Perfect Catch . . . A Florida Marlins Dynasty (v.2)

oxbay

Should the Marlins trade Dontrelle Willis before the deadline?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Florida Marlins (50-24) v. Tampa Bay Devil Rays (31-42)

Game 75 of 162

"OLSEN DOMINANT AS MARLINS DROP IN-STATE RIVALS"

FLAWin.jpg

Score75.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA75.jpg

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS

TB75.jpg

Game Highlights

Cabrera-JacobsHR.jpg

Back-to-Back: Miguel Cabrera and Mike Jacobs flex their muscle with solo shots in the 6th inning.

CrawfordandRamirez.jpg

LEFT - Carl Crawford swipes his 17th base of the season. RIGHT - Hanley Ramirez doing what he does best: Turning a double play.

BaldelliFight.jpg

A frustrated Rocco Baldelli gets hit with a slider and then charges the mound before being ejected in the 6th inning.

Player of the Game:

ScottOlsenPic.jpg

S. Olsen (7-3) -- 8.0 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 K (2.22 ERA)

Around the League:

METS GET THEIR MAN IN HAREN

June 24, 2007

Mets Get: HarenPic.jpg

A's Get: MillegePic.jpgHeilmanPic.jpgSolerPic.jpg

Minaya and Beane finally come to terms after months of speculation. But it seems as though the Mets (36-38) and the A's (33-41) are in the planning stages for 2008 as they are out of the playoff race.

"[Haren] is a guy who can do wonders in New York and lead us back to the World Series," Minaya said. Haren is currently 8-3 with a 2.81 ERA (76 strikeouts and 33 walks). Adding to his impressive stats thus far, 4 of Haren's 8 wins have come by way of complete games. Haren, making 2.2 million for 2007, is scheduled to make 4 million in 2008 and 5.5 million in 2009. The Mets will have the option to keep him in 2010 for 6.75 million or buy him out for 250,000.

Millege is a guy that Beane has been after for some time and has finally acquired him. Given his age, performance, and tools, Milledge projects as a superstar player, capable of hitting .300 or higher with lots of power and good speed. His OBP may be a problem early, and he has a lot of work to do in the plate discipline department. He also doesn't project to hit many homers. On the other hand, Milledge projects to be an excellent defensive player.

Heilman is mature and focused. He works off his 91-94 mph fastball, which has incredible movement and bores in on righthanders. He also features a plus slider with excellent downward action, along with a decent changeup and splitter. During a phone interview, Beane stated, "Heilman has all the makings of a potential workhorse who could be a solid No. 2 or No. 3 starter in the A's rotation."

Soler has two plus pitches, a 91-94 mph fastball and a low-80s slider with exceptional depth. It is rumored that Beane has had his eye on Soler since his days in Cuba where he helped them win the 2002 World University Games.

-- New York Times

Next Series:

NextSeries-2.jpg

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida Marlins (51-24) v. Atlanta Braves (36-38)

Game 76 of 162

"BRAVES TAKE GAME 1 BEHIND STRONG PITCHING AND DEFENSE"

BravesWin.jpg

Score76.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA76.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

ATL76.jpg

Game Highlights

OlivoandRamirez.jpg

LEFT - Miguel Olivo makes a diving tag to prevent the Willie Aybar from scoring. RIGHT - Hanley Ramirez gets a great jump from first as as swipes one of two bags on the day.

AybarandMcCann.jpg

LEFT - Willie Aybar racks up 3 RBIs in the fourth inning with a bases loaded double. RIGHT - Brian McCann adds an insurance run in the fifth inning with his 10th homerun.

FrancourandJames.jpg

LEFT - Jeff Francoeur forces Sanchez to a full count before drawing a walk. RIGHT - Atlanta pitcher Chuck James hangs his head after giving up a monster 3-run homerun to Olivo in the seventh.

Player of the Game:

WillieAybarPic.jpg

W. Aybar -- 1-for-3, 2B(19), 3 RBI(29) (.302)

Around the League:

TRIBE INK WESTBROOK TO THREE YEAR EXTENSION

June 25, 2007

JakeWestbrookPic.jpg

Reliability and professionalism paid off huge for right-hander Jake Westbrook.

