My favorite writer died today.

AstroEric

This is truly a sad day for literature. It's true that he hadn't bestowed his genius upon the general public is many years... but we are now assured that new concepts like that of "Ice-9" are not going to be in our future.

His most famous works, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five, and Breakfast of Champions were all brilliant, of course. But (thanks to some over-zealous English teachers in my past), I have a great appreciation for some of his lesser-known works. Maybe I'll go back and read one or two now.

According to Vonnegut's own gradings of himself, he gave Mother's Night an A. :)

I have actually NOT read that one, but considering I respect both Vonnegut's opinion of himself AND your opinion, AstroEric (since we agree on quite a bit of stuff around here), I will order this book off of Amazon right now.

Side note: I'm a little annoyed right now. My Vonnegut books aren't on my bookshelf, which means they must be in a box somewhere with the stuff I brought home from college ... what else am I missing in there?!?!?!

The first Vonnegut work I read was "Welcome to the Monkey House" in high school. I was one of those strange high schoolers who actually liked English, but I remember WMH being one of the few summer reading selections that I truly enjoyed.

Now I'm reading "Cat's Cradle" for my last college class. A great work so far--Vonnegut will be missed.

This is a huge loss. "Sirens of Titan" is my personal favorite. Everyone should read the "Wear Sunscreen" commencement address he gave one year at MIT. The world needs more humor and insight, it is a shame to lose someone who provided so much of both.

Archived