Fantasy Baseball Evaluations

Gige56

Barry Zito was dropped yesterday to waivers in my fantasy baseball laegue. Should I use my waiver spot (2) to grab him now or is he another ryan franklin or someone of that stature?

Okay what about this one. Should I drop Jermaine Dye or just wait him out.

Im sure there are others doing fantasy baseball. Lets hear about your teams too.

Dye is good for 30+ HR if he's healthy. Don't ever drop him unless he gets hurt.

All my fantasy teams are dominating in the pitching categories, but lacking in hitting because it's been so cold everywhere. Not to mention 3 or 4 hitters on one of my teams haven't played the last few days (CLE and SEA players).

Do not repeat the mistake of the idiot who dropped Zito, its only been what 8 games so far this year. It's a 162 game season, not fantasy footballs 17. Dye will produce, just give him time, its what you have a bench for after all :D

How active the league does play a huge part. But if it is a league with many active managers, I wouldn't spend the #2 prior on him. Pitching is easy to come by fantasy-wise because starting pitchers and closers change often, unlike position players. And fantasy wise, Zito isn't that good. I mean, yeah, he should and will be starting on a team. But I woudln't spend #2 prior on him in an active league.

And as far as hitters go, wait atleast a month if the player has already proven himself in years past. It's only been a week. It's a long season. Only drop a hitter if you're a certain what you're getting in return surpasses what you are giving up.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay next, I have been proposed a trade. I give up Ichiro and get Scot Rolen straight up. Right now I have troy glaus at the hot corner but is eligible to play ss. But I have J.J. Hardy at ss. what you guys think

I would keep Ichiro -- Rolen might add some power to your lineup, but he probably isn't the same guy he was a couple of years ago while Ichiro will give you plenty of stolen bases and a high average.

Not to mention Hardy is doing pretty good for the Brewers and is projected to put up some decent numbers. He can hit for some power (about 25 HR) and draw a lot of walks. One thing that surprises me is that Ichiro has only 1 SB all season.

Does anyone of you think Richie Sexson will come out of his slump soon. I want to grab him in free agency but not sure if he is worth the risk of getting rid of mike jacobs

Does anyone of you think Richie Sexson will come out of his slump soon. I want to grab him in free agency but not sure if he is worth the risk of getting rid of mike jacobs

Sexson tends to get hot after the All-Star Break every year...don't know how you wanna play that one

Sexson's numbers have progressively gone down every year for the past several years. His #'s will increase from what they are now, yes, but he's not very good anymore. I doubt he'll hit over 30 HRs, he'll probably get over 100 RBIs, but his AVG is not good (He hasn't hit .265+ since 2003). The Mariner offense also takes a huge drop off after him, and I doubt he'll even get over 80 runs again.

Meanwhile, Jacob's is entering his prime years (He's 26, and 26-27 is when player's power numbers normally greatly increase). Last year he only played on one leg most of the year, and the year before he had a combined 36 HRs combined with the minors and majors. It's unlikely he'll keep his .300+ AVG, probably will be in the .280-.290 range. He only had a career .288 minor league average, but his last two full minor league years he also batted .329 and .321 (Both AA). And the Marlins are very good offensively (current they are statisically the best in baseball), so 100+ runs and 100+ RBIs is not out of the question.

The problem: He doesn't play everyday. Although Fredi Gonzalez continues to say that he's not in a platoon situation, Aaron Boone has started the past several games against LHP.

I'd pick Jacobs over Sexson, but I'd also try and find another option aswell. If you stick with Jacobs, I'd suggest getting a back up 1B and plug him in when he doesn't play. This requires a lot more attention, but it's effective. I'd also suggest this player to be a big UTIL player so you can also plug him in other spots (like Ty Wigginton, Rich Aurilia, ect.)

My team's doing pretty rotten this year (8 out of 10), the second year of a keeper league. I lost a lot (Clemens, Pettitte, Zito, A-Ram) to free agency in the off-season.

