Windows Vista and Office 2007

fush12

been using vista ultimate for about 2 weeks now. seems to run pretty smoothly, havent had any crashing or compatibility problems. My only problem is the crappy nvidia drivers, i'm on 100.54, and madden 06 is having issues.

my computer:

pentium d 805

2gb dual channel ddr2 667mhz ram

nvidia geforce 7600gs 256mb pci-e video.

so only real dissapointment isnt ms' fault, its nvidias bad drivers.

things i like:

love the photo,video, downloads organization.

aero is pretty sharp looking

has just a more organized feel to it

things i dont like:

gaming issues (have not tried mvp yet)

30-40% idle memory use with no additional programs running

the additional security approval installing programs (but i see where it helps)

heres a screenshot (with my own photoshopped backround of 1st ave in seattle)

desktop3nu5.jpg

fill free to ask any questions

i'll post more screenshots if asked to

edit: also have office 2007 ultimate, havent played around with it much though.

So what you guys are saying is that Vista is really not that much of a upgrade. The Vista reminds me of NBA Live 07 and how they messed it up. The Vista isn`t that much different from XP and from what I have seen, Vista does not have anything special that you would really need.

I don't think so, I think it's just crap. I tried to uninstall it, and it gave me an error, and it wouldn't let me reinstall it saying that it was still on my system, hence the me hating it. Good thing I'm installing Ubuntu right now.

I guess it has compatibility issues for XP.

My dad got Office 07 from his work yesterday, and I've installed in on my computer with XP, and I haven't had any problems.

I'd just try unistalling it, then reinstalling it.

I just ordered a laptop computer w/vista, just due to the fact you can't get a computer with out vista right now, unless you spend the extra money for XP or unless you already have it. I had XP 64 bit computer and for gaming it sucked. one outa three games worked, but I don't want to scrap it, so I will have my laptop by wensday. Yay for me!!!

My dad got Office 07 from his work yesterday, and I've installed in on my computer with XP, and I haven't had any problems.

I'd just try unistalling it, then reinstalling it.

LOL, try uninstalling it?

I uninstalled it, and then I tried to reinstall it and it told me that I had to uninstall it before I could install it. I deleted all the registry values that had the word office, and still no help. Microsoft is hopeless, long live open source programs that are meant to take out Microsnot.

To use the HD-DVD feature in Vista you have to go out and buy a new DVD drive, along with the fact that if you don't have all the pieces of hardware that it "requires" (which is upwards of 12 pieces, I can't remember which off the top of my head) then it will not work period.

the Xbox 360 HD addon will work with it.

So what you guys are saying is that Vista is really not that much of a upgrade. The Vista reminds me of NBA Live 07 and how they messed it up. The Vista isn`t that much different from XP and from what I have seen, Vista does not have anything special that you would really need.
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917

Lets just say anything you ever wanted to do with a computer can be accomplished with this version of windows xp. Want to have XP professional plus MCE plus add xbox 360. It can be done. Want to burn dvds from blockbuster? Want to have software you cant afford. Want the most stable and updated version of windows xp ever? Want every driver ever invented all on one dvd?? Then this is the software for you.

Seriously. Check out the link and read thru the forum. I've been using it since nov 06 without any issues and constantly updating thru windows update ;)

Installed Vista Transformation Pack (for XP) and I am loving it. It basically did all that Vista did (change the GUI) and added games from Vista and updated some drivers. I also installed Topdesk, which is for XP also, and it does the 3D flippy thing without Vista :D All in all, I like this and think its the better solution then upgrading to Vista, which I will probably do at SP1 (or maybe when they cancel service on XP).

The biggest problem with vista is this;

I bought a new Dell dimenion 520E Dec 06, it has;

2.1 duo core pent processor,

3 g ram,

Nvidia 7700SE 256 video card,

7.1 sound blaster audio card,

Sony dvd/cd burner +_

250 g harddrive.

vista will not support the video card, sound card, or the cd/dvd burner, i'd have to buy new ones to upgrade those. better then that, the 2.0.3 bios for the mother board is not supported by vista either so i'll have to wait untill dell produces an upgrade for that. plus almost half the drivers on my computor have to be updated, (if they can be updated at all.) and oh yes, about a third of the programs i have, from 2005 to 2006, (forget the older ones), DO NOT work with vista. microsoft suggested that i go buy new programs instead lol :p. now remember i got this computor in dec 06 and it was supposted to be "vista ready". dell's tech help line currently has over a 2 hour wait time right now, as of 12:15pm sun feb 11, (bet those dell techs are having a good time right about now). I'm betting lots of people got the vista upgrade and then just installed it thinking they were ok, without reading or checking to see what wouldn't work.

Archived