The Indians signed Westbrook, who has at least 14 victories and 210 2/3 innings pitched each of the past three seasons, to a three-year contract extension worth an estimated $33 million late Friday night.

Westbrook, 29, who was eligible to become a free agent after this season, is making $6.1 million in the last year of his deal.

"It was very tempting to test the market, but it came down to comfort," he said. "My wife [Heather] and I talked a lot, and we feel very comfortable in Cleveland."

"Jake didn't get exactly what he wanted, and we didn't get exactly what we wanted," General Manager Mark Shapiro said. "But in the end, we both got what we wanted - for Jake to stay in Cleveland."

In 2004, Westbrook's first as a full-time starter in the majors, he went 14-9 with a 3.38 ERA in 215 2/3 innings for the Indians. He was 15-15, 4.49, in 210 2/3 innings in 2005 and 15-10, 4.17, in 211 1/3 innings last season.

-- Plain Dealer

Florida Marlins (51-25) v. Atlanta Braves (37-38)

Game 77 of 162

"HANLEY'S BREAKOUT POWERS FISH TO WIN, EVENS SERIES AT ONE"

Score77.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA77.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

ATL77.jpg

Game Highlights

Robbing.jpg

LEFT - Jeff Francoeur climbs the wall to pull back a homerun from Miguel Cabrera. RIGHT - Josh Willingham answers by robbing Francoeur of a homerun.

JacobsandNolasco.jpg

LEFT - Mike Jacobs extends his 6'2" frame to snag a line drive. RIGHT - Ricky Nolasco is forced to leave the game after being hit in the head with a line drive back up the middle.

HanleyandFranceour.jpg

LEFT - Hanley Ramirez connects for one of his two homeruns on the day. RIGHT - Jeff Francoeur comes up throwing to nail Willingham at the plate.

Player of the Game:

HanleyPic.jpg

H. Ramirez -- 3-for-5, 2 HR(9), 5 RBI (27) (.268)

Team News:

Ricky Nolasco's medical examination has revealed that he has suffered a concussion when he was hit in the head during today's game. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Nolasco is likely to miss his next start but cannot determine anything further without talking to Nolasco and the medical staff. As of right now, Gonzalez plans to start either Sergio Mitre or Renyel Pinto in Nolasco's place.

Around the League:

TWINS, SANTANA OFF TO ROCKY START TO NEGOTIATIONS

June 26, 2007

SantanaPic.jpg

The Twins recently offered Johan Santana a two-year extension for $36MM plus a club option for 2011. You have to start somewhere with negotiations, but the Twins could essentially double their offer and it would still be well below market value.

John Heyman, of www.SI.com, mentions that Santana has informed the Twins that he won't negotiate again until he hits the open market after the 2008 season. Maybe Santana made that assertion because he felt insulted by the team's lowball offer.

If the Twins are that far apart from an extension with Santana, they might want to consider trading him sometime between now and July 31st, 2008. Don't forget, however, that Santana has a full no-trade clause this year and a good shot at one for '08.

Some have suggested that Santana will become baseball's first $200MM pitcher; clearly a deal won't get done with less than $100MM being committed. People keep reporting that Santana will become a free agent at age 29, which is technically true, but he will be 30 on Opening Day 2009. .

-- Star Tribune

Florida Marlins (52-25) v. Atlanta Braves (37-39)

Game 78 of 162

"REED'S FIRST HOMERUN LIFTS MARLINS OVER BRAVES"

Score78.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA78.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

ATL78.jpg

Game Highlights

JacobsandOlivo.jpg

LEFT - Mike Jacobs is charged with an error as the throw from Randy Messenger gets by him at first. RIGHT - Miguel Olivo uses his body to prevent a pitch from getting past him.

JonesandSmoltzD.jpg

LEFT - Chipper Jones makes a diving stop down the line at third and nails Olivo at first. RIGHT - John Smoltz shows off his range off the mound despite his age.

JonesandReedHR.jpg

LEFT - Andruw Jones puts the Braves on top with a solo shot in the seventh. RIGHT - Eric Reed's first homerun of the season powers the Marlins to a 2-1 victory.

