Devil Ray Dynasty: Winning off pitching

DoubleD

The main focus of this dynasty: Dump all the talented young position players the Devil Rays have and deck out pitching, with the main focus of winning NOW. Using KG rosters with a couple edits and Jack319 with my own sliders on MVP difficulty. Also, in order to make sure that the computer doesn't mess up teams, all injury/computer trades/ect. is turned off. And my gimic: Rather then pictures, I'll be posting video clips.

I was actually originally thinking of doing it in a Sportscenter-esque clip series, just one clip per game describing the highlights as they go on. However my voice is also extremely flat and monotone, and I know I wouldn't be very good at it, haha ;) If anybody is interested in helping me though, doing the audio for it, let me know and I'd be very grateful :) For now, it'll just be clips of it.

Also as a note, the clips are encoded in 3ivx. you can download it at http://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html if you do not have the codec.

All trades made were trade rumors I've read about. I've tried to make the as fair as possible, and I would really like to hear how fair/unfair you guys feel the trades are. I tried to do my best to fill the other teams needs with what I had.

This is also my first time posting a dynasty, so let me know what the good/bad/ugly is so I can correct things.

[align=center]Rule V Draft

With the first selection in the Rule V Draft, the Devil Rays select Ryan Goleski out of the Indians system.

With the talk of the Devil Rays looking to move their abundance of young OFs, Goleski should give them added depth if he's able to make the team out of Spring Training. A power hitting outfielder, he hit 28 HRs in his first full year in the minors in 2004, in A league. However, he struggled in 2005 after being moved up to high A, hitting only 17 HRs and a .212 batting average. He rebounded in 2006, with a 1.077 OPS in 121 ABs in high A, and continued to rake after being called up to AA, smashing 17 HRs in 324 ABs while hitting .296, for a combined 27 HRs and 106 RBIs. Along with his power, he also has one very strong arm, having been rated the top-arm in the Indians system for consecutive years in 2005 and 2006.

Unfortunately for the Rays, they also lose one of their best young outfielders. The Cubs selected Josh Hamilton with the third selection, and then traded him to the Reds for cash considerations. Hamilton was the first overall selection back in 1999 but had a substance abuse problem and was eventually indefinitely suspended from the league. On June 1st, 2006, it was overturned and he returned the the Devil Rays system, playing 15 games at low A, compiling a .260 AVG with no home runs in 50 ABs. There's still a question if he really is finally clean, but if he is, he could be a huge boost for the Reds.[/align]

[align=center]The First Move

The first move has finally been made.

With continual talks throughout the winter meetings, the Devil Rays and the Marlins have closed a deal. The Devil Rays send Elijah Dukes, and in return get starter Ricky Nolasco. This trade is of no surprise to anybody; The Devil Rays have an abundance of OF and need starting pitching, the Marlins have an abundance of SP and need a starting CF. This trade wasn't a question of "if", but "when."

Ricky Nolasco started last year in the bullpen, but was very producitive when he got called into a starter role at start of summer. He injured his hamstring towards the end of the season but continued to pitch due to injury problems elsewhere within the team, and was largely ineffective. The main question with Nolasco was that, even though he was solid throughout the summer, he also gave up a total of 19 ERs in only 8.2 innings against the Mets, raising questions if he'll be able to handle the offensive power houses in the AL East. Sergio Mitre is the frontrunner to take Nolasco's spot in the rotation.

Elijah Dukes speant last year in AAA, where he hit .293 with 10 HRs and 9 SBs. A 5 tool player, he is likely the sucessor of the Marlins CF job. There are several personality problems surrounding Dukes unfortunately. Since 1998, he has been arrested 6 times on charges including possession of marijuana, assault, and resisting an officer. If he can stay out of trouble, he should be in the league for a long time.

[/align]

[align=center]Houston gives up on Lidge

The Astros have finally given up on Brad Lidge, and have traded him to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

After giving up a game-winning HR to Pujols in the 2005 NLCS, he just has not been the same. Last year he lost his closing job to Dan Wheeler, and the Astros looked to move him in order to get some young talent. In return, they recieve J.P. Howell, Andy Sonnanstine, and Shawn Riggans.

Riggans, a catch prospect, hit .293 with 11 HRs last year in AAA, aswell as being a very good deffensive catcher. He'll likely spend 2007 in AAA, but with Ausmus contract running up at the end of the season, he could end up being a starter in 2008.

Andy Sonnanstine was lights out last year in double A. He went 15-8 in 28 starts, compiling a 2.67 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP. He also showed impecable control, walking only 1.65 per 9. He'll be moved up to AAA, and is still a year or two away from breaking into the majors.

