New York Nation: A 2007 Yankees Dynasty

TwentySeven

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen it TwentySeven! Is there a reason why the Yankees never signed him?

I'll take that as a mailbag question. :)

I think that from this point on, I will have a mailbag every series, unless I don't get enough questions. Just so you guys can know when you can expect the mailbags to come.

According to the schedule on Yankees.com, we play the Sox on April 20-22, 27-29, May 21-23, June 1-3, July 28-30, and September 14-16. I know that the schedule I downloaded before wasn't entirely correct and a few days are off here and there, but for the most part my in-game schedule is correct. That help you guys?

I can't just play the games whenever I want, I'm playing by the schedule.

When can we expect the results from the next game?

I'm trying for later today. I have yet to play it, and if I can't get it out today it will be late tomorrow. I will have work tomorrow, unfortunately, so if I can't get it today it might not even be done till Tuesday.

I'll get on it right now :)

And remember, send in those mailbag questions!

BTW, where are the minor league games?

You must be playing all 4...mustn't you? :o

Well so far there haven't been any minor league games on the schedule, but I'll be simming the games anyways. I will post updates on players though.

Going out to dinner. The game will be posted later though.

Computer crashed again, I'll sim this one and reboot, because I'm not doing Mike Mussina vs. Jae Seo for a third time. I'll post the box score though.

Game 3 of Series: Devil Rays at Yankees

Grr! I hate random computer crashes!

[align=center]

Co-Players of the Game

5406.jpg

Derek Jeter: 3-for-4, 1 BB, 2 R, 1 2B, CS, extended hit streak to fourteen games.

5386.jpg

Jason Giambi: 4-for-5, 5 RBI, 2 R, 2 HR

--

Click For Full Boxscore

--

Next Up: Baltimore at New York

[/align]

--

Around the League: April 5, 2007

Divisional Game Results

Toronto Blue Jays @ Detroit Tigers

Toronto 5, Detroit 8

Boston Red Sox @ Kansas City Royals

Boston 6, Kansas City 7

Minor League Game Results

Tampa Yankees @ Lakeland Tigers

Tampa 3, Lakeland 2

Erie Sea Wolves @ Trenton Thunder

Erie 5, Trenton 3

Scranton-Wilkes Barres Yankees @ Ottawa Lynx

Scranton-Wilkes 4, Ottawa 5

Injury/Signing/Trade News

--Cole Hamels injured with an inflamed left shoulder; Listed as day-to-day, likely to miss one start.

--Washington signed 2B/IF Ronnie Belliard to a 3 year, $3.8M per year contract. He will likely start at second base for the Nationals. Belliard is known to be a slick fielder, and for a second baseman can hit pretty well.

Team Notes and Quotes

--Yankees manager Joe Torre said that Mariano Rivera will not be available for the opener against Baltimore.

Yankees Mailbag - April 5

Your questions answered by Yankees beat writer TwentySeven

How do you think the Yankees will fare against their tough division rivals: the Boston Red Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays. These two teams have potent lineups and the Blue Jays have a deep rotation.

-apridham

I think that the Yankees can hold their own with either of those teams. Both teams have suspect pitching (beyond Halladay, and maybe Burnett, the Jays don't have the greatest pitching), although the Yankees also have suspect pitching. However, the Yankees lineup is so much better then the other two that if you consider the pitching roughly the same, the Yankees obviously have the advantage.

Who takes on the role of fifth outfielder for the Yankees? Miguel Cairo seems to be the only other person on the roster than Cabrera who can handle the outfield. Will Cairo be used in the OF on occasion or will he strictly be used in the infield?

-Cubsfaninfla

At this point the Yankees don't really need a fifth outfielder too much - Matsui is a good bet to play 162 games, he's something of an ironman, and Melky Cabrera is young. Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon are both very durable players, and the Yankees aren't worried too much about the outfield. If a crisis occurs, they can put Cairo in the outfield, and if needed, Kevin Thompson and Kevin Reese are both available talent the Yankees are willing to have riding the bench.

The Yankees are much more worried about their infield. Miguel Cairo, Andy Phillips, Todd Pratt, and whoever is riding the bench from the Mientkiewicz/Phelps platoon is not exactly the most formidable bench. The Yankees are trying to get at the least a replacement for Pratt, because while Pratt may have been a solid backup catcher in the past, he is already quite old.

Is there a reason why the Yankees did not resign Bernie Williams?

