Total Classics 1978 has been released!

Jim825

Need some help fellas. How can i keep the MVP07 mod as well as the Classic 78? I don't want to delete the 07 mod, but also want to be able to play the 78. Please advise, I'm kinda new to all this. In other words,I don't want to overwrite my MVP07 mod, with the 78 mod. How do I keep both? Thx for all the work you modders do, to keep this game fresh.

Copy the entire folder over, then rename the "Copy of MVP Baseball 2005" to "MVP 1978" (or 1961, or 1967, or 1994, etc). Then, when you install '78, just point it to the '78 directory.

------

Jim-

When I load up a new dynasty for MVP, and I go to team management -> transactions -> free agents, every player in the game is available to be signed. This, unfortunately, leads to other teams in the league signing Jim Rice or Walter Johnson or Albert Pujols, which kinda messes up all the work you put into the mod to be completely accurate.

I loaded up MVP edit and tried to delete all the free agents in the game, and even tried to import the free agents from '06, but I still see Guidry, then Pujols, then Guerrero. I'm not sure if it's a problem where the all-star team entries are being shown in the free agency screen, but it happens with unlockable players on and off, default rosters on and off.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim-

When I load up a new dynasty for MVP, and I go to team management -> transactions -> free agents, every player in the game is available to be signed. This, unfortunately, leads to other teams in the league signing Jim Rice or Walter Johnson or Albert Pujols, which kinda messes up all the work you put into the mod to be completely accurate.

I loaded up MVP edit and tried to delete all the free agents in the game, and even tried to import the free agents from '06, but I still see Guidry, then Pujols, then Guerrero. I'm not sure if it's a problem where the all-star team entries are being shown in the free agency screen, but it happens with unlockable players on and off, default rosters on and off.

It might have something to do with the All Star rosters being changed. When exactly are the other teams signing these players? I started a new dynasty, simmed the entire season, stopping before the playoffs started.

On the main dynasty menu I clicked on "Around the League" and then "League News" and for every team, it states "No transactions".

In your case, are teams signing free agents you even start your season, during the season, or after the season is over? If it's before or during the season, then I'm not sure what is going on, since I've never seen this occur.

If it is in the off-season, then I agree it could happen (I did see this myself), however, the intent of this mod was to recreate only the 1978 season (i.e. a single season only). In other words, I didn't expect someone to continue the dynasty after playing one season.

These were some of the more important settings I used when running the dynasty:

Player Draft: No

Injuries: Off

Suspensions: Off

Use Unlockable Players: No

Trade Deadline: Off

CPU Initiated Trades: Off

I'm playing as the Sox, and I fast-forwarded to the 4th game of the season, against the Indians at Municipal (side note, did you do the ads for Municipal? looks good). To my surprise, after retiring the first 2 batters, Jim Rice came to the plate. I haven't played any games further than that, so i'm pretty early in the '78 season.

Since they're just free agents, there's no way to bar the other teams from signing these players. At least the Indians have enough money to sign a major bat.

Try simming just a few days, and you should get some signings. In every other case where there have been high quality free agents available for any price, teams have signed them, and so I think the only way to make sure it doesn't happen is by figuring out how they got on the list in the first place. Are the all stars, legends and heroes completely removed from the dynasty, like in the other classic mods?

I did exactly what you did -- start a dynasty as the Red Sox (which was hard to do as a Yankees fan), simmed up to the 1st Cleveland game and then played the game. I did see Jim Rice bat 3rd, but it was as a member of the Red Sox and not the Indians.

After getting out of the game, I looked at the transactions, and once again, no team had signed any free agents. What are the exact Dynasty options you are using? Perhaps there's something different between what you are doing and what I'm doing.

Do you have multiple installs of the game (i.e. different season mods)? The reason I'm asking is that as I'm sure you are aware, when you do this, all installs share the same settings in the My Documents MVP Baseball 2005 folder.

Have you played dynasties in the past? I had never played any dynasties before working on this mod. If you've played other dynasties for other seasons / mods where you can sign free agents, perhaps there's a setting in a file in the My Documents MVP Baseball 2005 folder. Since I never played any dynasties in the past, I didn't have any saved files.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws here, but so far, I can't reproduce what you are seeing. Keep providing me info and we'll eventually get this worked out for you.

By the way, Cleveland Municpal was done by our buddy PaulW. I didn't do anything with the ads. We first includedt he stadium in Total Classics.

Jim, you said you looked at the transactions list, but did you go into team management -> transactions -> free agency and see players there?

I used a fresh install of MVP and use the default settings for '78, so there shouldn't be anything there messing things up. I haven't had any issues for '61, '67 or '94, so I don't know why '78 would be any different.

I'll try simming ahead a little bit and see what happens. But I fear someone will sign some of the easily purchased people on the FA list.

edit:

Ok, I loaded up the sox and simmed about a week. Alfonso Soriano and Jeff Kent were signed by different teams, along with a few other major players. As far as I can tell, everyone in the '78 mod is available as a free agent, along with everyone in MVP '05. Right now I'm just wondering, does anyone else even see these people in free agency for dynasties in '78?

edit 2:

I just tried to see what was happening with a fantasy draft, and every MVP '05 player is listed, while every '78 player is listed twice. When I do the same for '94, only the '94 players appear, and just once. Same with '67.

Sean - I think I figured out your problem as well a solution to prevent it from happening. You said that you used the default settings. The default setting for "CPU Initiatiated Trades" is ON. I had always set this to OFF when I tested dynasties.

