Nationals new ballpark

Totte

The whole thing is completely uninspiring, without a single new idea. It's like HOK simply dartboards elements from past parks, then jumbles them together into a park that looks like everything they've ever done before. If HOK ever has a unique design element, i'll be shocked.

Let's go over it point by point:

Outside: Blatant, point-by-point ripoff of Ebbets Field

Rotunda: Combination of the Ebbets Field rotunda and the Safeco Ebbets Field ripoff rotunda

Left field: Ripped off from CBP's left field, especially the second deck

Right field overhang: Ripped off from the Polo Grounds

Center field: Ripped off from Ameriquest

Seating bowl: exactly the same as every other HOK park

And as if that's not enough, it's not even as good as the sum of its parts. The combination is so unfocused and pedestrian that it doesn't deserve any acclaim at all.

When will we actually see a unique park for baseball?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't arguing architecture. I was merely saying that in terms of MVP (that is still what this board is about, right?) Citi Field is not already in the game as Ebbets Field. The inside of Citi Field, which is obviously the part that's relevant to MVP, will not look at all like Ebbets. And if there's a modder who's willing to try to make Citi Field, I don't think it's right to discourage that by saying it's the same as Ebbets. There are a lot of people on this site who would like to see Citi Field in the game.

Also, honestly, I don't know what's so bad about re-using something that's worked before. Of course the rotunda and exterior facade are from Ebbets Field. That's the whole point. It was Fred Wilpon's idea to do that anyway, not HOK. He's been talking about that for years. And it's not like anyone involved is claiming to have invented the rotunda.

As a Mets fan, and son of a former Brooklyn Dodger fan, I really like the idea of heavily incorporating Ebbets into the Mets' new home, ditto the right field overhang coming from the Polo Grounds, which was the Mets' original home. National League baseball in New York has a long history, and it'll be nice to see elements of that. It's atmosphere.

I feel like there's quite a difference between an homage and a rip-off. Just because something's been used (and used well) doesn't make it a mess. I don't mean to say that you're absolutely wrong, I just think it's a matter of opinion.

Archived