The Trading Thread

TwentySeven

Totte: I thought about Lowe and also thought of what you said, that the Dodgers have a lot of pitching. I have no idea what his salary is as I am currently at work. If similar, I thought of trading him to the Dodgers for Dunn with the Dodgers also giving me an OF like Kemp or Loney.

TribeFan4Eva: I agree that the Indians need a good righty bat, but who? The main power hitters in the Reds lineup are Dunn and Griffey, both lefties. I could offer Denorfia and one of my 1 million lefties in the bullpen (Cormier makes the most sense), but I doubt if the salaries will match up and that the Indians will take the deal. Any other thoughts?

I also took a look at Colorado, but the Rockies’ lineup appears to be set and trading away their second best starter doesn’t make any sense. So, I guess Cook is a no-go.

I’d love some more advice, particularly on the Lowe/Kemp for Dunn trade. I’d also solicit more ideas, even for guys that aren’t extreme groundball pitchers. In case you all can’t tell, I want this to be a realistic deal…..

Thanks!

trade for zach greinke. i did one dynasty and the som biyatch won 5 cy youngs in ten years...

I always think about him, but to me, he falls under the category of “fleecing another teamâ€. I don’t believe that the Reds have adequate young talent to return to KC and I doubt that the Royals would trade him. Nice thought though!!

I always think about him, but to me, he falls under the category of “fleecing another teamâ€. I don’t believe that the Reds have adequate young talent to return to KC and I doubt that the Royals would trade him. Nice thought though!!

yeah, i can buy that. i skipped over the part where you wanted it more realistic than not. starting pitching is the last thing the royals and dayton moore would trade - but if you need an outfielder, they have an overstock of those :D

if i think of something else, i'll throw it in hurr.

Well, I tried the Lowe deal and didn't find anything I liked.

So, I looked at the Indians and Westbrook. I ended up doing the following:

Chris Denorfia (who should be their LF)

Mike Stanton (a situational lefty that they lack as near as I can tell)

Joey Votto (a good hitting 1B prospect)

for

Westbrook

I also took on extra salary as a part of the deal, which evens it out a bit.

All of that for Westbrook? Yikes.

I think it's pretty fair really. Votto is a very good prospect, Denorfia is a fairly young (but a bit old to be a prospect) outfielder who looks like he could be either a starter or backup down the road, can't really tell at this point. Stanton is an old, pretty bad lefty with little upside. Westbrook is about to hit his prime years, signed on a decent contract, and while he is in no way a great pitcher, I think it's fairly even on both sides. Granted, Votto could be useful down the road, but Dunn should really be at first base anyways.

I was thinking Votto and Stanton would be enough, although Cleveland has a ton of people to play 1b now and down the road (Hafner, Garko, V Martinez, Aubrey, Stephen Head) that they wouldn't want Votto.

Teams tend to overpay for starting pitching, so I decided to err on that side.

Here are two respective trades that could have been accepted:

Colorado sends Aaron Cook to Cincinnati for Elizardo Ramirez, Votto, and Matt Belisle. Votto makes sense to Colorado as a possible replacement for Helton. Ramirez is a decent young pitcher and Belisle is a decent young arm that could fit in the bullpen. To me though, that wasn’t enough for the Rockies second best pitcher.

The trade I did: Denorfia is a right-handed OF that can complement the Indians’ lefties and he can play all three OF positions. Stanton gives the Indians an additional lefty in the bullpen to go with Aaron Fultz (and balances the salaries out a bit, a necessity in MVP where the budget acts like a hard cap). Votto has good upside and his PECOTA projection for ’07 is outstanding (significantly better than Garko, Aubrey, or Head). Westbrook is a pitcher in his prime signed to a very reasonable contract. His 3.38 ERA in 2004 appears to be an outlier, with his 2006 numbers closer to his real potential, a slightly above average major league starter.

(God, I feel like I am talking about a real trade and it’s just a game….oh well, that’s what makes it fun)

Archived