Total Classics 1956 v1.1 released

Jim825

I've uploaded an update for the Total Classics 1956 mod and it is now available in the downloads section. The v1.1 update includes the following changes:

1. Added new 1956 uniforms for the Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates, Redlegs and Senators (thanks Homer and HardcoreLegend!)

2. Fixed Yankees uniforms so that numbers appear on the back of jerseys

3. Removed flaps from the White Sox batting helmets to be consistent with other teams

4. Replaced shoes and catcher's gear for a number of teams (Cubs, Giants, Orioles, Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees) to be consistent with other teams

5. Updated rosters to correct '04 Face Flag error for Minnie Minoso (on White Sox roster)

6. Reduced power ratings for players who hit very few home runs (thanks stecropper for the formula tweaks!)

Here's the link: http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=4248.html

Enjoy!

God I'm going to sound like such a newbie here.

Do I have to start my dynasty over after the upgrade?

I think 5 & 6 might be my undoing, well 5 I can do manually with the MVPeditor

BTW great work Jim

My newbie response will be "I'm not quite sure," since I've never actually played a dynasty yet myself (and the operative word here is "yet").

You can get updates 1 - 4 by replacing just two files (datamodels.big and datafrontenduniforms.big). Just copy them over manually rather than running the installer. I wouldn't think that replacing just these two files would affect your dynasty.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like the mod.

I am 60 games into my dynasty and I decided to install the update for this mod. I just so happen to be playing the Yankees in my current series-when I loaded the game it had the uniform numbers and names on the back of the uniforms. My stats and records are the same-no crashing. Maybe it can work without interrupting the current season.

As Kraw stated:

Items 1-4 above in Jim's note will work just fine with an ongoing dynasty and they will be utilized in that ongoing dynasty.

Item 5 can be accomplish very easily using tywiggins dynasty update mod.

Item 6 will reduce several players that hit very few home runs power rating. This adjustment will not be effective for any ongoing dynasty. However, if one wished they could update those rating changes also via tywiggins dynasty mod. Which ratings were changed? I would assume around 25-40 players or so were impacted by this change and thus either Jim might be able to provide a listing of the changes so one could update their ongoing dynasty or one could do a compare between the original TC56 .mbe file and the V1.1 .mbe file to determine where these adjustments were made. It is my belief that these power ratings for those light hitting players were very minimal at most and thus if I were 20+ games into a dynasty I would likely not even concern myself with those adjustments.

Hope this helps,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

As Kraw stated:

Items 1-4 above in Jim's note will work just fine with an ongoing dynasty and they will be utilized in that ongoing dynasty.

Item 5 can be accomplish very easily using tywiggins dynasty update mod.

Item 6 will reduce several players that hit very few home runs power rating. This adjustment will not be effective for any ongoing dynasty. However, if one wished they could update those rating changes also via tywiggins dynasty mod. Which ratings were changed? I would assume around 25-40 players or so were impacted by this change and thus either Jim might be able to provide a listing of the changes so one could update their ongoing dynasty or one could do a compare between the original TC56 .mbe file and the V1.1 .mbe file to determine where these adjustments were made. It is my belief that these power ratings for those light hitting players were very minimal at most and thus if I were 20+ games into a dynasty I would likely not even concern myself with those adjustments.

Hope this helps,

Don

• 4 months later...

Hey Jim-

I'm doing a CAP dynasty in '56, but it crashes when I try to go to '57. Any idea if we've been able to work around that?

Hi Sean,

The problem here is in the schedule.big file (in the data database folder). If you open up this file with EAGraph, you will see that it contains one Single A schedule, two Double A schedules, two Triple A schedules, a Spring Training schedule and three MLB schedules.

The MLB schedules are named mlb162_1.dat, mlb162_2.dat and mlb162_3.dat. When a MLB dynasty is run, the game cycles through this 3-year cycle of schedules as follows:

1st year uses mlb162_1.dat

2nd year uses mlb162_2.dat

3rd year uses mlb162_3.dat

4th year uses mlb162_1.dat

5th year uses mlb162_2.dat

6th year uses mlb162_3.dat

For the 1956 mod (and most of the single season mods), only the first year's schedule (mlb162_1.dat) was modified to use the actual schedule from that year. The second and third year schedules (mlb162_2.dat and mlb162_3.dat) were not modified because the intent of the mod was for only a single dynasty season to be played.

The reason you are experiencing a crash when you go to 1957 is that the mlb162_2.dat file contains the 2005 schedule, which uses all MLB teams from 2005.

When I created the 1956 rosters, the teams that did not exist in 1956 (e.g. Toronto, Texas, etc.) were designated as minor league teams. When the mlb162_2.dat season file is used for 1957, it is trying to use major league teams that do not exist in the rosters (like Texas or Toronto), and because of this, the game crashes.

There is a way for you to get around this, however, it might mean that you'd have to start your dynasty all over again. Here's what you'd need to do:

1. Using EAGraph, open up schedule.big and extract the files mlb162_1.dat, mlb162_2.dat and mlb162_3.dat

2. Copy mlb162_1.dat to mlb162_2.dat and mlb162_3.dat. You now have 3 copies of the 1956 schedule with different names.

3. Using EAGraph, import mlb162_2.dat and mlb162_3.dat back into schedule.big

As your dynasty moves forward year by year, it will always use the same schedule with only those teams that were in existence in 1956.

