Great Fantasy Trades

Sean O

Right now, I'm trading Bedard and Cain for Utley. The pitchers were 141 and 148th, respectively, and Utley was 13th. Score.

Post your best trades that have been accepted so far this season.

Umm I wouldn't call either of those steals. Sean O may have gotten the better end of that Utley deal, but Bedard and Cain both have ace stuff, especially Cain, so you may be regretting that down the road a bit.

And uhhh...Dye and Wainwright for A-rod? What were you thinking? Wainwright has been great so far and has never been anything but great in his young career, while Dye is simply off to a slow start. You may have just traded 35 Home Runs and 15-20 wins for 45 Home Runs and 120 RBIs, so I can't say you exactly got the best end of that one.

I think you both are selling a bit low and buying high, not exactly the best approach, but it may work out just fine.

I was referring to the ARod trade. While Dye and ARod look equal, ARod is going to give you more steals, more runs, and a better batting average. I'd be absolutely shocked if Wainwright gets 15-20 wins, based on the fact that the only Cardinal to reach 15 wins last year was Carpenter. He might get 12-15 with an ERA around 4. You can find plenty of guys like that in the FA pool. ARod was primed for a huge year, and he's showed so far that he's going to have one.

Umm I wouldn't call either of those steals. Sean O may have gotten the better end of that Utley deal, but Bedard and Cain both have ace stuff, especially Cain, so you may be regretting that down the road a bit.

And uhhh...Dye and Wainwright for A-rod? What were you thinking? Wainwright has been great so far and has never been anything but great in his young career, while Dye is simply off to a slow start. You may have just traded 35 Home Runs and 15-20 wins for 45 Home Runs and 120 RBIs, so I can't say you exactly got the best end of that one.

I think you both are selling a bit low and buying high, not exactly the best approach, but it may work out just fine.

What you're not taking into account is position scarcity. There are plenty of quality starting pitchers, but very few quality 2nd basemen. In that deal, he definetly got the better end of it, as Utley is without a doubt the best 2nd baseman in baseball.

In the A-Rod trade, it's the same deal: Position scarcity. Again, plenty of starters (and Wainwright hasn't proven himself as a starter), and there are plenty of outfielders out there (Dye). And so far, A-Rod is the #1 ranked player in baseball in fantasy.

I'd say both trades were pretty lopsided.

My only trade so far was me trading Konerko and Hoffman for Abreu. Now, this may sound like a horrible trade for me, but there's a situation. I had Adrian Gonzalez sitting on my bench, and he's going to put up big stats this year, so I wanted to get something for Konerko. I also had 4 closers, so I needed to get rid of one. And I didn't have a lot of depth at the OF position. AND many critics are predicting an MVP-type season for Abreu, he's just started off slow.

I'm confident it'll work in my favor.

Right now, I'm trading Bedard and Cain for Utley. The pitchers were 141 and 148th, respectively, and Utley was 13th. Score.

Post your best trades that have been accepted so far this season.

I take it you had an influx in pitching? Bedard and Cain are both pretty solid starters. Don't get me wrong, Utley is an awesome offensive player in a weak position, but I hope you're not in a keeper league.

I could afford to do that deal. I'm in a 6 player league, so there's still plenty of good free agent pitchers (I got Wainwright back through waivers anyway). Also, I had Rios to fill Jermaine Dye's role. Anyway, A-Rod has a descent shot at being a top 3 fantasy player, possibly even the best, for this year.

Here's a trade proposed to me, and I need advice:

I get Greg Zaun, Edgar Renteria, Matt Holliday, and Brad Penny for Hanley Ramirez, Jermaine Dye, and Ramon Hernandez. (I accidentally drafted two catchers, so I also have Jorge Posada.)

I can also drop Zaun and pick up a free agent like Ibanez or Crede.

I got Chase Utley and Brian Fuentes for Josh Hamilton, who was otherwise riding my bench.

--Eric

Jesus, people are idiotic. Last year I got Utley for Chris Shelton because of his hot streak.

Here's a trade proposed to me, and I need advice:

I get Greg Zaun, Edgar Renteria, Matt Holliday, and Brad Penny for Hanley Ramirez, Jermaine Dye, and Ramon Hernandez. (I accidentally drafted two catchers, so I also have Jorge Posada.)

I can also drop Zaun and pick up a free agent like Ibanez or Crede.

I wouldn't do it. I really look at the stars you would lose. Hanley is an elite steal guy and Dye is similar (although not as good) as Holliday. If you have Posada, getting Hernandez (who's on the DL) wouldn't be that big of an improvement. Are you really in need of an SP?

Archived