C - A.J. Pierzynski

1B - R. Howard

2B - C. Utley

3B - M. Mora

SS - E. Renteria

OF - C. Crawford

OF - Del. Young

OF - Car. Lee

UTIL - B. Giles

BENCH - L. Scott

BENCH - M. Ensberg

SP - J. Vazquez

SP - J. Lackey

SP - J. Bonderman

SP - J. Moyer

SP - J. Jennings (DL)

SP - J. Marquis

SP - J. Hirsh

SP - Josh Johnson (DL)

SP - Z. Duke

SP - C. Sampson

SP - F. Hernandez (DL)

SP - Ani. Sanchez

SP - R. Oswalt

SP - F. Liriano (DL)

RP - C. Cordero

RP - D. Wheeler

RP - D. Riske

RP - B. Lidge (Though I don't know why I'm keeping him.)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay next, somebody just dropped Josh Hamilton and picked up Alex Gonzalez. Should I wait until he becomes a free agent, or use my #1 wavier pick for him. Also Sammy Sosa just became a free agent today, should I grab him as well. Here is my team as of right now:

C

John Buck

(KC - C)

1B

Mike Jacobs(Fla - 1B)

2B

Aaron Hill

(Tor - 2B,SS)

3B

Troy Glaus

(Tor - 3B,SS)

SS

Jhonny Peralta

(Cle - SS)

OF

Vladimir Guerrero

(LAA - OF)

OF

Vernon Wells

(Tor - OF)

OF

Aaron Rowand

(Phi - OF)

Util

Carlos Beltrán

(NYM - OF)

Util

J.J. Hardy

(Mil - SS)

BN

Jermaine Dye

(CWS - OF)

BN

Ichiro Suzuki

(Sea - OF)

BN

Dan Uggla

(Fla - 2B)

BN

Marcus Giles

(SD - 2B)

DL

Akinori Iwamura

(TB - 3B)

Any suggestions of who I should try to move

• 2 weeks later...

Advice needed:

Was I foolish to do this trade?

Michael Young, Victor Martinez, Jeremy Hermida, and Chris Ray

FOR

Ichiro, and Derek Jeter

MY ROSTER:

C - Victor Martinez

1B - Ryan Howard

2B - Rickie Weeks

SS - JJ Hardy

3B - Kevin Youkilis

OF - Jermaine Dye

OF - Gary Sheffield

OF - Carlos Lee

Util - Michael Young

Util - Adrian Gonzalez

BN - Jeremy Hermida

BN - Garrett Atkins

BN - Joe Mauer (DL)

Pitchers

SP

Matt Cain

James Shields

Ervin Santana

Tom Gorzelanny

Scott Kazmir

Tim Lincecum

Ching-Ming Wang

Aaron Harang

RP

Takashi Saito

Chris Ray

Jason Isringhausen

Mariano Rivera

DL

Huston Street

I feel like I might regret this trade if Mauer doesn't come off the DL soon. Is that feeling correct?

^He's coming off Friday...isn't he? Seems alright to me, and furthermore I think you should try to pick someone else up and drop Mariano Rivera.

Anyway, here's my squad:

the gyroballsack

c - russell martin

1b - albert pujols

2b - brandon philips

3b - aramis ramirez

ss - rafael furcal

of - grady sizemore

of - alex rios

of - aaron rowand

util - jeff francouer

bench - bj upton, jj hardy

sp - tim hudson, john maine, eric bedard, james shields, dan haren, randy wolf

rp - takashi "GAME OVER" saito, francisco rodriguez, todd jones

dl - roy halladay

Some idiot in my league has both Matt Holliday and Alfonso Soriano on his bench, so I offered him Tim Hudson, John Maine, JJ Hardy, and Jeff Francouer for John Lackey, Matt Holliday, and Julio Lugo who will be promptly dropped if accepted.

Archived