Nebraska State Senator Sues God

D-Unit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/ap_on_...b0GACDOfkBvzwcF

LINCOLN, Neb. - The defendant in a state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He's everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he's trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

He's seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as "rape" and "victim" from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

"This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen's lawsuit "has any legal basis whatsoever" and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge's language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/ap_on_...b0GACDOfkBvzwcF

LINCOLN, Neb. - The defendant in a state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He's everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he's trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

He's seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as "rape" and "victim" from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

"This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen's lawsuit "has any legal basis whatsoever" and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge's language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

OK, here's a tipoff - The German word Kopf translates to "head". What is a nickname for Richard?

What's next? Kraw becoming a Yankees fan and Y4L a Red Sox fan?

You mean Kraw isn't a Yankee Fan? Wow

I'm not sure but I think this guy wanted to prove a point. I think it had to do with the fact that anybody basically can sue anyone else over anything. But, I'm not sure about this.

I personally think that if you think that god doesn't exists, then why you sue it? It's stupid.

I've been away for 2 days and this is what happened:

Tampa Bay changed his name.

Somebody sued god.

The Yankees are 1.5 games back.

Man, that's amazing!

You mean Kraw isn't a Yankee Fan? Wow

I'm not sure but I think this guy wanted to prove a point. I think it had to do with the fact that anybody basically can sue anyone else over anything. But, I'm not sure about this.

kraws a reds fan

he despises the yankees and red sox

a better thing to say is kraw becoming a cubs fan

It may be real, but shouldn't someone with a German surname such as it is, know better than to name their son Richard? Ouch.

It's a real surname in German-speaking countries. In fact, it's my very own name. :cool:

Luckily, my parents didn't name me D*ck, which wouldn't only have been embarrassing in the US, but here as well (D*ck Kopf = bullethead). However, rest assured that my name has been subject to a lot of play on words over the years. Kids can be so cruel...

If you've seen the film "The Man Who Sued God", you might just have a hidden theory about this lawsuit.

Think about it - if the Church is called upon to defend God as "his" representatives, the only way they can deny the allegations is to either deny God exists, or question the truth of the Bible, as the things that the guy is suing for and highlighting in the case are allegedly God's word in print.

Interesting. ;)

Archived