JP Howell, on the other hand, could make the Astros roster out of camp. He soared through Kansas City's system in 2005, starting the year in high A and finishing on the Royals roster. He was traded to he D-Rays in 2006, and pitched very well in AAA. In 10 starts, he went 5-3 with a 2.62 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP. However, so far his major league starts have been rather unimpressive. In 23 starts, he only has a 4-8 record with a 5.79 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, and only 6.81 K/9. At 23, he's still very young and will more than likely turn it around very soon.

In Lidge, the Devil Rays look to be able to stabalize a bullpen that was flat out horrible in 2006. Hopefully a change of scenery and leagues will help Lidge conform back to his old self.

[/align]

[align=center]Lincecum's time is now

With the SF Giants looking to open up a spot in their rotation for youngster Tim Lincecum, the D-rays jumped on the oppertunity to grab more pitching.

The Giants give up Noah Lowry, Merkin Valdez, and Brian Wilson, and in return they get Johnny Gomes, Wes Bankston, and Justin Ruggiano.

Johnny Gomes gives the Giants what they need most: A young, power hitting outfielder. Although he only hit .216 last year, he was also injured for much of the year, and is only two years removed from hitting .282. And, even with his injury, he has managed to hit 20+ HRs the past two years. He is expected to start in RF for the Giants.

Wes Bankston split time between AA and AAA last year, for a combined .280 AVG and 9 HRs. Playing first base for the past few years, the Giants will be also be looking to play him at third. At 22, he's still a awhile away from being ready for the majors. But First and Third are two positions the giants really need depth in, so don't be surprised if you see him on the major league team in a year or two, possibily even this year.

Just Ruggiano, like Bankston, isn't quite ready for the show, but he is a very good OF prospect who has been mostly stuck in LA's system for the past few years. Last year, playing in both LA's and TB's AA system, he combined to hit for .280 with 13 HRs and 14 SBs.

The Giants were mostly looking to move Matt Morris, but the Devil Rays insisted on Noah Lowry if a deal was going to get done. Lowry regressed a bit last year, going 7-10 with a 4.74 ERA, but at 26 he should still have a bright future.

Both Brian Wilson and Merkin Valdez will be competing for bullpen spots out of spring training. Both possess good fast balls and sliders, but both also need to improve on their change ups to keep hitters offbalance before truly being ready for the show. Wilson, the more likely one to make the club, has had a productive minor league career, compilling a 2.89 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP in 24 relief appeares last year in triple A. He also made 30 appearences for the Giants, but struggled in that role, putting up a 5.52 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP. Valdez had been productive in his minor league career, but struggled last year in AAA. He was very wild, with a BB/9 of over 7. In 46 appeareanced, he had a 5.80 ERA and a 1.83 WHIP.

[/align]

[align=center]Young for old

The Kansas City Royals and Tampa Bay Devil Rays have completed a deal. The Royals send veterans Reggie Sanders and Odalis Perez, and in return get youngsters Tony Peguero and Ben Zobrist.

Zobrist will likely take over SS for the Royals. A very good contact hitter in the minors (.324 AVG in 3 seasons), he struggled in 183 ABs in the MLB last year, hitting only .224. With Zombrist and Tony Pena Jr, it looks more and more likely that the Royals will move Mark Grudzielanek.

Tony Peguero speant last year in AA, and went 10-12 with a 2.97 ERA and 1.13 WHIP. He has both started and come out of the bullpen for the D-Rays, and it has yet to be known how the Royals plan to utilize him.

Both Odalis Perez and Reggie Sanders were blocking younger, better options for the Royals and it was no secret the Royals were looking to move them. Perez, 29, struggled last year, going 6-8 with a 6.23 ERA and a 1.59 WHIP combined between LAD and KC. Sanders, 39, has lost a step but is still a capable player. He hit .246 last year with 11 HRs in 325 ABs.

With Zombrist being moved, it's looking like B.J. Upton will take over SS for the Rays.

[/align]

[align=center]Blockbuster move - Harden to Tampa

With the Harden's injury history, it has been rumored that A's have been shopping him around. They finally got a deal they liked, and they recieve CF Rocco Baldelli and pitching prospects Jake McGee, Jeff Niemann, and Jon Switzer.

Niemann and McGee are the top two pitching prospects for the Devil Rays, and it's quite a risk taking a flyer on Harden. However, when healthy, Harden has been lights out. Over 4 major league seasons, he has a 30-16 record to go along with a 3.67 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, and 8.28 K/9. And at only 24 years old, he still has a very bright future infront of him if he's healthy.

Jacob McGee, 20, has yet to pitch past A. He had a 2.96 ERA there last year, combined with a 1.25 WHIP, and a 3.64 ERA and 1.31 WHIP in 2005 in low A.

