Miller Park Mastery: A Milwaukee Brewers Fantasy Dynasty

NYY_rich

Game 16

Pirates (8-7) @ Brewers (11-4)

Revenge is sweet, especially when it involves the same margin of victory. What's even better? A masterful veteran performance by Pedro Martinez, Tony Gwynn Jr.'s first longball shot of his career, and Kerry Wood league-leading tenth save. The next closest to Wood is 6. There's more???

Soriano, Hermida, Pujols, Kendall, and Phillips pretty much got the day off which explains Gwynn Jr., Gomes, Miles, Mientkiewicz, and Piazza getting the start and the job done. The next hurdle lies with the Houston Astros and a three-game weekend series. The former Astro, Andy Pettitte, takes the hill for Game 1 against the man who finished the 2006 World Series with a strikeout... Adam Wainwright.

gwynnjrax5.jpg

Tony Gwynn Jr. making his first effort to make his own name.

matthewsjrqd1.jpg

Gary Matthews Jr. hustles it all the way down the line.

BOX SCORE

lol Cano in a Reds uni.... never going too happend!

anyways how can you not have a hard time playing like that? I would get a desktop + graphics card if I was you... thank god I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Game 17

Astros (7-9) @ Brewers (12-4)

After scoring two runs in the last two games against Pittsburgh, Brewers manager Ned Yost had a closed-door pep talk with his ballclub. Whatever he said definitely inspired the Brew Crew as the bats blazed for an 11-4 victory over Houston. The first sign of Milwaukee's bats coming back to life was in the first inning as Albert Pujols went deep for his sixth longball of the young season. However, it really wasn't much of a power display on the part of the Brewers; every hitter 1-8 had at least one base hit.

The only low points of the day were Andy Pettitte's inconsistency on the mound and the average of infielder Brandon Phillips (who filled in for Jose Reyes when on the DL) dropping to the interstate. However, the Brewers are optimistic that all the low points will turn themselves around against Ramon Ortiz and the Astros.

dptimese4.jpg

A "smooth as silk" double play.

offthebagse7.jpg

Jason Kendall hit a laser beam liner off the bag at third into left.

BOX SCORE

Game 18

Astros (7-10) @ Brewers (13-4)

Last game it was all about the offense; this game was all about quality pitching... more specifically Jason Marquis. The only blemish on his CG masterpiece was a solo shot by Andruw Jones in the eighth. That HR also ended Marquis's perfecto bid which went through seventh innings. On the offensive side, batters 1-7 got at least one hit apiece. The #8 hitter Brandon Phillips went 0-for-4 dropped his average even further to .157.

Jeremy Hermida hit his ninth of the year and is nearing on the record for HRs in April. Tony Gwynn Jr. also hit #2 of the year and his career. The series finale will feature lefty Chuck James on the hill.

marquiswi2.jpg

Jason Marquis celebrates his first complete game since 2005.

downthelinedp3.jpg

Eric Chavez delivers a shot to right field.

BOX SCORE

Game 19

Astros (7-11) @ Brewers (14-4)

Get out the brooms, the Brew Crew completed the sweep as they finished off the Astros at Miller Park by the score of 7-1. Chuck James gave the Astros numerous problems as he took control of the game from the hill. Jeremy Hermida is now tied for the league lead in HRs with 10 (Berkman - NYY, Drew - PIT), and he's still closing in on Pujols' record for the most HRs in the month of April.

Brandon Phillips was also sent down due to his lack of production at the plate and his committing of two errors at second base. Rickie Weeks, who's been hitting .400 since his demotion to AAA will make his return to the big club tomorrow in Chicago.

Mike Myers and Braden Looper nailed down the W, and at the moment, their ERAs are still perfect. "Our bullpen has been the secret to our success, and I'm confident it will bring the Brewers to its first playoff berth in 25 years," exclaimed Brewers manager Ned Yost.

Troy Glaus for the Astros suffered a torn right shoulder muscle sliding into second in the 7th inning and will be out close to 6 weeks.

faceofdisappointmentbp5.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the face of disappointment.

thevictorsxg7.jpg

The Brewers can gloat to each other about their victory. There's nothing wrong with that.

BOX SCORE

The Boston Red Sox and the Milwaukee Brewers have made a deal. RF Casey Blake was sent to the Brewers in exchange for CF Gary Matthews Jr. who has been struggling and mired in controversy with the steroid investigation casting a dark cloud over him. Blake, during his short stint with Boston, hit .288 with 5 HRs and 13 RBI. Matthews Jr. for Milwaukee only hit .309 with 2 RBI.

With Blake in the fold, Jeremy Hermida has volunteered to move to LF for now. The move makes the possibilty for competition even greater with Jonny Gomes and his yearning for a starting job. Blake, when needed, will also backup Eric Chavez at 3B.

Archived