Player of the Game:

EricReedPic.jpg

E. Reed -- 1-for-3, HR(1), 2 RBI(5) (.333)

Around the League:

FREEL GETS 2 YEAR, 7 MILLION EXTENSION

June 27, 2007

FreelPic.jpg

Ryan Freel has always said he was willing to play for the major league minimum.

So you can guess how happy he was today when the Reds rewarded him with a two-year, $7 million contract extension.

The contract pays Freel $3 million in 2008 and $4 million for 2009.

"I'm very happy to be where I'm at," he said. "I couldn't be in a better organization. I've said it from Day 1. I want to end my career here. This is another step closer to that. It's a dream come true."

Freel, 31, came to the Reds as a minor free agent in 2003. His style earned him the love of the fans. His ability to play several positions earned him a full-time spot in the majors, and ultimately the starting center fielder job.

"I will still play the game the way it's supposed to be played," he said "That's what people expect. They don't expect much."

Reds manager Jerry Narron hope Freel's style catches on.

"I hear from people all the time saying they love the way Ryan Freel plays," he said. "I'm tired of that. I want to say they love the way the Cincinnati Reds play."

-- Cincinnati Enquirer

Nice dynasty oxbay! I hope you get the Willis deal done.

- Although I get the feeling that no one is following the Marlins ... Cause nobody is in the stands - jk! Just curious, is there a reason for that?

Hey, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like my dynasty. With regards to the crowds being off, it was something I noted from sfgiantsflgators in his dynasty and thought I would try to improve my own performance, which seems to be working thus far.

I love this dynasty, keep up the great job.

Thanks D-Unit, I appreciate your support!!!

What overlay are you using cause it see it an a lot of people's

I believe it is called the Custom Overlay by Trues (I do know it is Trues, just don't recall the exact name at the moment).

I dont like that overlay cause its on the screen like all the time which gets annoying after a while.

I can definitely see how some people would get annoyed having it constantly on the screen, but for me it doesn't bother me much.

Florida Marlins (53-25) v. Atlanta Braves (37-40)

Game 79 of 162

"MARLINS LOSE JOHNSON, OVERPOWER DAVIES LATE FOR WIN"

Score79.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA79.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

ATL79.jpg

Game Highlights

HermidaandFrancoeur.jpg

LEFT - Jeremy Hermida shatters his bat on an inside fastball. RIGHT - Left fielder Matt Diaz misplays a ball as he approached the wall.

JacobsandBorchard.jpg

LEFT - Mike Jacobs starts a seventh inning rally by scoring on an Eric Reed single. RIGHT - Craig Wilson commits a throwing error when he overthrows Edgar Renteria at second base.

CoxandDiaz.jpg

LEFT - Bobby Cox goes out to the mound to see if Davies has anything left in the tank. RIGHT - Miguel Olivo's homerun is nearly brought back by Matt Diaz in the eighth inning.

Player of the Game:

KevinGreggPic.jpg

K. Gregg -- 2.0 IP, H, K (1.93 ERA)

Team News:

SP Josh Johnson was pulled from today's game after sliding hard into second base and came up limping. "It was more of a precautionary thing than anything," Johnson said after the game. It is unsure if he will skip his next start, but Manager Fredi Gonzalez would rather sit Johnson for a start than push him and risk further injury.

Around the League:

Injuries:

Mark DeRosa (CHC) - Will miss approximately seven to ten days due to a minor ankle sprain.

Yhency Brazoban (LAD) - Listed as day-to-day and will undergo an MRI on his throwing shoulder.

Rumors:

PIAZZA BACK TO NEW YORK IN 2008?

June 28, 2007

PiazzaPic.jpg

Mike Piazza is enjoying life in the American League, having early success as the A's designated hitter after spending the previous 15 years behind the plate in the National League.

Piazza is having so much fun, in fact, that he wouldn't rule out the possibility of suiting up in Yankee pinstripes before his career is over.

"I'll never say never," Piazza said. "This game is so interestingly unpredictable."

Piazza still has an apartment in New York, where he played with the Mets from 1998-2005. Piazza called his experience in Flushing "unforgettable," citing the energy, intensity and even the media coverage, although he admitted that it did get "emotionally draining" at times.