Jeff Niemann, the top pitching prospect in the Rays system, pitched last year at AA and compiled a 2.68 ERA and 1.10 WHIP. Niemann, 23, was the 4th overall selection in 2004 after spending three years pitching at Rice.

Jon Switzer, 27, pitched at both AAA and the majors last year and was productive at both levels. At AAA, he had a 0.87 ERA and a 1.13 WHIP in 26 appearenecs. In the majors, he had a 4.54 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP in 40 appearences. He'll likely earn a role in the Athetlic's bullpen.

Baldelli is one of the best young CFs in the game, though he has also had his own injury problem. He also has a very affordable contract, something the A's deffinatly will embrace.

The Rays also recieve pitcher Kazuhito Tadano. Tadano, who has major league experience with the Cleveland Indians, strugled at AAA last year, posting a 5.08 ERA and 1.54 WHIP. He'll fight for a bullpen job in spring training.

This trade could either turn out to be very good or very bad for the Rays. On one hand, Harden is MLB-proven and the prospects could flame out. On the other hand, considering Harden's injury history, he could end up being a higher quality Carl Pavano. And with how much the Rays gave up for him, they need him to stay healthy.

[/align]

[align=center]Spring training coming to a close, last transactions before the season

The Devil Rays have made a couple of moves involving players that didn't make the cut.

The first move comes in getting Jose Capellan from the Milkwakee Brewers.

Capellan pitched well for the brewers out of the Bullpen last year. In 61 appearences, he had a 4.40 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. He struggled in spring training though, and after being optioned to AAA, he demanded a trade.

In return, the Brewers gets James Houser JR. A second round pick in 2003 out of high school, he has speant 4 years in the minor leagues, compiling a career 3.90 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP. He has yet to pitch past high A.

The D-Rays also moved their own player that didn't make the cut.

Jorge Cantu was moved to the Mets, and in return the Devil Rays recieve Ambiorix Burgos.

Cantu had a monster season in 2005, smashing 28 HRs with a .286 AVG. He struggled last year though, hitting only .249 with 14 HRs. At only 24, he has a long time to restore his numbers. He also fills about the only void in the Mets lineup, taking over Jose Valentin's role at second base.

Ambiorix Burgos, a pure flamethrower, struggled last year for Kansas City. Given the Royals closer role, he blew 12 saves over the year, having a 5.52 ERA and a 1.64 WHIP.

The more interesting part regarding the Cantu trade is now how the infield will shape up. Upton will now move over to second base, and prospect Evan Longoria will play short. Longoria, not expected to play for another year or so, was also planned to move over to third since he'll likely outgrow the SS position. However, he's been a career short stop and can still play if well. He might need to move later in his career, but he certainley doesn't have to now. The best power prospect in the Rays system, he hit 18 HRs last year in only 248 ABs between low A, high A, and double A.

The Rays also make a few signings before the year begins. Outfielder Terrence Long and infielders Jose Viscanio and Damian Jackson are all signed to one year minor league contracts. Jackson is the only one likely to start the year on the major league roster, playing in a utility role. The Rays also sign free agent Javy Lopez to a one year major league contract. Lopez, who was released by the Rockies earlier in spring training, will not take the starting job away from Dioner Navarro. Not being able to get a secured starting job with any team, he chose the Devil Rays because he'll likely get the most playing time with them. With the Devil Rays choosing to go with a 13 man pitching staff, it leaves the bench thin and increases the need of an offensive-minded back up catcher. Lopez will likely also see time at DH and 1B.

One last spring training note: Ryan Goleski not only made the 25 man roster, keeping him in the D-rays organization, he also beat out Reggie Sanders for the starting LF job. Including Japanese star Akinori Iwamura, the Devil Rays will start four rookies.

[/align]

[align=center]Harden pitches gem in first start with Rays

apr2pitching.JPG

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/uptonsingle.avi

B.J. Upton starts off the season on a bright note, singling in the first AB...

...and then promptly steals 2nd!

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/uptonsteal.avi

However he would end up getting stranded. Clemens would also get his revenge in Upton's next time up

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/clemensk.avi

Striking him out with a high splitter.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/wiggingtonrbi.avi

Ty Wingington puts the first runs on the bored, with a 2-out, 2-RBI single in the third.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/navhr.avi

In the next inning, Dioner Navarro hit his first HR of the year off a high fastball, smashing it to the right field stands. Clemens wouldn't last much longer, going only 4.1 innings, giving up 5 runs off 10 hits, striking out 4.

Harden meanwhile was pitching well.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/harenk.avi

With that strike out of Posada, he had 6.1 innings of perfect baseball going.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/wiggingtondive.avi

Ty Wiggington dives and robs the next batter, Cano, of a extra-base hit and perserves the perfect game.

