Krawhitham's two bits thread

Yankee4Life

I'm not only talking about people out on the street (or in a school) killing people for the "fun" of it, like Columbine. I'm talking about the entire effect video game has on American culture, not just about some twenty odd "crazy" people.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I already spend more than enough money hunting (Stupid feeder mechanisms never last, and corn is expensive.), so it would probably be a good thing.

Anywho.

Hey Eric, when I went to school a looooooooong time ago, you were taught to use commas after every noun in a series, like this: grapes, apples, and oranges. However, I have noticed recently that most writers don't do this anymore, they do it like this: grapes, apples and oranges. Has the rule changed? Just wondering...

Wow ^ I'm kinda weird, asking an English question on a baseball video game modding board in a spam thread.

I was always taught that words like "and " and "or" were linking words which helped to form the full sentence so no commas were necessary, so I'd go with "grapes, apples and oranges" as well.

Funny how much common grammar and punctuation can change over the course of a generation, yet it's still bastardised the world over. :)

:hammer:

Which reminds me, that is an interesting proposition Chris Rock said, if bullets cost $5,000...

"He put $50,000 dollars of bullets in his ***! He must have done something!"

I've always done "grapes and oranges," but "grapes, apples, and oranges," but that could be just me.

I hate the apples and oranges expression. Oranges > Apples. They taste better, they are better for you. Plus Apples don't come in the clementine variety. But, they don't make Orange Cider.

Hey Eric, when I went to school a looooooooong time ago, you were taught to use commas after every noun in a series, like this: grapes, apples, and oranges. However, I have noticed recently that most writers don't do this anymore, they do it like this: grapes, apples and oranges. Has the rule changed? Just wondering...

Technically, yes, you put a comma before the "and."

The reason it's changed is that newspaper journalists, going by style guides, have been omitting the last comma for awhile now. I suspect the reason has something either to do with saving ink, or with something having to do with column space.

I usually omit the comma, but I had to break myself of the rule-following habit when I was a newspaper reporter and I don't feel like breaking my new habit back to the original rule!

--Eric

Archived