New York Nation: A 2007 Yankees Dynasty

TwentySeven

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 1 of Series: Devil Rays vs. Yankees

Yankees Bats, Ace Arm Dominate in Victory

[align=center]untitled1na6.png

New York, NY: The Yankee bats were quite alive today against Scott Kazmir, though it didn't really matter the way ace Chien-Ming Wang was pitching. The game started following an emotional pregame ceremony honoring Thurman Munson and Cory Lidle, both of whom died in tragic plane crashes. Lidle passed away just days after the Yankees were eliminated from the postseason.

In the first inning, Derek Jeter lead the Yankees offense with a single to extend an eleven-game hitting streak started in the end of 2006. The Yankees did not score until Alex Rodriguez opened the floodgates with a home run to lead off the fourth inning. Rays starter Scott Kazmir could not get out of the inning, and manager Joe Maddon ended up pulling him from the game. The Yankees struck again in the eighth inning on RBI singles from Derek Jeter and Bobby Abreu, and at that point the game was over. While the Yankees had a ninth inning scare when Chien-Ming Wang gave up a single and a double, Wang worked out of the jam and showed the crowd exactly why Joe Torre gave him the opening day start.

Player of the Game

7502.jpg

Chien-Ming Wang: 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, CG, Win

Click For Full Boxscore
Next Up: Tampa Bay at New York

[/align]

Yankees Mailbag - April 2

Your questions answered by Yankees beat writer TwentySeven

What role will Melky have this year? Will he start? If so, in which OF position, and at who's expense?

-ro290190

From all we have heard from Joe Torre and Brian Cashman, it seems as if Melky will be taking a large portion of pinch hit at-bats, and will be a late inning defensive substitute for Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon, and Bobby Abreu. He will be used to spell them often, and the Yankees hope that through various methods such as this they will be able to get Melky up to 400 at-bats this season.

What are Brian Cashman's overall plans for the minor leagues?

-MarkB

I believe that Brian Cashman is on a direction where he doesn't have to lose as many draft picks or trade away as many minor leaguers. He is trying to sign players who weren't offered arbitration, such as the likes of Kei Igawa and Andy Pettitte, and this should help shore up the system by means of more draft picks. In the upcoming draft, Cashman will likely go after lefty pitching and bats, and will probably cross his fingers and hope for a catcher prospect.

In this way, Cashman is trying to keep the major league talent level the same while improving the minor leagues.

Everyone knows that Carl Pavano was a waste of money for the Yankees and there are rumors of trading him to other team, if he doesn't get traded will Brian Cashman use him as a Long Relief pitcher or will he be pitcher number 5 in the rotation moving Igawa to the bullpen?

-HFLR

At this point, there are enough spots in the rotation for Pavano and Igawa to stay in the same rotation. However, if the Yankees were to sign Roger Clemens and were unable to deal Pavano, it is likely that Igawa would be moved to the bullpen because the Yankees want left-handed relief pitchers anyways.

Good questions, guys! This has been fun for me so far, hope it's the same way for you guys. Also, when writing the questions, please remember that I am not answering as Brian Cashman, I am answering as a beat writer for the Yankees.

Nice. I like your style of doing things.

Question for your mailbag: How do you think the Yankees will fare against their tough division rivals; the Boston Red Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays. These two teams have potent lineups and the Blue Jays have a deep rotation.

Come on! 7-0? Take it off easy man!

Just foolin with ya, man! :D

Lol, it's on All-Star. I think when you play against the freaking Devil Rays and you are the Yankees, the wins come pretty easily. :)

I'm just going to get some data, and then I will post some other stuff I forgot to post, like game results from other teams in the division. That was something I wanted to do, but forgot.

Around the League: April 2, 2007

Divisional Game Results

Toronto Blue Jays @ Detroit Tigers

Toronto 5, Detroit 3

Boston Red Sox @ Kansas City Royals

Boston 7, Kansas City 5

Baltimore Orioles @ Minnesota Twins

Baltimore 5, Minnesota 3

Minor League Game Results

--

Injury/Signing/Trade News

RHP Matt Guerrier (Minn) injured with inflamed left shoulder; team reports that he will likely be out 2-3 weeks; Listed as day-to-day.

Around the League: April 3, 2007

Divisional Game Results

Baltimore 9, Minnesota 10

--

--

Nice job on the first game, but you forgot to add Hank Bauer to the pre-game memorials. :) Looking good though!

Thanks, and you are right, I forgot to give him a memorial. Sorry guys, my bad :(

How about every couple games you show the Division and League standings as well? that'd be really cool.