"When you're winning there, there's no better place to win," Piazza said. "When you're losing there, it's the worst place to be. You have to sort of embrace it. I was fortunate to come from another city and eventually be taken in - but not without some adversity."

Piazza, who was hitting .341 entering last night's game, still follows the Mets "a little bit," and is impressed with what his former team is doing in the NL.

"Offensively, they're a juggernaut," Piazza said. "They have so many weapons; speed, power, quality hitters stacked up and down. You can run into a tough pitcher now and then, but when you have that kind of offense, you're going to be able to score runs."

-- Oakland Tribune

Next Series:

NextSeries-3.jpg

Still looking good sir. Any plans on updating how the All-Star vote is going (unless you already did and I somehow missed it)?

Thanks for stopping by my good man (and unfortunate Gints fan), I appreciate it. I had actually forgot about the All-Star voting until I started preparing my "monthly" report - two games left in June. I plan on putting the voting with my monthly stuff.

Haven't been here in a while, but still looking good oxbay.

As for Willis, well, you're running away with the division so i'd say keep him unless someone blows you away. I'd have to believe he'll right himself sometime.

Haven't been here in a while, but still looking good oxbay.

As for Willis, well, you're running away with the division so i'd say keep him unless someone blows you away. I'd have to believe he'll right himself sometime.

Hey, kjb, thanks for stopping back by. As for Willis, I definitely like the way you're thinking. On the other hand, I was thinking of dumping him b/c of the pitching I have lined up (or coming up in the minors) that I think I could get by without him; plus, I think it would suit the Marlins well if I brought in a CF (Rios or Kemp) and another young starting (Billingsley or Marcum / McGowan). I'm still toying with ideas though...

You have to get Jacobs out of that 4 spot man. Batting only .232 and not really putting up great power numbers either.

Hey Pokeys, you're right. But, I like the idea of the left handed bat in the middle of the lineup to break up the righties [plus he has 90 power and 70 contact against righties]

I was thinking of making a trade, using Petit, to bring in another left handed 1B, but I have nothing coming to mind....

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (31-47) v. Florida Marlins (54-25)

Game 80 of 162

"MARLINS CONTINUE DOMINANCE OVER IN-STATE RIVAL WITH 2-1 WIN"

Score80.jpg

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS

TB80.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA80.jpg

Game Highlights

ReedandCabrera.jpg

LEFT - Eric Reed pulls up at third with a stand-up triple. RIGHT - Seth McClung picks off Miguel Cabrera at first.

Navaro2B.jpg

Dioner Navarro went 2-for-3 on the day with two doubles and Tampa Bay's only RBI.

UgglaandBowyer.jpg

LEFT - Dan Uggla knocks in the go ahead run with this RBI single in the bottom of the 8th inning. RIGHT - Travis Bowyer celebrates on the mound after record his 21st save of the season.

Player of the Game:

AkinoriImawuraPic.jpg

A. Imawura -- 4-for-4, 2 2B(19) (.332)

Around the League:

Signings:

SEATTLE TAGS LOPEZ FOR FOUR MORE YEARS

June 29, 2007

JoseLopezPic.jpg

As a promising young second baseman on a rebuilding Mariners' squad, Jose Lopez didn't figure to be going elsewhere in the next four years anyway. But general manager Bill Bavasi made certain the All-Star infielder won't be going to salary arbitration either when the two sides signed a new four-year contract Wednesday.

Terms of Lopez's deal weren't released, but the pact eliminates his need to negotiate annual contracts through 2010. The Mariners hold a club option on 2011 as well. Lopez, 23, will become a free agent in 2012, as scheduled, when he hits his seventh season in the major leagues.

The Mariners negotiated a similar deal with shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt two weeks ago, though in that case the team has the option to buy out Betancourt's first year of free agency in 2012.

Seattle thus has its middle infield locked up for at least four years with two promising young players who emerged from its own minor league system.

"When we got here for the '04 season, it was not a tremendously stocked minor league system," Bavasi said. "But with Felix (Hernandez) and this young guy, and then adding Betancourt at the end of that year, we saw some special guys out there."