I set it to ON, simmed about a week and went to Around The League -> League News -> League Transactions. I noticed a number of players being signed (e.g. Ron Guidry signed by Oakland). I looked at Oakland's roster and sure enough, there was Guidry on the roster. I looked at the Yankees roster, however, and Guidry was still on that roster as well. I simmed another month and found more players signed by other teams (e.g. Jim Rice signed by Cleveland).

I quit the dynasty, restarted a new dynasty, but this time I set "CPU Initiated Trades" to OFF. I simmed two months and once again looked at the League Transactions. This time, there were NO signings by any teams.

I tried this with the released version of the 1978 rosters and also an earlier version I still had, which used the 2005 All-Stars (i.e. not 1978 All Star teams). I saw the exact same results (signings when CPU Initiated Trades is ON, no signings when CPU Initiated Trades is OFF). This leads me to believe that changing the All Star teams has no effect.

I would suggest that you turn off CPU Initiated Trades and try simming again. My guess is that those signings you saw will no longer occur.

Ok, first off, I have to say good job on this classic. I'm playing my beloved Cardinals and it's fantastic except, I can't hit a lick? I'm 3-2 and this is ok but my pitching is great and my hitting is terrible (overall .169). I have power maxed and contact is sitting at zero. I like the amount of K's my offense has but weak, weak hits. I have 1 double in 5 games. I don't want to adjust my pitching to be harder until I can figure out the offense. I like this dat file except I would to see a little more offense. Any ideas?

Secondly, the soundtrack is alittle weak for me. Some songs I may have put in would have been Van Halen-First album debut and whoa, tons of great tunes off that album. It was also the Cars first album and they had numerous songs also. Other songs I would have considered is Talking Heads "Take me to the River", Eric CLapton "Lay Down Sally", Rolling Stones "Shattered", Springsteen "Candy's Room", Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street", Bob Seger's " Hollywood Knights". Of course that is just my taste.

Good job on this overall, love/ hate the Cardinals Light blue road Uni's.

seriously, do i really have to say anything here?

Sorry, my computer was hanging up and I just saw what happened. Slam me if you need the cheap thrill

Signed,

Joe "I'm an idiot" Putz

Music is always one of things that will never please everyone. One person's tastes might not match another. When putting together the jukebox songs, it's hard since there are only 9 slots to work with. When selecting the music, I looked at a number charts (Billboard, etc.) to find out what songs were the top hits for 1978.

Bobolini PM'd me earlier today asking me to delete his extra posts, which he made by mistake. I just got his PM, since I just got home from work - so I deleted his extra posts.

It was a mistake, and he knew it, and he asked me to correct it - so I did!

All is well now!

Congrats on the mod, by the way!

Jim825,

Curious as to what datafile you are using? Thanks

I use this datafile: http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=2023.html

I really like this guy's work..... ;)

Since last yer, I've been using a slightly modified version that pulls in some of KSM's batter walkup cameras that were in one of his 2006 datafiles.

Hey Team, great job!

I was able to enjoy the game for about 8 games in. Then when it gets to the screen before you play, it crashes. It didn't do this before. I reloaded everything and tryed again. Still crashing. I tryed to download the new 1978 with the loader but I can't get it to download passed 32% when it stops and says it's done. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks again.

How are you playing -- Exhibition games or Dynasty mode? If you are playing dynasty mode, what settings do you have (e.g. injuries, trades, suspensions, etc.)?

I'm playing Dynasty with no trades, injuries or suspensions. It looks like it's just about to let me start playng then the loading bar goes right past the mid point, then goes back a 1/2 inch and crashes.

I'm playing Dynasty with no trades, injuries or suspensions. It looks like it's just about to let me start playng then the loading bar goes right past the mid point, then goes back a 1/2 inch and crashes.

More questions:

- What team are you playing as?

- What team are you playing against when the crash occurs and what stadium are you playing in?

- What uniforms are you using?

- Have you tried simming forward a few games and then try to play a game?

- Can you play exhibition games?

First, let me say, I love this mod. Unfortunately I'm also having a crashing problem. The crashing occurs when I ( the Red Sox) try to play the Baltimore Orioles in Baltimore. I'm almost positive the problem is with Scott McGregor. Every time I try to play a game with him as the starting pitcher, Dynasty or Exhibition, the game freezes at the last loading screen. I'm able to sim past the game that he pitches and play the next game with out any problems. My problem sounds similar to the problem bambaamm is having, so maybe it's a cyberface issue. Thanks.

It's not a cyberface issue. McGregor has generic face #902. I just checked all of the Baltimore and Boston players and all of the non-generic faces show up fine in MVPEdit.

I also just tried an exhibition game with Boston at Baltimore with McGregor pitching and it started fine with no problem. I'll keep looking into this.

I got it to work. I was playing with the Angels. In modded 1966-1988 or something close to that staduim, using the 78 unis. I traded for some guys even though I had trades off. That might have been the trouble. So I just left the rosters as is and have been having fun. I don't know why that was a problem, but anyway thank you for helping.

I got it to work. I was playing with the Angels. In modded 1966-1988 or something close to that staduim, using the 78 unis. I traded for some guys even though I had trades off. That might have been the trouble. So I just left the rosters as is and have been having fun. I don't know why that was a problem, but anyway thank you for helping.

Glad to hear that you got it working.

I keep having a "File is Corrupted" Problem Why is this???

When exactly do you see this problem? Have you been able to even install the 1978 mod?

Archived