I was actually planning on doing that something like every couple of series - 2 series and then I would post the division standings and things like league leaders in various stats and team leaders in various stats. You will see when I get to it.

I was actually planning on doing that something like every couple of series - 2 series and then I would post the division standings and things like league leaders in various stats and team leaders in various stats. You will see when I get to it.

My Bad. Sorry. :binkybaby:

Do you think you can add a more detailed box score....maybe the lineups and rosters too?

Other than that, good dynasty.

Mailbag question:

Who takes on the role of fifth outfielder for the Yankees? Miguel Cairo seems to be the only other person on the roster than Cabrera who can handle the outfield. Will Cairo be used in the OF on occasion or will he strictly be used in the infield?

My Bad. Sorry. :binkybaby:

No, it's cool. :)

Do you think you can add a more detailed box score....maybe the lineups and rosters too?

Other than that, good dynasty.

What do you mean by "more detailed"?

And I would add things like lineups and rosters, the problem is that MVPsavreader doesn't seem to work with the latest U.R., which is quite unfortunate. If we can get it working, I will add those. I could probably do all the work to get the rosters and stuff myself, but it takes freaking forever, I don't know the CSS required, and I have tried doing stuff like that in the past, and after a while it gets old.

Alright guys, I'm just going to take a shower, maybe read the newspaper, and then I'll start the next game.

No, it's cool. :)

What do you mean by "more detailed"?

And I would add things like lineups and rosters, the problem is that MVPsavreader doesn't seem to work with the latest U.R., which is quite unfortunate. If we can get it working, I will add those. I could probably do all the work to get the rosters and stuff myself, but it takes freaking forever, I don't know the CSS required, and I have tried doing stuff like that in the past, and after a while it gets old.

Alright guys, I'm just going to take a shower, maybe read the newspaper, and then I'll start the next game.

I meant more detailed as in the lineups and stats with the SavReader. I'll have to remember UR doesn't work with the SavReader if I ever decide to start a dynasty.

Can't wait to see the next mailbag!

Game 2 of Series: Devil Rays at Yankees

Yankees Win Wild One On A-Rod Walk-Off!

[align=center]gameam8.png

New York, NY: The crowd was worried that there wouldn't even be a game with the rain that was coming down before the game. But there was no reason to be worried as the Yankees and Devil Rays played quite a game. The starters both had rough outings, and the two teams were evenly matched right to the end. In the third inning, Derek Jeter doubled to extend his hit streak started in 2006 from twelve to thirteen games. Joe Torre ended Andy Pettitte's night when Pettitte could not get out of the sixth inning. In his first inning of work as a Yankee, reliever Luis Vizcaino allowed a fielders choice and Delmon Young was caught stealing second base. In the seventh inning, up by a run, Joe Torre brought in reliever Scott Proctor who promptly surrendered the tying run. It was the last run the stingy Yankees bullpen would give, with Kyle Farnsworth and Mariano Rivera throwing four innings and striking out seven batters combined. The Devil Rays were not so lucky as Rocco Baldelli strained his right forearm on a diving catch in the seventh inning; He was placed on the fifteen day disabled list.

But the real action did not begin until the ninth inning when the Yankees brought in shutdown closer Mariano Rivera. "Mo" promptly mowed down the competition, which set up a scenario in the eleventh that would have excited any baseball fan. With two outs, Bobby Abreu doubled, bringing out the much criticized Alex Rodriguez. A-Rod was booed all through 2006 for being a choker in clutch situations, but this time all he would get were cheers as he hit a two-run walk-off home run.

--

Player of the Game

5400.jpg

Mariano Rivera: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 SO, Win

--

Click For Full Boxscore

--

Next Up: Tampa Bay at New York

[/align]

--

Around the League: April 4, 2007

Divisional Game Results

Toronto Blue Jays @ Detroit Tigers

Toronto 4, Detroit 6

Boston Red Sox @ Kansas City Royals

Boston 5, Kansas City 7

Baltimore 3, Minnesota 4

--

--RHP John Lackey suspended five games (1 start) for fighting, hitting a batter with a pitch after a warning was issued by an umpire.

--CF Rocco Baldelli strained his right forearm on a diving catch and will be out for 2-3 weeks. He was placed on 15-day DL, and Carlos Pena was called up.

--Detroit signed INF Edgardo Alfonzo to a 3 year deal worth $3.7M per year. Alfonzo will likely be the utility infielder for the club.

--Houston signed OF Bernie Williams to a 1 year deal worth $2.2M. Williams, a longtime Yankees fixture, will be a backup outfielder for the club.

Archived