Nationals new ballpark

Totte

Have anyone of you stadium modders thought about starting to work on the new Nats ballpark that'll be opening in April next year?

Nationals Ballpark Quick Facts

Location: The stadium will be located in Southeast Washington along the Anacostia River bounded by South Capitol Street to the west, M Street to the north, First Street to the east and Potomac Avenue to the south

Size: 41,000

Features: 22,000 seats in the lower bowl, 12,100 in the upper seating bowl, from where fans can see the U.S. Capitol building, 2,500 club seats, 1,112 suite seats, a 500-seat founder's club with indoor dining, and a 1,300- seat diamond club with indoor dining

Design By: The joint venture team of HOK/Devrouax-Purnell Architects was picked to design the stadium.

Pictures can be found at: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ba.../newstadium.jsp

Have anyone of you stadium modders thought about starting to work on the new Nats ballpark that'll be opening in April next year?

If the Nationals aren't going to bother building a real ballpark, I won't bother making it for mvp. What a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Wow, the cherryblossoms are a nice touch. The scoreboard is horrendous.

Using PNC would be the best bet. All that stadium is PNC park, shifted around so that it is closed in for the most part.

The Mets new stadium, now that is a terrible ballpark. Almost as bad as Turner Field.

Wow, the cherryblossoms are a nice touch. The scoreboard is horrendous.

Using PNC would be the best bet. All that stadium is PNC park, shifted around so that it is closed in for the most part.

The Mets new stadium, now that is a terrible ballpark. Almost as bad as Turner Field.

Speaking of Turner Field will the Braves be getting a new ballpark anytime in the next century? =D

I thought about takling that park, Washington that is, but I am really enjoying fooling around witht he older parks. Oakland Alameda was beautiful back in the day. I have a new appreciation for the older parks now a days.

I think Citizens Bank Park would be a great base. I might tackle this, but not for a very, very long time (I must start and finish the Kingdome first).

Sean O, you seem to have very tough standards for new ballpark designs. I actually really like this design. What do you look for when you size up a new ballpark design?

And have you kids ever actually been to Turner?

Yes, I have. Saw an interleague game there in Ripken's last year. Sat in expensive seats in the outfield and still couldn't see anything. The scoreboard wasn't very impressive and everything seemed 'tacked' on to the stadium.

I think Citizens Bank Park would be a great base. I might tackle this, but not for a very, very long time (I must start and finish the Kingdome first).

Sean O, you seem to have very tough standards for new ballpark designs. I actually really like this design. What do you look for when you size up a new ballpark design?

1). Architecture. It seems obvious, but there is no architecture in these parks. Kauffman Stadium, Arrowhead, San Nicola Di Bari, even to a lesser extent RFK, they all have a basic concept of form and line that make it a positive experience to watch a game in.

2). Uniqueness. There is nothing unique about any park since Camden, and even that was aping the past.

3). Execution of its mission. The cookie cutter parks of the 70s were terrible for baseball. The earlier baseball parks failed when converted for football use. Even current baseball-only parks put the upper decks so far away that there's zero intimacy.

Take a look here and here for some of my designs. I have updated shots I'll post once I get the interweb back up at home.

PNC Park is the only modern park to really get everything right. They built onthe river across fromt he city with perfect sight lines. The building was designed to incorporate local fixtures like the navy steel and the yellow rock.

The two deck approach is brilliant. There is not a bad seat in the stadium ad you feel as close to the field in the farthest seat in the upper deck as you do in the farthest seat in the lower deck.

The wall design is a little crooked, but it runs along the river in areas forcing the right field wall shorter and taller, but in left center there is an unjustified crook to make the ball bounce a little funny.

That bothers some (Sean0) but I like a little nuiance like a crooked wall.

Now a hill in center (Minute Maid) is ridiculous.

having researched Oakland that stadium could have been as timeless as Kauffman had Mt. Davis never been built. I can only hope that the I can do it justice.

I love the cherry trees at this new DC ballpark, but won't they be bloomed by the time baseball season starts?

Ameriquest Field is actually fine sitting in the upperdeck if you are along the foul lines. The only game I got to go to last year we sat about 3/4's down the left field side and I could still see the ball crossing the plate and everything. But I like what Sean-O said about most of the upperdeck seating having no intimacy with the game as I remember going to Mets & Yankee games as a kid and having to sit up in the upperdeck and not being able to see a d*mn thing.

I actually really dig the upper deck of Yankee Stadium, since it's closer than virtually any other park in history to the field (Tiger Stadium and Polo Grounds excluded). Plus, since it is recessed far enough back, you don't miss entire parts of the field as you did in those other two. Luckily the designers of the renovation (who butchered the park, don't get me wrong) decided to expand the top part of the upper deck to balance it out, while also integrating steel cables into the concrete to counterbalance the loss of the posts below.

Now, Shea is completely different. There's virtually no overhang at all, meaning the upper deck may as well be in Brooklyn for the sightlines it provides.

Yes, it costs more, and makes things more difficult, but everything should be overhanging, even if it means posts.

It's already in the game, it's just called Ebbets Field.

Dude, you know that's not actually true, right? The external architecture is obviously inspired by ebbets, but the field dimensions are totally different.

The right field upper deck is actually gonna hang out over fair territory a bit, like the Polo Grounds, which i think is kind of cool.

Dude, you know that's not actually true, right? The external architecture is obviously inspired by ebbets, but the field dimensions are totally different.

The whole thing is completely uninspiring, without a single new idea. It's like HOK simply dartboards elements from past parks, then jumbles them together into a park that looks like everything they've ever done before. If HOK ever has a unique design element, i'll be shocked.

Let's go over it point by point:

Outside: Blatant, point-by-point ripoff of Ebbets Field

Rotunda: Combination of the Ebbets Field rotunda and the Safeco Ebbets Field ripoff rotunda

Left field: Ripped off from CBP's left field, especially the second deck

Right field overhang: Ripped off from the Polo Grounds

Center field: Ripped off from Ameriquest

Seating bowl: exactly the same as every other HOK park

And as if that's not enough, it's not even as good as the sum of its parts. The combination is so unfocused and pedestrian that it doesn't deserve any acclaim at all.

When will we actually see a unique park for baseball?

Yes, I have. Saw an interleague game there in Ripken's last year. Sat in expensive seats in the outfield and still couldn't see anything. The scoreboard wasn't very impressive and everything seemed 'tacked' on to the stadium.

Yeah, never sit in the outfield...buy the $1 seats and trade down. Or, sit in the 401 or 402 section. It's not as high as it sounds, and it's right behind home plate. You've got a pretty good view of the action and a very good view of that scoreboard (though who doesn't)...and, of course, they're priced between 5 and 10 bucks.

And about everything being 'tacked on'...Turner field used to be Centennial Olympic Stadium, and it surely beats the hell out of Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Archived