Unfortunately for Harden, he walked the next batter, Mientkiewicz, breaking up the perfect game. Damon was due up next...

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr2/nohitnomore.avi

..And broke up the no hitter. Harden would go 7 innings, giving up 3 hits, 1 walk, 1 ER, and 4 SO. The Devil Rays would go on to win the game, with both team's bullpens being solid.

apr2score.JPG

Boxscore/Play-By-Play

side note: I forgot to revert back my Sliders from a dynasty I was doing previously, which is built off a lot of minor leaguers so I boosted up the contact/power for it. I didn't notice it until around the 6th inning, and didn't want to restart since I had a no hitter going. Dropped them back down to the normal 0 contact/-10 power that I normally have it at, so don't expect this much offense from me normally[/align]

[align=center]Yankees bats come alive

apr4pitching.JPG

Ryan Goleski singling to left with two men in scoring position in the top of the second, getting his first RBI of his career

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/thrownouthome.avi

Greg Norton though was gunned out at home by Matsui.

The deffensive troubles for A-rod seemed to have boiled over to this year, as he throws away a routine play to first.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/aroderror.avi

Luckily for the Yankees, nothing would come of it.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/langdive.avi

Evan Langoria showing why the devil rays are playing him at short, as he makes a diving stop up the middle, robbing the speedy damon of a hit.

Langoria would then come up with two on and no outs...

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/wangdp.avi

And grounds into a double play with Wang making a nice stop.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/crawfordarm.avi

Carl Crawford showing off his own arm strength as he throws out Abreu at home as he tried to score from second on a Jason Giambi single.

The inning would get worse for Kazmir however.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/cano2rbi.avi

Robinson Cano hits a baseloaded single, scoring two runs. Kazmir would go on to give up 3 more runs, pitching only 4.2 innings and 6 ERs. He also struck out 6 though.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr4/crawfordhr.avi

Crawford trying to get the Rays back into the game as he hits a solo shot to the upper deck in the 7th

However it would be too little, too late, and the New York Yankees would power their way to a win.

apr4score.JPG

Boxscore/Play-By-Play[/align]

I cannot get the vids to work. I downloaded the program from your link, but it's still asking me to download a plugin which windows can't find.

It looks good so far though. I also like your trades, they seem pretty realistic. Just a quick question since we're on the subject of trades -- who would you want from the Indians if they were to trade for Dukes? I was thinking Scott Lewis and a minor league reliever for him (this is for dynasty purposes of course).

For the video codec: Did you try restarting your computer? That's about the only thing I can think of. Is anybody else having the problem?

You could also try installing this codec pack: http://misc.selftitled.net/a/klcodec243f.exe

It's the codec pack I use whenever I reformat a computer. I don't hold any responsibility if it somehow messes up your computer though :p Use at your own risk. I mean, I always use it so I doubt it'd do anything bad, but I don't hold any responsibility if it messes something up.

As far as an Indians trade goes, I think the D-Rays would look more for a big-league ready young pitcher. They have a lot of guys in A and AA that are pitching well, but they're suffering now because they don't have much pitching talent that's ready for the show. This goes for both their starting rotation and their bullpen. I would think something like Tom Mastny for Dukes would be fair and would more fill the Rays needs.

[align=center]Rays win series in a pitching duel

pitching.JPG

The game was mostly quiet, as both pitchers pitched extremely well

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr5/phelpsk.avi

Noah Lowry striking out Josh Phelps in the 4th. Lowry would finish with 7 strikeouts in 8th innings, giving up only 5 hits.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr5/petdp.avi

Andy Pettitte got into a jam in the 5th. With runners on first and third and only one out, he got Ty Wiggington to ground into a 4-6-3 double play. Pettitte would go 7.2 innings, striking out 5 and giving up 5 hits, while issueing 3 walks.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr5/jacksonsb.avi

Rivera came in at the top of the 9th with the score 0-0 and walked the lead off man, Wiggington. Damian Jackson came in to PR and promplty stole second, giving the Rays a man in scoring position with no outs.

Rivera, however, showed why he's the greatest closer of all time.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr5/marianok.avi

He struck out the next two batters, Greg Norton and Ryan Goleski.

Rookie Evan Langoria would then come up huge for the Rays, as he hit a 2 out double to left center field to score the first run of the game (no video-do'h). It would be the first extra-base hit and first RBI in his MLB career.

[video width=320 height=320]http://misc.selftitled.net/tb/apr5/lidgek.avi

Lidge came into the 9th, striking out two in a 1-2-3 inning to get his first save for the Rays..

score.JPG

Boxscore/Play-By-Play[/align]

i have every codec imaginable, and it doesnt work for me.

EDIT: I opened this thread in IE, and it works, althought its annoying because my task bar goes crazy with "FFShow" blocks lol

Archived