-- Seattle Times

Hey, kjb, thanks for stopping back by. As for Willis, I definitely like the way you're thinking. On the other hand, I was thinking of dumping him b/c of the pitching I have lined up (or coming up in the minors) that I think I could get by without him; plus, I think it would suit the Marlins well if I brought in a CF (Rios or Kemp) and another young starting (Billingsley or Marcum / McGowan). I'm still toying with ideas though...

I like your idea of trading Willis for a CF and young pitching. I think you could still win the division without him.

I like your idea of trading Willis for a CF and young pitching. I think you could still win the division without him.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Another aspect I was looking at was the ability to resign both Willis and Cabrera. If I deal Willis, I'll get cheap players in return and open up the salary room to sign Cabrera longterm.

Hey Oxbay i have been following ur dynasty from the start so i thought id drop in and leave some good words. As for ur team ur doin a great job and i think u can win it all, ur managing the team well and i think ur trade strategies are great. I like ur idea of looking for a cf and some pitching for Willis . I had an idea for u so here goes. I know James Loney isnt an outfielder but his scond position is outfield and he has a strong arm ontop of that when i play mvp hes always on the tradeing block so maybe he could be an option. So keep up the great work man ill be watching.

Hey Oxbay i have been following ur dynasty from the start so i thought id drop in and leave some good words. As for ur team ur doin a great job and i think u can win it all, ur managing the team well and i think ur trade strategies are great. I like ur idea of looking for a cf and some pitching for Willis . I had an idea for u so here goes. I know James Loney isnt an outfielder but his scond position is outfield and he has a strong arm ontop of that when i play mvp hes always on the tradeing block so maybe he could be an option. So keep up the great work man ill be watching.

Thanks for stoppying by abless. Glad you're enjoy my dynasty and thanks for the suggestion. However, moving Loney to the outfield wouldn't do me any good as he'd be more of a LF/RF type player, not center. With that in mind, I don't think I'd move Willingham or Hermida.

On another note, I sure wouldn't mind having Loney at first. :player:

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (31-48) v. Florida Marlins (55-25)

Game 81 of 162

"JUNES ENDS WITH FASHION: HANLEY SLAMS 2-RUN WALKOFF HOMERUN"

Win.jpg

Score81.jpg

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS

TB81.jpg

FLORIDA MARLINS

FLA81.jpg

Game Highlights

BooneandKazmir.jpg

LEFT - Aaron Boone provides an early spark with a solo homerun in the second. RIGHT - Scott Kazmir elected to stay in the game after being hit in the leg by Hermida’s shot back up the middle.

KazmirandSanchez.jpg

LEFT - Scott Kazmir struck out eight Marlins over seven innings. RIGHT – Anibal Sanchez takes out Jorge Cantu with a hard slide at second.

HanleyHR.jpg

Hanley Ramirez slugs the Marlins to victory with a 2-run walkoff homerun in the 12th.

Player of the Game:

AnibalSanchezPic.jpg

A. Sanchez – 8.0 IP, 4 H, ER, K (2.54 ERA)

Around the League:

BRAVES, COX AGREE TO MAKE 1 MORE RUN AT A CHAMPIONSHIP

June 29, 2007

BobbyCoxPic.jpg

Bobby Cox has signed what may be his last contract to manage the Atlanta Braves — a one-year extension through the 2008 season.

The extension was announced by the team Wednesday.

Cox said before the season he plans to manage only two more years, but he said Wednesday that plan could change.

"As long as the players can put up with me, and the organization wants me, fine," Cox said. "I don't know; we'll see. When I was asked that question in spring training, I was good for '07, '08. We'll see."

Cox, who turns 66 in May, has managed the Braves since midway through the 1990 season. The following year, he guided Atlanta from worst to first to launch an unprecedented streak of 14 straight division titles.

"No one is more deserving of this than Bobby Cox, and we are very pleased to extend his contract through 2008," said Braves general manager John Schuerholz. "We feel that Bobby is the best manager in the game, and his place in baseball history is well-secured. His leadership has helped the Braves to set a very high standard of excellence."

—Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Archived