Best of 2007

AstroEric

• 2 weeks later...

Finally going to try to answer my own survey:

Best album of 2007 - I disliked everything I've seen on most top 100 lists. Even stuff I expected to like, such as Grinderman, !!!, the White Stripes and Radioheads' new albums.

Best song of 2007 - Almost Ready by the newly reunited Dinosaur Jr.

Best movie of 2007 - Army of Shadows, which is totally cheating. If not that, There Will Be Blood (had to download this one). If not that, Hot Fuzz.

Best book of 2007 - Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine, a graphic novel

Best older album/song/movie/book you discovered this year that you now adore? - The films of Jean-Pierre Melville (see above + Le Samourai + Le Cercle Rouge + Les Enfants Terribles)

There Will Be Blood

on a scale of 1-10, how good? I've been waiting for it, and I'm most probably seeing it on Sunday. I'm guessing its between that and No Country for best picture.

9.5 good.

I'd give NCFOM a 9. Did you see the Coens' statement about making a western after Christmas? I think it might be Blood Meridian. Whoohoo!

That would be uber cool. McCarthy and the Coens are like a match made in heaven. No Country was without a doubt one of the best films I've seen to date, I'm glad they didn't stray to far from the book.

Do you have a link to that?

Best album of 2007? - Springsteen's Magic, probably. Or TMBG's The Else. Icky Thump was still great, but I was a bit disappointed by it.

Best song of 2007? I wouldn't say there's really ONE clear-cut best song...

Best movie of 2007? Tough... Probably my favorite was "Darjeeling Limited," but it was sort of a thin crop of movies this year. Also, I haven't seen some movies technically of 2007 that I should see, so I might see another one later that would be the clear cut best.

NOT Superbad though. Anything but that.

Best book of 2007? I am America and so can you.

Best older album/song/movie/book you discovered this year that you now adore? I just delved into my dad's entire jazz record collection, and I've really been hooked on a lot of great Mingus and Monk.

Fred - I forgot that Ridley Scott was already making Blood Meridian. So I have no idea what the Coens are up to. But I've been wanting them to make a western for years (though No Country For Old Men was sort of a western-noir).

From here:

Although the current film in theaters for the Coens, No Country For Old Men is kind of a Western, WENN reports that the brothers want to go all out in Spaghetti Western style, including going even further on content that won’t be for the weak of heart, with primitive torture methods used in the battle between cowboys and Indians.

Joel Coen warns: â€We've written a western with a lot of violence in it. There's scalping and hanging ... it's good. Indians torturing people with ants, cutting their eyelids off.†Of course, this being the Coen brothers, you know that will be graphic in its depiction and not just an implied violence. Still, the intent is not to make a horror picture, but a Western says Ethan Coen: "It's a proper western, a real western, set in the 1870s. It's got a scene that no one will ever forget because of one particular chicken."

I find it hard to answer most of these questions because I really don't pay much attention to pop-culture these days, too busy working on my own artistic endeavors, but the best movie would easily have to be Disturbia. It's one of the few movies this year that I can actually remember seeing.

Fred - I forgot that Ridley Scott was already making Blood Meridian. So I have no idea what the Coens are up to. But I've been wanting them to make a western for years (though No Country For Old Men was sort of a western-noir).

I lost a lot of respect for Ridley Scott after his last few movies. A Good Year? wtf? and then there was American Gangster, which was trash. I'd much rather have the greatest minds in film make this film, especially after what they did with No Country. And, nice terminology with 'western-noir'. I like that one.

From here:

Although the current film in theaters for the Coens, No Country For Old Men is kind of a Western, WENN reports that the brothers want to go all out in Spaghetti Western style, including going even further on content that won’t be for the weak of heart, with primitive torture methods used in the battle between cowboys and Indians.

Joel Coen warns: â€We've written a western with a lot of violence in it. There's scalping and hanging ... it's good. Indians torturing people with ants, cutting their eyelids off.†Of course, this being the Coen brothers, you know that will be graphic in its depiction and not just an implied violence. Still, the intent is not to make a horror picture, but a Western says Ethan Coen: "It's a proper western, a real western, set in the 1870s. It's got a scene that no one will ever forget because of one particular chicken."

This is why I love the Coens. Like that article states, they can take any genre and make a legendary movie out of it. I especially liked how they mentioned Hudsucker Proxy :D

Speaking of McCarthy though, did you read "The Road"? Was that 06 or 07? Because then I would have to put it as the top book of whichever year it was.

I am repealing my vote for There Will Be Blood, and recasting it for No Country For Old Men, which I saw again tonight.

Watching the movie is like having someone apply constant pressure to your chest for two hours, barely letting up. And the Coens were extremely crafty in the way they manufactured those feelings.

Archived