Great, thanks Jim. That will be perfect since I'm planning on cycling through every single season mod currently released (save '94). So, I'll use '56 through 1960, then pick up '61, etc.

hey jim, i really enjoyed v.1, and it sounds like you've made v1.1 even better, question is, do i have to have part v1 and then do this update or, is this a full install?

another thing like the 1956 mod, is this stand alone, where i can just make a new mvp folder, and install it that way, "ie" i did this for 1978 mod which i luv, im thinking about doing it for the total classics edition, i had it installed but things didnt seem accurate, like stadiums, and uni's, i might d/l that 1 again to do further test, maybe it was me.

anyway ty agaion for the gr8 work, im sure its good. tc

hey jim, i really enjoyed v.1, and it sounds like you've made v1.1 even better, question is, do i have to have part v1 and then do this update or, is this a full install?

another thing like the 1956 mod, is this stand alone, where i can just make a new mvp folder, and install it that way, "ie" i did this for 1978 mod which i luv, im thinking about doing it for the total classics edition, i had it installed but things didnt seem accurate, like stadiums, and uni's, i might d/l that 1 again to do further test, maybe it was me.

anyway ty agaion for the gr8 work, im sure its good. tc

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.

V1.1 is a full install, so you do not need to install v1.0 and THEN install v1.1 on top of it. Of course, if you already installed v1.0, you could install v1.1 on top of it without any problems, as long as v1.0 was installed on top of a default, patched version of MVP2005 (i.e. you're not installing it on top of another modded version (MVP2007, etc.).

You can install the 1956 mod just like you did the 1978 mod. Create a new MVP folder with a default, patched version of MVP2005 and then run the 1956 installer or install them manually. I've got all the single season mods installed at home, each one in its own folder.

ok sounds good jim, byw which patch should i use, th elast official 4, or just do them all?

I only went as far as patch #2 myself, mainly to get the stuttering fix. I know that others have gone as far as going to patch #5. You only have to install a single patch, as each one is cumulative (i.e. patch #5 includes everything from patches 1 - 4).

yeh, thats what i was thinking to bro, just up to 2, ive heard 5 and 4 has alot of issues, but to be honest i didnt even patch the 1978, it had the shuttering, but once i used the 1.1 of the grass changer that went away, ill test run, and let ya know, thx again man.

Jim, what do you suggest is the best way to set the year to 1957 when in dynasty mode? I used tywiggin's schedule updater to change the year to 1957 and when it asked if I would like to keep the age the same, I said yes and the year changed properly, but everyone ended up being exactly 9 years old, and I mean everyone.

I know how to globally edit the age in MVPEdit and then export the .dat files to the database folder, and eventually use the schedule updater to set the year to 1957, but I would like to not do that as I want to be able to play some exhibition games as well with the correct ages.

What would you suggest is the best way around this? Thanks and take care. Looking forward to playing the games in dynasty mode.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done. The only thing I could think of is to your MVPEdit suggestions, where you open up the rosters in MVPEdit and globally edit all of the ages to be 1 year older.

When I imported the teams into the rosters from the Lahman database using MVPEdit, I did not do anything with the birthdates. MVPEdit must have adjusted them so that they were relative to the year 2005. Does that make sense? As far as playing in 1957, did you read my post about how you will need to modify the schedule.big file?

Thanks a lot for your response Jim. I figured that tywiggin's schedule updater would have taken care of the age as well but it didn't work as I had planned. I think I will just go ahead and globally edit the ages using MVPEdit.

The only thing I could think of is to your MVPEdit suggestions, where you open up the rosters in MVPEdit and globally edit all of the ages to be 1 year older.

I think you misunderstood me here. The ages are perfect when playing a dynasty and the year is set to 2005. But when you change the year to be 1957, that's where the ages get messed up. I think what I will have to do is globally edit the ages so that I take off 48 years from them and then use tywiggins' schedule updater to go to year 1957. I will try it out and see if it works and get back to you on that.

As far as playing in 1957, did you read my post about how you will need to modify the schedule.big file?

I read that post. Thank you and thanks for the wonderful mod. Take care.

• 10 months later...

Hey Kraw,

I had to chuckle seeing this post especially being it was from you. Trying to stack those Reds I see!

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you but will give it a try to see if it happens on my end as well and what might cause such a crash.

What month/day were you in your dynasty when you tried this trade. I will try to simulate it as closely as possible. Had you made any other successful trades before? Perhaps it has something to do with Aaron being one of the Legends/Heroes players but that is just a thought.

On a side note --- what is the significance of your "Total Classics 1990" banner? I hope it is a forecast of another great thing to come from you but I would have expected a '52 or'54 which I seem to recall one of those is a favorite of yours!

Take Care & Thanks for the tremendous & significant contributions you have made to Total Classics and this game overall !

Don

Kraw - You win the prize! You found the Hank Aaron for Wally Post Easter Egg that I put in the TC56 mod. :p

It's possible that the crash occurred because Aaron is on the NL All-Star team. When I created the All-Star teams, I simply made a copy of my rosters, moved players to the All-Star teams, exported the All-Star teams and then re-imported them into my final rosters.

This goes against the "approved" method of manually editing the attrib.dat roster file in a text editor and moving the players around.

The instructions recommend playing TC56 (and all the TC mods I released) with trades turned off. If you don't, you can end up with a player on multiple teams.

Since my goal was to have people play dynasties without modifying the rosters, I figured it was fine to create the All-Star teams this way.

Archived