-apridham

Well, if you see that question above about the outfielders, that can give you some idea of why Bernie was not brought back. Obviously, he's still a decent hitter even at age 38, but the Yankees felt that there were better cheaper options who could also play defense and pinch run. If there were room, and a need to bring Bernie back, the Yankees would have pounced on such a chance, but Bernie was all but happy to take a job as an Astro, so it looks like it all worked out for everyone.

Will you be simming very many games in this dynasty?

-people after my last game, probably

No, I am trying to play as many games as possible. However, when my computer crashes incessantly in the middle of a game that I have tried to play multiple times, it gets a bit annoying. If possible, I would play all 162 games, but that is not an extremely reasonable goal. Sorry. :(

Suffice to say that I will play as many games as possible.

:joystick:

2 mailbag questions:

- When is fan appreciation day? What special events has the organization planned on that day?

- Are the Yankees eying on other free agents apart from Roger Clemens? If so, what is the reasoning behind such possible acquisition?

I'm starting the fourth game in like 10-20 minutes, I have a few minor roster changes first. You can expect this game in 2-3 hours.

P.S. Expected Starters: Kei Igawa or Carl Pavano vs. Daniel Cabrera - a new feature for the "Around the League" section.

Game 1 of Series: Orioles at Yankees

Igawa Impresses, But Bullpen Falls Short At End

[align=center]gamele0.png

New York, NY: Yankees fans experienced their first loss of the year in a tight game against the Orioles. The Orioles scored first off of Yankees starter Kei Igawa in the fourth, striking for the only three runs Igawa gave up with two homers in the inning. Igawa was solid in his first start in the Major Leagues, giving up just three runs in seven innings while walking just two and striking out three.

The Yankees struck back for three runs to tie the game back up in the sixth. An Alex Rodriguez 3-run home run impressed the crowd, as it went an impressive 453 feet into straight center field.

At the end of the seventh, Melky Cabrera came in, taking over for Hideki Matsui. Matsui, who had been playing left field, is coming off of a 2006 wrist injury, and the Yankees felt that for all defensive purposes, Cabrera would be far more effective. Cabrera was placed in centerfield and Johnny Damon was moved to left to more efficiently use the arm strengths available in the outfield - Cabrera has a notoriously strong arm, while Damon has a notoriously weak arm.

The game wouldn't heat up again until the eight inning. Scott Proctor started off his inning well, but seemed to come apart after hitting Miguel Tejada with a pitch. The Orioles struck him for five runs before he could finish the inning. The Yankees would strike back in the bottom of the inning with solo homers by Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi. In the ninth, the Orioles struck Darrell Rasner for another run before the Yankees bullpen combination of Luis Vizcaino and Mike Myers ended the inning.

In the bottom of the ninth, Melky Cabrera (in his first at-bat) got a single, and Johnny Damon followed with a single of his own. A clutch Derek Jeter double with two out would not only score both runners, but extend a fourteen game hit streak for Jeter, but it was not enough as Bobby Abreu flied out to end the game.

Player of the Game

6545.jpg

Aubrey Huff: 3-for-5, 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 HR

--

Click For Full Boxscore

--

Next Up: Baltimore at New York

Expected Starters:

Jaret Wright (0-0, 0.00 ERA) @ Carl Pavano (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

[/align]

--

Around the League: April 6, 2007

Divisional Game Results

Boston Red Sox @ Texas Rangers

Boston 8, Texas 5

Toronto Blue Jays @ Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Toronto 6, Tampa Bay 1

Minor League Game Results

Tampa Yankees @ Lakeland Tigers

Tampa 7, Lakeland 4

Erie Sea Wolves @ Trenton Thunder

Erie 9, Trenton 6

Scranton-Wilkes Barres Yankees @ Ottawa Lynx

Scranton-Wilkes 5, Ottawa 0

Injury/Signing/Trade News

Adrian Gonzalez (SD) strained his lower back, and is listed as day-to-day.

Team Notes and Quotes

Scott Proctor: That game was really disappointing for me; I don't know why I haven't been pitching like I used to. I felt like I was throwing the ball the same as last year, and they were just hitting it when they wouldn't have last year.

Derek Jeter's 14 game hit streak, started in 2006, was extended in the ninth when Jeter hit a double. It is now 15 games long.

---I've been busy this week, but I expect to play a game tomorrow, and I might be able to get it out with the full setup, but if not, it will be out on Thursday. I might also be able to do another game on Thursday, you can expect 1 or even two games on Friday, and then all of the weekend and all of next week I should have a game out basically every day - I get school off for a week. Just thought you might want to see what I have planned in my schedule for this game.

Archived