Josh Hamilton Figure

Pirate

You all know his stoy and my affection for him coming clean. I have been working on this for some time. It's a customized McFarlane piece for my collection...

hamil6.jpg

hamil5.jpg

hamil4.jpg

hamil3.jpg

hamil2.jpg

hamil.jpg

...that my friend is one absolutely killer figure.

How exactly does one go about customizing a figure like that?

Very very very well done. I am highly impressed my friend. I'm sure Josh would be just as impressed himself.

This is what I was talking about in your dynasty a few days back.

It's a process... probably 20 hours of work on that guy.

You find a figure that fits or a couple you can piece together and you clean em, prime them, paint them, sculpt them and decal them. Then eventually you have a figure. It's a awesome hobby. I have done about 10 figures...

Thanks for the comments.

I'd be interested in getting into this, but I have about negative 10 percent artistic ability. The jersey numbering/lettering is spot on. Amazing amazing work.

Edit: Can you let us know who it started out as, or who you pieced together to make it work?

Nicely done my friend, how many of these have you done before? that is high quality so its obviously not your first.

On a personal note, I am going to be making a cusom figure of my brother who is the quarterback for his high school team for his birthday. I plan on using a Tom Brady figure.

I have been reading up on how to make them online, but do you have any tips?

Yes I am willing to sell figures, but they are costly. Usually around $60 to $70, plus shipping. This one is all mine, but I can make more.

I make the arm bands and extended the pants using a specialized sculpting clay. It's green and really sticky, but it works wonders.

As for tips I just suggest paitience. Let the paint dry, match you paint and decals by printing tests on photo paper and measure everything out perfectly.

I have done ten of these figs...

gates.jpg

joe.jpg

collection.jpg

This is where it may make sense on why I do it...

You all have seen what I do with the stadiums, well this is an extension of that. I make all the decals in Photoshop. I have every MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL font. Using my graphic resources I get the logos and wordmarks. I study size and print extremly high resolution files on my home printer. I use a special film for decaling models to set the ink and then I use a special glue to adhere the decals to the model. Finally I just use gloss and dull paint clearcoat to make the decals stick.

I first start by buying the igures to fit my model and then I boil it and break into several pieces that are originally glued. Once broken I clean it with brake parts cleaner to remove some gunk. Then you let it dry and then I put down the base color. That color is determined before I make the decals. I then match the decals to the base and print and apply.

There are two types of decals ones with a white background that print all colors and apply all colors. Then there are clear decals that will show the back ground base paint color, but not white.

I love doing it. It takes a while and my wife thinks they are neat.

Not shown in my photos are an Amobi Okoye - Texans; Ozzie Newsome - Browns; and John Van Benschoten - Pirates...

I'm takin gorders if you all want one ;)

so do you just find these then paint them and add accsessories?

Most are done as I posted above. Just repainted. But you can also take several figures and mix and match parts. My Joe Jureviious figure is three or four figures put together.

Archived