WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE FLORIDA FRANCHISES?

RAM

no offense meant to anyone here, but i have to wonder out loud about something that's been driving me nuts for a long time. why in the hell did MLB award two franchises to fla. via expansion? i mean the marlins are a good team, and the rays are up and coming. yet u could could combine the home attendance of BOTH teams on any given night; and STILL not fill either teams stadium. how come noone goes to the games? i'm confused. forgive me.

old people would rather play bingo.

LOL! u know i will watch ANY MLB game, that's why i got extra innings. but ur right. i notice whenever i watch the rays it's like a seniors convention it's really freaky. what the hell, i'd give an eye to live in a MLB city again, or i guess have one come to my town.

OT: Funny...I saw True on today....and there was a few files ready to be processed...but He didn't do anything...

he probably just likes to take it easy and browse around like the rest of us sometimes. that's cool.

LOL! u know i will watch ANY MLB game, that's why i got extra innings. but ur right. i notice whenever i watch the rays it's like a seniors convention it's really freaky. what the hell, i'd give an eye to live in a MLB city again, or i guess have one come to my town.

same here, i also think that a lot of it has to do with there being a lot of transplants in Florida. I would say there are a lot of fans of other teams there.

yeah probably so. but it just doesn't make business sense (for MLB) to me. i mean besides the initial fees (which must be huge) paid to MLB to procure the franchise; wouldn't it be a total loss in the long run? i mean the friggin marlins just won a legit title (i still don't count their first as legit)

and still.... empty. i mean it takes a lot of beggin and brown nosin' to convince a league that they can handle a team, how the f&^% did they convince the league that they could support not only 1 BUT 2 TEAMS? sorry i'm getting emotional! forgive me guys.

pro Player Stadium this year has had its attendance around 20,000 to 45,000(several days including opening day). but before we won the world series last year, the stadium was preatty much deserted(now the average for every day is 20,000 or around). also its been raining a lot here in Miami latly so that might answer why some aint buying tickets

I dont pay any or much attention to the rays, and they got some boring commentators for TV.

I live south of St. Pete,so I've been to a couple Rays games, the Rays are my 2nd favorite team, They have a nice stadium considering the fact that it's a dome......... Once the Rays get some more money from their owners, they will become stronger and not be the easiest team to beat.....I really don't understand why they have a open stadium for the Marlins......It rains here every other day and it's very humid here.......At least in a dome you can cool off from the hot,humid,rainy Florida air......

They WOULD build a stadium with a roof. But without fans there's no $$$, hence no stadium.

i don't wish it on u guys, but what's the rumor mill around there regarding losing the teams. ESPECIALLY tampa?

side note- remember when it was rumored that the giants were going to relocate to tampa? thank god!

I live south of St. Pete,so I've been to a couple Rays games, the Rays are my 2nd favorite team, They have a nice stadium considering the fact that it's a dome......... Once the Rays get some more money from their owners, they will become stronger and not be the easiest team to beat.....I really don't understand why they have a open stadium for the Marlins......It rains here every other day and it's very humid here.......At least in a dome you can cool off from the hot,humid,rainy Florida air......

Marlins share Pro Player with the Dolphins, and they will be getting a new stadium, but due to budget limitations it'll be open

pro Player Stadium this year has had its attendance around 20,000 to 45,000(several days including opening day). but before we won the world series last year, the stadium was preatty much deserted(now the average for every day is 20,000 or around). also its been raining a lot here in Miami latly so that might answer why some aint buying tickets.I dont pay any or much attention to the rays, and they got some boring commentators for TV.

What it says is true because i have season tickets for the Marlins and since opening day the lowest attendance was 23,000 and that was a rainy day(rained all say) and the highest was the stadium's maximum capacity which is like 46,000. Always when the Marlins play the Phils there's at leas 35,000 on hand. So Rambully go to Marlins game and see for yourself!!!

Here's another thing why Pro player looks "empty"

the real capacity of the stadium is around 60 or 70 thousand.

the Marlins only have 45,000 for some of the outfield are offlimit, so when you look at the outfield its the least with people(mostly the upper decks

i live in ft myers, which is about 1 1/2 hours south of tampa, and i've been to 1 game and that was a few weeks ago when they played they yankees. it will be a while before i see another game there. one reason is parking there sucks. as for why fans dont go to the games, anyone that is really a marlins fan or d-rays fan hasn't been a fan for that long and have very little to cheer about. unless you're a marlins fan. florida is more of a football state anyway. i also agree with the notion that a lot of baseball fans here are transpsplants from other places. like me. i've lived here about 11 years. another thing, the d-rays television announcers are terrible.

. Always when the Marlins play the Phils there's at leas 35,000 on hand. So Rambully go to Marlins game and see for yourself!!!

i'd love to go see them one day! i'd actually like to visit every park dreaming i guess. for me the nearest park is minutemaid in houston and arlington (oops ameriquest). usually every year i will make a trip up to houston a couple times usually when the giants roll in and then maybe to see a team i've never seen in person before. i usually drive up to arlington the same amount. unfortunately this year was the first in like 10 that i haven't been able to go at all for schedule and $$$ reasons.sucks. minutmaid has the better seating setup of the two tx parks any seat is good. however; arlington is simply beautiful- but the seats are not as "user friendly".

u are right i keep forgetting that the marlins play in a football stadium, which i suppose is a decent reason, but i think the rays are an exciting team. i guess i'm jealous especially when i see an empty ballfield. there was rumor that POSSIBLY the expos had a small chance to come here to s.antonio, and i would greet them w/ open arms. unfortunately this is a one horse town and all the talk here is about basketball. which BTW i cannot stand the sport. heck here on local news and radio they don't even go over the full MLB scoreboard, just the stros and rangers and the missions. on the local radio sports affiliate ur lucky to hear the local guys talk baseball once a week. sickening. thank god for extra innings and espn.

Archived