? What levels do you have your graphics set to?

Man, I would love to increase the payroll mid-dynasty. I am trying to figure it out, but not having much luck. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

What you could do is, turn budgets off, re-sign players until you've hit the 10 mil mark (or however high/low you want to go), then turn budgets back on. Your payroll will raise to what it was with budgets turned off, and you'll be left with a few hundred K in the bank.

Just don't sign any free agents with budgets turned of because you can't negotiate their contracts. Re-signing players is no problem though.

Geolink - I didn't do anything special with my card. Just installed MVP and played. I guess I got lucky with not having too many problems with graphics and game play.

DoubleD - Thanks for the tip(s). Although, UncleMo provided me with a program by Tywiggins that I believe will allow me to edit my team's payroll mid-dynasty. You said the payroll increased 10 million - what does that bring it to? I have read that Loria wanted to keep it at approximately 25 total.

Yeah, the goal this year is around 25m, last year it was ~17m. The problem is, that doesn't include minor league contracts, but in MVP it does include minor league contracts.

So since the minor league minimum is 100k in real life I believe (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), 75 players on three teams (25 man rosters), that's 7,500,000 salary in minor league system. Then add that onto 25m, so you'd want a 32.5m payroll (+ some hundred K if you wanted, since not all minors make minimum).

Archived